Real world gas mileage of dodge b-series vans (what about hi-top?)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Van-Tramp said:
1989 Dodge B250 extended with high top (not the real tall one)
350ci 5.9l V8, EFI, 3-speed trans

I average, over a year, 12.8 MPG. I am pleased when I get 13's and above.
On highway driving at 50-55mph I can get up to 15 MPG depending on elevation (higher elevation = better MPG)
When towing my MPG drops by about 20% (into the 10-11's) depending on weight of trailer.

All my measurements are taken at each fillup of 300 miles or more.

I have written an article on my MPG challenges at http://www.van-tramp.com/wp/increasing-the-mpg-in-the-big-blue-van/

We have basically the same van, and not surprisingly, the same mileage figures!   Good to know that both vans are running well.

I was concerned when I replaced the lockup trans with a non locking older 727, but the figures show that there is no difference between the two.

slow2day said:
 I have a '91 TBI 5.2 (regular top) with OD and get 10 mpg city and 16 mpg highway.
I have a 2003 with exactly that set up, 5.2, regular top, and fairly short. I think it's around 17 ft. Took it on a 200 mile trip and got 16 on the highway. 
That was a shakedown run, and I still have a few bugs to work out. I think the rear brakes were dragging a bit. That, and a few other things I need to attend to, then check it again.
So far I really like that little 318.

1986 DODGE B250 van with 5.2L carburated engine, extended cab with fiberglass bubble top. Got 7.5 MPG loaded down from San Jose, CA to Reno, NV. This was with a detuned carburator, out of time engine, tough tires with thick sidewalls, running rough and very rich.

debit.servus said:
1986 DODGE B250 van with 5.2L carburated engine, extended cab with fiberglass bubble top. Got 7.5 MPG loaded down from San Jose, CA to Reno, NV. This was with a detuned carburator, out of time engine, tough tires with thick sidewalls, running rough and very rich.
That poor little 318 was handicapped in more than a few ways then, so in light of all that I suppose 7.5 MPG was OK under the circumstances.

1986 Dodge 15 passenger extended body 1 ton, low top, 318 w/727 auto trans.

15 City/18 Highway

Sweet spot seems to be 78 MPH...

Off Grid 24/7 said:
1986 Dodge 15 passenger extended body 1 ton, low top, 318 w/727 auto trans.

15 City/18 Highway

Sweet spot seems to be 78 MPH...

That is pretty darned GOOD! How many miles on it?

I own 2 Ford vans and track every tankful.

1998 Ford E150 Club Wagon 4.2 V6-15.5 mpg calculated driving 27,000 miles.
2004 E350 6.0 diesel-7-10 mpg city and 20-21 mpg highway @70 mph.  I have put on 2000 miles.  Fuel economy is not real world yet as most of the driving is city and I am doing a lot maintenance to make this van road worthy.  

My friend drives an extended 1 ton 1999 dodge and he gets 8 mpg if he is lucky.  

Our church had either a 70's or 80's van with the slant 6 engine and that thing could drive to Mexico from San Francisco on a tank.

Ballenxj said:
That poor little 318 was handicapped in more than a few ways then, so in light of all that I suppose 7.5 MPG was OK under the circumstances.

It it still a poor little 318. No money for repair and same story under the hood

Here is a post from an older thread (https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Average-MPG-in-your-Van):
(For the 1986 DODGE B-250 extended bubble-top van, travelling mostly loaded for 260 miles from Reno, NV to south San Jose, CA. Mostly on freeway going 25-40 uphill and 55-70 on flat land, with a few stops totalling no more than four miles. Filling the 35 gallon tank to the brim with two bottles of SEAFOAM added into the tank before leaving Reno, the van consumed approximately 18 gallons of gas for a 260 mile trip, giving the van a fuel economy of 14.4 MPG. I am not sure if the two full bottles of SEAFOAM put in the tank helped the MPG or not. When I arrived in my parents driveway the fuel gauge was at half, and because the gauge range is beyond the chart when the tank if full and running on fumes; this is why I approximate 18 gallons.

Idling is horrible fuel economy likely because the engine timing belt is de-timed (time is a measurement of cycles, or frequency of cycles, time is an illusion). Idling the van for around eight hours total on the playa to keep the starter battery charged, consumed id say 1/3rd of the tank (I filled the tank to the brim in Reno before trekking 123 miles to Black Rock City, gas gauge was a couple millimeter south of full when the van arrived at camp), when I egressed Burning Man the fuel gauge was square on half full. So about 14 gallons of gas burned just running the engine to turn over the alternator.

City is a different story, I would guesstimate 11 MPG travelling mundane San Jose streets.

I am not sure on GVW, however the sticker says 6400 LBS. Add in a guess of 500 pounds of stuff with 500 pounds for the Burning Man trip, plus 200 LBS for my conscious physical body. So lets say 7600 LBS. I need to weigh everything that stays in the van to get a true number.
_____Would imagine the 3000' downhill added a few MPG.

_____There has to be an error in calculation on that above quote... Higher MPG than what the rating says for a empty regular-top non-extended cab?