Raising the roof of a Dodge Caravan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winfieldj

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Dodge Caravan that I currently use for weekend camping and also plan to travel across Canada and USA from May - September of next year.  I would like to modify this van by raising the roof to standing height, approximately 6ft total height from floor to roof and add a van conversion kit.  Some might be asking why.  Well, I will be living in the vehicle throughout the time on the road, almost 6ft tall and prefer standing room to move about in the vehicle, especially on a rainy day at the camp site. 

Is this do-able without jeopardizing the structural integrity of the vehicle?  Would such a modification change the classification of the vehicle as per the highway traffic Act in both countries?  Is there a company that can safely to such a modification?  I plan to keep this vehicle for the long-term.

Thank you, winfieldj :huh:

I'm not an expert, but I have seen them with fiberglass high tops. Check with fiberine in Los Angeles, CA to see if they make a top for your van.

Fiberine.com

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

There are minivans modified with higher roofs to be used as wheelchair vans. So it has been done. I don't know about structural integrity, but I doubt folks want to be hauling invalids in floppy vehicles.

Yes I have seen several Dodge caravan's with a hightop I have a 1999 Grand caravan that got me started in vanlife.
The only thing I haven't seen yet is the ultra high top. I'm 6' also and the vans I've looked at were still lower than full size van's.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I have a pop top on my Dodge Caravan standing height at the highest point is 83 inches almost 7 feet, there is a company in California called GTRV or something like that anyways they used to be on LULU Island in Vancouver BC they were called lulu campers and they called their vans magicvans before they moved to California. Mine is done by them when they were in Vancouver. It is a 1993 Grand Caravan same setup as a Westfallia, they copied it. They install them and fit out Dodge CAravans as well as Toyotas and larger vans, another company that does pop tops and may well do hard tops is a company in Montreal I think they are called Safari condo or something like that.

Thank you to all who responded with suggestions/recommendations.  I have made contact with Fiberline in California.

winfieldj

flying kurbmaster said:
Hello flying kurbmaster... I realize this is 3 yrs on, but it looks like GTRV does not do Caravans anymore... not sure why :(

So I'm just wondering... do you still have your and could I see a photo of it please?  Was it hard for them to attach the Westfalia type top to your van? I would really like something like that for my 2010 Grand Caravan but am having a heck of a time finding any used Westfalia or Eurovan tops.  When did lulu/gtrv put your poptop on?  thanks so much. 

I have a pop top on my Dodge  Caravan standing height at the highest point is 83 inches almost 7 feet, there is a company in California called GTRV or something like that anyways they used to be on LULU Island in Vancouver BC they were called lulu campers and they called their vans magicvans before they moved to California. Mine is done by them when they were in Vancouver. It is a 1993 Grand Caravan same setup as a Westfallia, they copied it. They install them and fit out Dodge CAravans as well as Toyotas and larger vans, another company that does pop tops and may well do hard tops is a company in Montreal I think they are called Safari condo or something like that.