Questions for converting my van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoparWagon

Reaction score
Hello all,

First time poster on this forum. I have a 2000 Ram 3500 extended passenger van, and I'm looking to do a casual conversion. 

I want to live in it for about a month and a half before I go off to boot camp to save some money on rent. I'm not sure exactly where to start though! 

I've taken the seats out, and I've had some people say I should tear apart the interior to insulate it. However that will be very time consuming (I have about a week to do my conversion) and the month I'll be living in it is a very comfortable temperature where I am.

I have a bed a sleeping bag that I can put in the back. Otherwise I'm kind of lost as to what I should prioritize. I have about $1000 and a week to do whatever I do. 

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Spend less than $100 for wood; constructing a platform bed. Buy a used wooden tv stand (use for odds and ends functions). Using for 1 1/2 months you won't need much.

if you are only going to sleep in it for a month and a half, I would just throw your bed on the floor and call it good. then down the road you can decide what you want to do. highdesertranger

I 2nd HDR's opinion. I did a two month road trip and several one month trips in my 03 Cargo van. I just thru my full size mattress in the back and a few milk crates of other gear.....all camping gear as that what i had. Stove, cooler, few pots, camp chair, lantern, etc.

I was perfectly comfortable in my travels.

Toss the bed on the floor, get a 1 burner propane stove, some canned goods for food, and of course your clothing in a backpack or a tote (I like a tote for clean clothes, with a sack for the dirty clothes)
Luggable loo if you might not have potty access (and some bags of course) pee bottle, mess kit
That should cover most of it
If you want to spend more
http://www.vanlifecrisis.com/2015/09/the-320-1-hour-van-conversion.html
this is quick, easy, and the most I would do for a month and a half in a van