Rear AC for Shorty Bluebird

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz

Reaction score
My mechanic is testing out my AC and called me earlier to ask about how and when I removed the read AC because the coolant lines that used to run to that unit have been cut/broken and your AC won't hold pressure.
There never was a rear AC. Rear heat? Yes. No rear AC.
One part of the coolant line had a plug of some sort and the other line was just open to the world and broken cracked on the end of the line.

I need some help with what to do. 
Has anyone here seen this? 
Can we just cap those lines and charge the system and see if it runs?
What about running copper from one to the other?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I will post pictures as a comment in a moment.

You can not just hook them together. One of those lines held high pressure liquid and the other low pressure gas. Without the evaporator turn the liquid into a gas the liquid will make it back to the compressor that can only handle the gas. Things will get ugly after that as the compressor hydro-locks and the belt starts smoking.

Can we just cap those lines and charge the system and see if it runs? no

What about running copper from one to the other? no

your best bet is to get new lines for a model without rear AC and install them. if one of the lines has been open for any length of time you have problems. BTW who ever you have doing the work should know all this if they don't they shouldn't be working on this. find someone that knows what they are doing. highdesertranger