Rear tires GMC Savana 2500

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somers

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with the Yokohama GEO ATG 015 tire as far as boondocking?
Reviews seem favorable but I would like to hear any feedback or opinions.
2017 GMC Savana 2500
Jim

I have Yokohama Geolander A/T (snowflake) LT 265-16 E's on the back of mine. These may be the precursor to what you are looking at as those sound pretty new. Mine have held up well with no big rock cuts and is not noisy on the highway. I also have Yokohama HTX tires on the front. These have held up well to the sharp desert rock's too.

I have Yokohama Geolander A/T (snowflake) LT 265-16 E's on the back of mine. These may be the precursor to what you are looking at as those sound pretty new. Mine have held up well with no big rock cuts and is not noisy on the highway. I also have Yokohama HTX tires on the front. These have held up well to the sharp desert rock's too.

Somers, I have the same van although 2016. The first thing I questioned was regarding inflation pressure on those tires, as GMC recommends 80 PSI for the rears, and 50 PSI fronts .... although I'm not really sure why this is so, or how it might relate to AT versus normal road tires. Same, different ???

The chart for that tire shows 80 PSI maximum is ok for the particular tire size our vans use, but only 50 PSI for other sizes.
https://tirepsi.com/yokohama-geolandar-a-t-g015-tire-pressure
"LT245/75R16 120/116S 120/116 3087 / 2756 lbs 80 psi"

I do like the tread design on those tires, and plan to get AT tires when the present OEM ones wear out (currently at 30,000 miles and about 1/2 wear). Better for BLM roads than stock road tires.

The rears carry more of the weight than the front. Mine is 80 rear and 50 front also. I run the fronts at 55 to get rid of a little of the squirrly feel.

Yes, I was also looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
Just want to get the best advantage when it comes to getting unstuck and not getting stuck. I do have traction mats. This will be the first time Boondocking and want privacy but not extreme off road situations.

Somers said:
Yes, I was also looking at the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
Just want to get the best advantage when it comes to getting unstuck and not getting stuck. I do have traction mats. This will be the first time Boondocking and want privacy but not extreme off road situations.
Personally, I think the bigger issue is the possibility of rock punctures in the tires when going down BLM roads, since with RWD, you can't really go into 4x4 off-road situations in any case. 2 years ago, I got the van stuck in loose sand over near Anza Borrego, and that was after the host in the CG said it was alright to go in there. Anymore, I am "extremely" careful where I drive.

Another issue,[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] from the looks of it,[/font] I think the tread design on the GY Duratrac is too aggressive for my tastes. I once had Wranglers on my old Jeep Cherokee, and the handling was extremely squirrelly with hard braking on pavement when in RWD. But that might have been old design treads too.

Thanks for taking the time for your posts
This is the type of feedback I’m looking for.
Getting on the road next week!

Eventually, you'll want the same tires on the front so you can do regular rotations. And though it's not necessary, it's nice to have the same tire on the spare.

General consensus is same tires all around for easy tire rotations to even out the wear on all 4 tires at the same time. I don't rotate and only need to replace two tires at a time. If my front tires were to start wearing funny, it would be the time to take it to the shop to see what front end component is about gone.

My spare is a different make but the same size and specifications. It is kept at 80 psi (easy to let air out). Next tire replacement, one of the replaced tires becomes the spare. That way I am not lugging around a really old tire.

Latest posts