Real non stick pans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makenmend

Reaction score
Have tried a few over time but non were real non stick. So after researching I found the best reviewed ones were expensive, but one that was still good value and almost as good in practice was ordered. Only a month in use and so far really pleased that it does indeed cook without any hint of sticking at all, Plus clean up is easy. Helpful in a van.
I have no affiliation with this brand at all.
I was surprised to find this brand now at Walmart while shopping there recently. I now have a 2nd smaller pan in use with the same results.

The brand is Calphalon.

MM

Calphalon was always a premium brand, but fact they're selling through Wally's is suss IMO.

Any non-stick will wear off, slower if you only use wood and silicon, never touch the surface with metal.

Some fear the chemical coming off into food.

Personally cast-iron kept well seasoned is the way to go. Or stainless over copper.

yep I don't want to eat any of the non-stick stuff. everyone I have ever seen eventually wears off. the better ones just take longer. cast iron and stainless is the way to go IMHO. highdesertranger

The Calphalon set I owned did not have any coating at all... and they were non-stick! I gave them away earlier this year because my kids bought me a different set from Walmart that do have the coating... I am giving them away this month. My mom just bought me the Copper Chef Pro set from Sam's Club... it says, "Cerami-Tech Nonstick Coating means nothing sticks to the pan"... Cammalu also has these pans. I think she said after a few bacon fries that they're not as non-stick as the price indicates?? I will use them because they're free!! LOL

2nd vote for cast iron. A well seasoned cast iron pan will be a snap to clean and much, much healthier.

+3 on the cast iron!

After replacing 'non stick' pans that weren't every 6 months or so I finally went back to the old cast iron pan. Well it was new to me - Lodge cast iron pans are stocked in the camping section of WalMart at very reasonable prices. IMO they should be in the cookware section but then they'd never sell repeated versions of the non stick pans, now would they!!

Cast iron is good, but has problems. I have a skillet I bought at Ollie's; Cuisinart model # 722-20NS. True non stick with anything I cook. Wipes out with a paper towel. No sign of lost coating after 2 years.

+4 on cast iron.  I have my grandmother's #7 Griswold pan, been non-stick almost 100 years.

I'm not a fan of Lodge; I don't like the rough cast interior.

-- Spiff

4 years using this one...wipes with limited washing. The bottom can handle the heat and dissipates heat quite well as it has a circled heat sink type bottom.

Mine is a jumbo, however, I'm impressed with the quality. Bargain buy for what you get. I love the jumbo as I can saute a ton of veggies and sauces for left overs. Besides my Cuisinart Pressure Cooker, this is my go to.

Check Amazon reviews: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000F5K...her-smile-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-4&th=1

yeah my 2 cast iron fry pans and lids came from grandma, I would say they are 80 years old minumum. no doubt the older stuff is better as far as finish. but my Dutch ovens are Lodge, made in USA. I just bought a Wagner chicken fryer from Suanne very nice pan. thank you Suanne. the nice thing about cast iron is you can always reseason it for a brand new non stick finish. so far I have never had to do that. highdesertranger

AbuelaLoca said:
The Calphalon set I owned did not have any coating at all... and they were non-stick! I gave them away earlier this year because my kids bought me a different set from Walmart that do have the coating... I am giving them away this month. My mom just bought me the Copper Chef Pro set from Sam's Club... it says, "Cerami-Tech Nonstick Coating means nothing sticks to the pan"... Cammalu also has these pans. I think she said after a few bacon fries that they're not as non-stick as the price indicates?? I will use them because they're free!! LOL

I've had a couple of the new non stick ceramic pans. Can't say they lived up to the advertising. Definitely not a true non stick pan.  A well seasoned cast iron skillet does a much better job.

I do indeed have cast iron skillets!! I've had them for many, many years. I've been cooking on an electric stove from the 70s for the past 20 or so years, and cast iron is not as great on that, no it isn't. I also like new, shiny stuff, so I'm gonna enjoy the new pans when I finally go full time! But I'll always have my cast iron ready for the fire!!

Seasoned high carbon steel or well seasoned cast have been the only surfaces I have found to approach non-stick status. Friend does like her dimpled ceramic coated pan, though.

Latest posts