Recommendations for Employers at the big tent?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider1987

Reaction score
Wondering how good my prospects would be to land a job with one of the campgrounds at the big tent whilst there at the RTR.  I'm interested in camp hosting jobs, or any jobs to do with campgrounds, being as I work at one now as well (or at least till the end of my 2 weeks).  From what I gather, it seems as though most campgrounds want to hire couples with rv's, but I'm just me in a van.  Maybe a big park wouldn't hire me, which is fine, but a small one?  Just wondering if any single van dwellers have a recommendation for employers I should try and get in with.  I need to make an income so just having a free spot in exchange for time wouldn't work for me.  So if you have experience with any employers who are at the big tent, feel free to let me know, i'm looking for good recommendations ::) thank you

I worked for CLM California Land Management for 3 years and I was happy with them. But like every company, it all depends on your boss. I’ve gotten friends jobs and they hated their job because they got a bad boss. I don’t think that’s the norm, but its possible.

I still recommmend them.

Thanks Bob.  I watched your video where you walked through the big tent and I remember that part where you said you recommended them actually ::) What kind of job did you take with them and in what area of Cali?

Look for "remote hosting." If someone asks what type of rig you have, just mention you want to go remote. Good luck

What is a remote hosting position like, exactly?  I guess it's...remote.  It would be a bit scary being a solo female, to be out where there wasn't any help around though...

American Land and Leisure hired us the first day we went last year, Very nice people running that company. We asked for remote, it was around Lake Tahoe, they gave a company truck, and there was a head manager not too far away, I think it was around 10 miles from town.

This year we applied online with California Land Management and landed a job in the Sequoias.

Remote are gonna be the campgrounds out a little ways, but they still get busy. In the gorgeous areas.

Relaxing, the perfect job, you're out in gorgeous land, your job isn't hard, clean up the camping areas, the bathrooms, do the book keeping for the money. Be very nice to people, sometimes you have to ask people to keep the noise down, you just have to be polite and there's no issues. On weekends you can take time and go around the surrounding areas and explore.

I'm sure bob can tell you at great length with all his experiences.

Waverider1987, looking for the same info. Most workamper jobs want a couple, not having too much luck being single. Also, I see that some jobs have requirements about your rig, not wanting older RV units etc....
I will keep an eye on this thread, if anyone has any info, please chime in..
Thx, Roger

Folks, this is just a friendly reminder that many of us have limited bandwidth so we ask that you carefully trim any quotes you include to the bare minimum. When you are reading on a phone, and you have to read the same post twice to get a new comment, it can be frustrating--especially if there are pictures!

Be kind and trim!! :)

Sounds similar to the job I have now. I work at a city park, and am there alone at night a lot. Sometimes there's campers, sometimes not. The job pays minimum wage which unfortunately in my living situation isn't enough to live on but if I had a free site and got paid, it would be perfect. Being remote would be nice because I don't like having to deal with toooo many people. Some is ok. Cleaning bathrooms is horrible when the public is using them constantly throughout the day, and some people seriously disrespect the bathrooms purposely. I would love to never have to clean up after the public again but maybe that's just wishful thinking lol. Again though, nobody would probably hire me though because I don't have an rv, just a van. But maybe. Is it advised to bring a copy of a resume to the big tent when talking to employers?

if you go with the remote campgrounds, they don't care what you have. they just want a warm body. highdesertranger

waverider1987 said:
Again though, nobody would probably hire me though because I don't have an rv, just a van.  But maybe.  Is it advised to bring a copy of a resume to the big tent when talking to employers?

We got hired when we were only living in our 2000 E150 Van and didn't bring a resume. Just sat down talked to them, told them we really wanted to work, and they hired us right there.

waverider1987,

I thumbed through some of your pictures up on Flicker. You seem to have a keen eye for framing various subjects. Some are exceptional!

Hopefully you can make some money with your Photography Talent.

-Mike

WanderLoveJosh said:
We got hired when we were only living in our 2000 E150 Van and didn't bring a resume. Just sat down talked to them, told them we really wanted to work, and they hired us right there.

That's the other thing though...you came as a package deal.   How many campground are willing to hire a solo van dweller?

One of our members, Rubber tramp artist, was single and in a van. She has had no problem finding work camping jobs. She’s also written a book.

I’m looking for a link.

The positions they have the most problems filling are 25 miles or more from a real grocery store and have no hookups. The smaller campgrounds they only want to pay one person. I'm single and have worked for CLM (in OR) and Hoodoo as a camp host. (Hoodoo is on OR and WA) As a company, I liked Hoodoo better, but it depends on your boss.

You may want to contact the companies now for better campground selection. See if ;you can talk to a supervisor for that region that can recommend a campground that fits you better, not everyone wants the same things.

Thanks all. I like the idea of remote camp hosting but I wonder if I would get bored and/or lonely being by myself for that long. I see the appeal to it though, and definitly don't mind being alone, but I hate being lonely. I'm also looking at jobs on coolworks, maybe something fun in alaska this summer. But it's nice to know all the options that are out there. I think a remote hosting job would definitly be a nice gig, esp if i wasn't feeling so "people-y", which is more than often the case.

I'm wondering what the pay is like for these remote hosting jobs. And the schedule. Does anyone care to share their experience with this?

Latest posts