Rear License Plate Stealth Vent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
I have an idea to put some kind of vent behind the rear license plate. I am going to put two vents in the van. One passive input and the second with a 3 or 5 inch (not sure which yet) computer fan to draw the air out. I am going to build the interior of the van fairly air tight so good venting is vital.

It would probably be simpler to keep the license plate vent as the passive one as I will want to have the option of opening the rear door and adding the computer fan there would complicate things.

81UlB3utD3L._SY355_.jpg

My main question or concern would be how to get maximum air flow but still be 100% rain proof. Up here in the PNW it rains alot so I dont want any moisture problems via the vent.

I was thinking of using either 1/2 inch or one inch spacers to elevate the plate off the plate cover. Then use 1x1 wood strips to build a frame that would mate with the top and sides of the plate but not the bottom. This would create an air gap and would seem to be good to keep rain out.

Thoughts?

b4b1bd80aa1279e19818c0aaf5c93079.jpg

Wranglers have a vent in the tailgate that allows air to flow but protects from water intrusion. They just push into position. Pick-ups have similar units in the back of the cab. Most vehicles have these vents somewhere. I'm thinking a little pick& pull searching could yield something of appropriate size.

If you do want to use wood try a plastic wood as it can be cut like wood, glued, and won't absorb moisture

Bdog1 that looks cool, but uh... a big part of the reason to do this is stealth and I am not sure that vent looks stealthy.

As to "plastic wood" great idea! Can I get that at Home Depot?

I should mention that I will be urban stealth camping pretty much 100% of the time in the same area due to family and job so for me stealth is super important.

Something to think about. A vent in the rear may draw exhaust fumes in when traveling.

When you frame in a window first you put in a sheet-metal "L" flashing so water can't flow up and into the wall. I think that's all you would need. Either bend or cut it to cover the three sides but leave the bottom open and exposed. You can get them different widths so get like 1/2 inch and cover it with the license plate so no one could see it. Their cheap and you cut them with tin-snips
Bob

Good tip Bob, thanks!

As to exhaust issues... that could be an issue. However, I will probably make some kind of adjustable cover so that I can adjust how large the vent opening will be on the inside. I could possibly use a large 6" PCV pipe and then have the ability to put a cap on the end. Mainly though I want that vent open when I am not driving.

I think a close-able vent inside the flashing would work well. Home Depot has everything you need. But it wouldn't close tight enough to keep out dust and carbon monoxide. Maybe a snap-on cover on the inside?

Today's vehicles put out so little carbon monoxide, it is nearly impossible to kill yourself in a garage like you used to. I'm sure you'd be sick from breathing the fumes, but it's unlikely you will die. It really isn't the worry it used to be.
Bob

akrvbob said:
... carbon monoxide...
I took my 89 dodge b250 van from Ithaca NY to Fort Lauderdale in July, 1999. It was hot, and I didn't have a/c, so I opened the back window. The back window would swing out a couple of inches. I was getting sick as a dog from the fumes, and thought I had an issue to work on. Then I noticed printed on the window "do not drive with window open as it will suck in carbon monoxide". I do some really dumb stuff sometimes.

Plastic wood can be purchased at any home center. When doing mods it may work better than wood in some applications. One is in moist areas and the other is its ability to bend easily to conform to curves in the vehicle.

All US made vehicles since 1968 ( ? ) have flow through ventilation -- when the heat / A/C are off -- the fans still turn - and theirs vents at or near the rear -- unless the O/P is looking for more venting ?

I was thinking of the vent under the tag. Ford van is just cheap plastic under there. You could cut it with a utility knife.

Another thing to consider when mounting vents in the rear --- the rear vacuum created by driving -- exhaust fumes can be pushed into the vehicle ?