Recommendations for First Camper Van + Share Your Story

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chasey

Reaction score
Hey there everybody,

I've been addicted to the VanDweller lifestyle and doing lots of research to determine what I'd like my first van to be. As I see Vanagons, Astros, Sprinters drive by me, I feel that tug on my heartstrings. What I'd love to hear is some of your recommendations for a first-time van; I really don't need anything fancy or special, but I will be living in it full time this fall and my budget will be around 7-10k. 

What I'd fancy:

AWD / 4x4 - I snowboard and travel in the mountains frequently.
Solid reliability.
Good gas mileage.
Room for a bed.
Possibly space for stove + sink.
Option to hookup to water + electricity.
Good insulation. 

This is a lot to ask out of one van, but I've seen some awesome conversions with AWD Astro vans, and I'm very open minded. I'd love to hear some of your stories with picking out and buying your first vans.

Thanks so much!

- Chasey

Attachments

• 00p0p_b9CNr7LZWpR_1200x900.jpg
    00p0p_b9CNr7LZWpR_1200x900.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 28
I love that Stove and sink are optional- good attitude!

I’ve been a nomad for 20 years, lived on a boat, lived in a truck camper and all that, and also listened to a lot of RVers say that they bought the wrong thing initially or that their needs and wants changed as they adapted to the road.

I feel this way too. The road is different. Your wants and needs now will change when you get on the road, or over time.

Even with my experience I’m not certain of the perfect vehicle. On one hand I’m designing my dream truck and on the other looking at every RV I can find.

I’m also doing a lot of pre-visualization. Whenever I’m driving I’m imagining I’m in whatever the vehicle that seems most ideal at the time is. “How fast would I take this turn if I was in a 25 foot sprinter?” Etc.

There are too many variables and different priorities so nobody can tell you the right vehicle for you.

The correct answer is to get the vehicle that gets you out there soonest with the most flexibility.

My truck design is modular so I can move things around by unbolting them, so I can play with layout. Keep something like that in mind when you do your build.

For instance instead of building a permanent bed you might just build a bed frame out of plastic crates! Easy to shift if you decide to sleep north south instead of east west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are more questions than I have answers for, but of the 3 vehicles you listed most likely the Sprinter and Vanagon will be out of your budget IF dependability is important to you (and I would think that would be priority #1...). If you are planning to LIVE in it, I would think a high top would be important. My Chevy Express doesn't have a high top, but I don't live in it and use it for long weekends at the race track.

Don't worry too much about how it will drive. It will drive like a VAN. You need to slow down, brake earlier, and drive more defensively than you ever have in a small vehicle. Everything about driving a van is a trade off. My daily driver is a Lexus and believe me...I need to adjust my head every time I jump into my van. It's not that the driving van experience is bad, but it is different. Eventually you may find you like sitting up high and getting your trucker mode on...

Building priority should be INSULATION (and sound deadener if noise is bothersome to you). If you are on a strict budget, be sure to allow money for maintenance and fixing any high mileage components that WILL go bad and give you problems down the road. If you stick with domestic vehicles like GM or Ford parts new and used are available readily and are reasonably priced. Make sure your bed is super comfortable, since you WILL be spending a lot of time on it. Design around the bed for the rest of the build.

Last tip...YouTube is your friend. I watched LOTS of videos (still do) and learned tons before I bought my van and did the build out.

Good luck!

I agree. The needs of a van dweller will change over time. A vehicle platform that is flexible and adaptable is prolly best to start off with. There will be a period of time of "getting into the groove" at the beginning where your figuring out what works and what doesn't. And you'll be changing stuff around. Sometimes a little. Sometime radically.

And yeah, unless your a bit of a mechanical masochist, you may want to avoid VW vans... :)

Yeah, what Ralph Furley said.
Simple, durable components and it is already built for you.

Plan on 10-12 MPG though. That era 351 drinks fuel like crazy.

Better off with this one than a newer, bare-bones $10K AWD GM van with 200K on the clock.

I came across a 4x4 Short School bus for sale online two days ago. It had less than 100K on 7.3 Ford diesel engine. But I passed it up. I'm looking for a shuttle bus. Last time I talked to my dad about 4x4 and a diesel..he told me " That diesel motor and 4wd is just going to get you to sink faster on all four corners. lol. If you are anywhere where you require a 4x4 over a two wheel drive..you probably don't need to be there. LOL. My answer..We'll see.

If you going to live in it fulltime, it needs lot of insulation. You might have to add that on your own. Insulate the windows too or get a panel van with no windows. Some panel vans got a cage dividing the front of van from the back, that would be easy to insulate, otherwise you need to build your own divider or sliding door to keep the heat out. 
Finally get a swampcooler, myself I couldnt spend anytime in my van without the swampcooler. Regular fans or roof vents do nothing for the heat. AC require too much energy to run. You can run a swampcooler on 2 amps. Even in hot humid days I got it running and it keeps me cool. In humid conditions it won't cool as well but still better than just a fan.
Staying cool in your van is priority one. If I had to buy another van I would probably get another astrovan with no windows. They are reliable and the short wheelbase you can park anywhere. The later models had better gas mileage. I fitted a 240 watt panel on the roof of my 86 astrovan and that gives me all the power I need.

I have a Safari that I bought because I felt it was a good reliable vehicle, and it has been. BUT, I would pay good money for more length and the ability to stand. Also, I am still making modifications and the bed is very important. The worse part is when you are stuck inside for days due to the weather :( a bit like a cocoon! But I love this lifestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first started, I had a largish apartment. In the front room, I taped up a bunch of cardboard panels into a 7X8 "tiny house" the size of what I generally expected to live in to give me an idea of what it would feel like. It was very weird to see that entire living space made of cardboard easily fit into one room of my apartment. In fact, the bathroom was almost as big as what I had built. My mind balked at that at first. Then I ran across a free slide-in camper and lived in that through a summer and into the winter as long as I could to see how well, if at all, I could live in a smaller space. Turned out to be a remarkably easy transition once I committed to the practice run. (I didn't cheat, either. When it leaked, I dealt with it. When it got hot, I sweltered.) After I got a good feel for what it would take to shower, cook, store food, be warm/cool, have only what would fit, etc. I made my decision to build a custom slide in camper from the ground up, but that proved to be well beyond my skill level. I wasted a year working on that, but the next year, I built out a 6X12 v nose cargo trailer tall enough to stand in. I didn't go with a van, but this approach could be used to help give you an idea of what it's like and what it will take. The trailer turned out fantastic.

I tow with a 99 Dodge Ram, half ton, 4X4, with a 318/auto . It gets decent mileage and gets around great. I, too, like to get around in the mountains and such; having four wheel drive is an absolute requirement.