rear end whine (new to me van)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chevy dealer would be happy to do the new rear..$
Many junk yards will do a swap for you.
The u-joint would be a cheap shot in the dark but you might get lucky.

the play is normal. the gears have backlash. the seal needs replaced obviously. like the other poster said you need to go through it and make sure its all in spec. doing that is better than getting a junkyard special.

Took it to a local shop. He got under it with his scope.  Rear diff making lots of noise, pinion too.  He recommended a full axle assembly.  Cheaper than rebuild.  Said he was hoping to find  a newer one.  I have a 99 1500 chevy express 5.7.  3.43 gear 10 bolt rear.  Gonna call me tomorrow with a price.  He said the salvage yards offer 6 months warranty.   Any specific questions I should ask him before I go ahead with this? 
Thanks 
-e

I would ask why I would want a mystery part thats been sitting in a junk yard, versus a fresh rebuild with all new bearings and seals. he's talking a whole assembly that means the axles and brakes too. then you're getting some mystery wheel cylinders, pads, and hardware.

what you have is a worn carrier and/or pinion bearing. and most likely a pinion given the leaking at the spline. There's nothing actually broken in the gears.

Honestly if all he did was put a "scope" on it and said 'yep it makes noise' I would be skeptical. YMMV

bardo has a good point. are you getting a warranty? that video you posted shows your ring and pinion has to much free play(backlash). the recommended backlash for a 10 bolt is .008 as you can tell you have way more. so let's see, way to much backlash and lots of noise. yep you need a rebuild. me personally I wouldn't put a dime into a 10 bolt they are super light duty axles. ideally a 14 bolt full floater would be the way to go. however I don't know if you are willing to drop that much money into your van. I believe the 14 bolt semi floater came in the 3/4 ton vans in 5 lug bolt pattern which is a vast improvement over a 10 bolt. you have some decisions to make. highdesertranger

It's the same differential I have in my truck. If taken care of they go and go. I just run 80w-90 GL5 in mine but change it every year. If you drive off road, loose dirt or sand, then you may want to ask about including a G80 (Gov Lock) locking differential. It might save you from getting stuck sometime.

I've got a G80 and it's has it's pluses and minuses, but it's the locking differential (vs. open) you're likely to find with a used axle.

When one wheel spins 120 rpm faster than the other it locks the rear axle. Under 20 mph only.

My G80 story... I was visiting family in Florida. On return to Georgia where we were living (Ft Gordon) at the time it began raining really hard. It was late, dark, and a moonless night; I made a wrong turn down a back road. A car was behind me and I wanted to make a u-turn. To let the car go by, I pulled 3/4 of the way off the road. The passenger side tires sunk deep into the Georgia mud. My wife and our 6-month old baby in between us, afraid, and I was like OH NO! I thought it was going to get ugly! Happily, it was no problem at all. The G80 pulled us right back up on the road. Now, when in doubt, I like to keep one back tire on the asphalt.

there's a guy that advertises he does rear end rebuilds on my local craigslist,you might want to check there

BadSaver said:
Another differential option is an Eaton TruTrac...

That's what I had put in my 9 & 1/4" Chrysler differential after much research. They are highly rated.

Honestly... Im just trying to get this thing back on the road.  I have a 8000 mile road trip planned in less than a month and I'm starting to freak out!  I'm so confused about what to do.  Haven't really started with building out the van (have lots of the components already though). Hard to if the diff is not right!  What should I do?  Thoughts? My wife is gonna kill me if it's not ready! It's a 5 lug by the way.

get a used one with a warranty. if it makes any noise take it back immediately. highdesertranger

I'd be ok putting a junk yard one in if it has a warranty. I've had some good luck swapping junk yard parts in cars including a rear end and tranny.

In the shop I worked in, we always got motors / transmissions / rear ends from junkyards, the owner had had much better luck with JY parts than 'rebuilt' ones from local rebuilders

When I installed my 9.25 500$ junkyard rear axle and found it was noisier than the one I removed, I was not going to unhook it, borrow a friend's truck, and return it and demand my money back and begin another search in an area with more than a dozen junkyards, for a 3.55 ratio axle from a dodge van which would fit, I said F it and took it to a driveline shop to have new bearings installed a week later when I acquired the funds

In theory i could have just had the original 8 3/8 axle rebuilt for about $900 assuming the R&P were reusable, the spiders were NOT, but spent ~1300 for a the junkyard axle then putting new bearings in that. The workers wanted to replace the R&P but the owner of the shop said that was not required and set the preload himself.

That was the last mechanic other than myself who has worked on my vehicle and that was in march of 08

Mechanic found one.  1 year warranty including labor.  800 including labor.  It's a newer assembly (07 or 09)  Still 5 lug. Gear ratio is higher.  I have a 3.43 and the new part is 3.7something... The price ain't bad.  He came recommended from 2 different car people.  Pretty sure that I'm gonna do it.  What you think the mpg difference will be?  It's the 5.7l... Doesn't seem to need a higher ratio... What do you all think in general?  Thanks again for all the help! 
E

that's a higher numerical number which means a lower ratio. you will have a little better low end torque but you will turn more RPM's at highway speed. if you slow down a bit you shouldn't notice any difference in mpg. highdesertranger

you have overdrive so next to nothing on mpg

depending on time and budget-good time to replace the seals while it sitting in the open

surfmore72 said:
  It's a newer assembly (07 or 09)  Still 5 lug. Gear ratio is higher.  I have a 3.43 and the new part is 3.7something... The price ain't bad.  

It will pull slightly better in the hills. And probably 3:73 gears. A common GM gear ratio.