recliner v sofa

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wazowski

Reaction score
Guys, what do you think about recliners in RVs? Worth it or it's better to buy a sofa? I'd like to reorganize my space in the RV and I think about replacing a big sleeping place with a small recliner. I don't sure that buying a recliner is a good idea because I've never tried to sleep in special recliners for sleeping. Share your thoughts!

I love recliners. I've been sleeping in a recliner for years -- I can't even remember how long now. I think I started when I had something broken, like ribs or an ankle maybe, anyway something that made it really painful to lie down in or get up out of a regular bed. Once I tried a recliner, I never even thought about moving back to a bed.

I think one of the best features of a recliner is that you can get all comfortable reading or watching TV and when you get sleepy you just turn off the lights. EZ livin' fer sure.

Recliners in RVs are great. They give you a whole 'nother living area that was once just filled with a bed. The trick is to get one that will fit through the 24" doorway of an RV. There are plenty of them out there, though. A regular furniture store won't know what you're talking about, but Camping World and E-Trailer and several other outlets have lots of them available.

Enjoy!

Johnny

I have a trailer. Removed part of the U-dinette and put in a recliner. Prob my best mod ever! Got it off of CL and it has a removable back, so install was easy. Slept on it one night during an overnight at a Walmart (I have a hybrid and didn't want to open it). That was horrible, though.

If you know you can sleep soundly every night in a recliner, go for it. If you don't know whether you can, you might want to try it before committing to it.

I need to sleep flat in a dedicated sleeping area so I can sleep on my side, and even on my stomach. I tried sleeping a recliner...no go !

I do love my overstuffed, leather rocker/recliner better than a couch any day of the week for watching TV, but not to sleep in.

I love sleeping in a recliner.... haven't slept in a bed in 10-years. (not once)

People like different things.... like ice cream.

I am a side-sleeper....and manage it quite well in a recliner. I second being able to just turn out the light and I'm asleep already.

My mother had back problems so she slept in a recliner for the last twenty years of her life. I've considered trying it in my van, but haven't found a recliner yet.

I'd try sleeping in one before committing. A recliner will not afford me a moment of sleep, but I've never been a good sleeper. I need a flat bed, with the head a few inches higher than the foot. And coil springs instead of foam.

But that's just me.

Sleeping in one a while for committing is the absolute and only way. They are best for side-sleepers, as they tend to be angled a bit up where the knee is and down where your butt is. That's fine for a side-sleeper and terrible otherwise.

They are also best for someone usually fairly short -- maybe not women, but men, yes. It is not too odd to have your legs bent out of shape and stressed at the knee from being rested on a high armrest for an hour or two, but wake up that way, and it can HURT. And if you are a side-sleeper, you probably have A side -- not two. So you can't just flip over. You're stuck on that side or else flat forever. The opposite side is a no-go. If there is no way for you to even out the pressure on your knees, you will be in pain every night, and go through all kinds of sweats and contortions to relieve it. Not a good night's sleep!

Good luck finding a recliner long enough for you. And you'll need it, and inches to spare ... for your pillow, or your arm or anything that pushes you up or down vertically in sleep. If you need your feet to not be raised on the armrest, for instance, you might wake up with your feet free of that armrest but the rest of your body and head and neck crimped and curled up to accommodate the space your legs needed ... and a mighty neck-ache indeed.

One more note -- the recliners I'm used to being on have been extremely heavy. Be sure you want to commit to so much weight instead of a vastly lighter solution such as a solid-framed futon.

I use a wall away double recliner sofa in my RV. Took the dinette and the back breaking fold up RV couch out of the slide and put the sofa there. Weight ended up about the same, so no issues there. Using a sofa allows me to either sleep in the recliner or stretch out on the sofa.  Best of both worlds.  :)
Also, using a wall away meant I could still use the recliner when the slide was closed.

Attachments

• DSC01699.JPG
    DSC01699.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01210.JPG
    DSC01210.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 12312409_54.jpg
    12312409_54.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 19