recomendation for frig in a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
Hi,

I went to last RTR and meet a lot of great people.
I am looking into getting a van and was wondering if
you all, could make some recommendations for a low volt refrig and set up?

Can I have a frig that runs on a battery only?

Still looking into getting a vehicle but know for sure, I am going to need
a frig.

Thanks for your help,
Rachel

Hello Rachel, there are many good brands of 12 volt fridge out there... many swear by Dometic or ARB - I have an Edgestar in my van. There are many on here much much smarter than I, but, all will say you will need to have a solar setup to keep the battery charged. Good luck with your new adventure. - bpdchief

Engel is great quality, last a long time and very efficient. But if you see a great deal on the size you want, they all are pretty decent.

Note a battery bank just stores energy, you need to ensure you have enough power input from a charge source like solar, alternator, generator or shore power overnight

to supply the energy you use each day.

Most fridges consume 25-50AH per 24 hours if conditions are favorable, sometimes less but you need to size your power setup for worst case.

Are you living off grid, or just weekend camping?

Two Truckfridges here, happy with them. They also are labeled as: Vitrifrigo, Isotherm and another brand I think, but brain ain't working too well this late.
Ted

2 Whynter 85 Qt units here In use for 2 1/2 years full-time. 1 is set at 40F for fridge use and the other at 0F for use as a freezer.

Extremely happy with mine. The only thing I did with them is to cut off the ciggie style 12V plugs and wire them directly to the fuse box. If I ever want to unplug them from 12V I can always disconnect the line at the fridge end.

Some manufacturers don't have removable cords, particularly the 12V kind so a little harder to disconnect if you cut off the plug ends. Also some come with minimal settings whereas the Whynters are infinitely adjustable by temperature (rather than a 'coldest to cold' range).

Rachel said:
Can I have a frig that runs on a battery only?

A 100 watt solar panel should be sufficient to supply an Alpicool C15 or C20.  According to slim potatohead on you tube it is 5.8 amp hours per day set to 35F inside a 90F travel trailer.   A car battery with daily driving is not going to be enough.  A bigger battery with alternator charging might work but it will require hours of driving.  

It is very small and very low power.

Almost There said:
The only thing I did with them is to cut off the ciggie style 12V plugs and wire them directly to the fuse box. If I ever want to unplug them from 12V I can always disconnect the line at the fridge end.
very smart ditching the ciggie plug connection

Anderson PowerPole is an excellent way to keep dis/connectability

I use the cigarette lighter plug on my Engle. My house batteries are not hooked up to the alternator, so I plug it into the front socket when driving and when I stop, I plug it into the socket wired into the house batteries.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

My next question is, how much solar will I need for a fridge?

Thank you so much!

Rachel

How big a fridge? 12V compressor type right?

How hot ambient temps? Good ventilation?

Reliable bright sunshine?

Are you conservative about food safety?

Not used as a freezer right?

Short answer: 200-300W should be plenty

Some claim to get by fine with 100W.

I run two 12v Engels on 175 watts. I have never had a problem even in extended cloudy weather. but that's me I would go for 100 watt panel or better for one. highdesertranger

Thank you highdesertranger said:
I run two 12v Engels on 175 watts.  I have never had a problem even in extended cloudy weather.  but that's me I would go for 100 watt panel or better for one.  highdesertranger
I appreciate your short and helpful answer.
Rachel :)

Latest posts