Ready for front brake rotors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
OK after spending some time in the Nevada ups-n-downs my "original" front brake rotors are touchy at best. ready for some serious slotted drilled or major upgrade got cash got ebay got the desire to STOP. any recommendations??

I think the most important thing is to get quality rotors. made in USA or Canada. I believe the drilled slotted stuff is just fu fu to get you to spend money. Bendix, Wagner, Raybestos just watch the country of origin. BTW made in Europe or Brazil is also good. stay away from the Asian stuff unless Japan or Korean. highdesertranger

I'll second HDR... I'd also add that the quality and composition of the pads will have a bigger impact on the performance of your brakes than drilled/slotted rotors. Note that some of the ceramic based pads will wear rotors allot quicker than organic pads.
Vern

Agreed on the drilled and slotted. No real benefits other than on the track.

I have brembo rotors, made in Mexico, and Hawk HPS pads. Onceupon a time, my brakes were scary and anemic. That is far from true today.

Just get OEM replacement rotors, then spend a few extra bucks on grippier brake pads.

I had to get one new rotor. Napa. It is of questionable quality. It needs to be replaced after less than one year.

Good info thanks spent some time at "Big Creek" 14 day free camp ground just south/west of Austin Nv.12 mile good dirt road very very quiet took in the hot tub at "3 bars" road another not so great dusty dirt road but doable

always replace rotors and drums in pairs. I am curious Weight, why do you need another rotor in less than a year? highdesertranger

It has worn about 1/8 inch from the pads. Every thing new except the, like new, left rotor. I had to change the right rotor due to previous owner's mechanic tightening the lugs, causing the threads to spall ( or gall) until the studs spun free in the hub. I plan to tack weld studs into the original hub. I should put the Napa hub and rotor someplace satisfying to an old astard like me.

Like HDR said you replace them in pairs.  Also like he said check country of origin.  NAPA and all the other parts stores offer different grades of parts and they are priced accordingly.  Cheap means China.  The reason NAPA and all the other stores sell parts Made in China is because too many people are looking at price and make their choice based on what's cheapest.  Just sayin.  You have to ask!!!!!

I'll agree with what's been said

Even racecars do not use drilled rotors anymore. Ferrari even admitted they're garbage but use them for looks. They crack.

The best thing for brakes are pads, braided lines, and high temp fluid.

http://automotivethinker.com/brakes-2/rotors-blank-vs-cross-drilled-vs-slotted-and-warping/

I'll reiterate braided lines and high wet boil point fluid. That's what matters the most going downhill with a bunch of weight.

With stock fluid and lines on the road racing bikes it takes about two laps for the brakes to fade 90% gone. When you put lines and fluid in and keep the rest the same you will lift the rear wheel in the brake zone at 170mph every lap for 10-20 laps. It makes that much of a difference.

Ferrodo or ebc is the way to go IMO for pads and rotors

Thanks people I have been relying on low with the Overdrive off for serious downgrades and am overweight added a "Preditor2000" Generator and looking to remove some cast iron and assorted spare wires and tool doubles. will have a good old honest weigh-in at the Oasis curve truck scale end of June. Tioga pass is not scheduled to open till later July.

wagoneer said:
Good info thanks spent some time at "Big Creek" 14 day free camp ground just south/west of Austin Nv.12 mile good dirt road very very quiet took in the hot tub at "3 bars" road another not so great dusty dirt road but doable

So what is this "hot tub" you speak ok? Hot spring?

For those reading this that don't know, if you get a violent shimmy while trying to brake going down hill, you have warped rotors. Sometimes a shop can true them by milling them flat again, but that should only be done once with a set of rotors. And since the rotors will be slightly thinner they'll warp again sooner. It's better (though more costly) to just replace the rotors (with new pads, of course).

So Just west of Austin Nv. on 50 "3 Bar road" to "power line road" very quiet just a cement tub for 2.

So what is this "hot tub" you speak ok? Hot spring?
[/quote]