questions about this 1988 Dodge B-150

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobBob

Reaction score
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4977034911.html

The ad does not say how many miles this has.  I do like the color and body style, but is it too old?  How hard is it to find parts when you need them, and people who know how to repair them (I do not)?  It seems a little pricey, but apparently has a lot of new parts.  Anyone else have one of these?

Any wisdom you can share would be greatly appreciated.  So many choices, and very little mechanical knowledge makes for a confusing process!

Thanks!
RobBob

That is a short van. The motor is not one of Dodges best. Look for something longer with a 318. (5.2)

Parts are everywhere and not expensive for this era van.

Thanks, GotSmart! I really appreciate the feedback!

RobBob

That's too small an engine for a full-size van--it will work hard and not get good MPG and not last long.

It's way overpriced too.
Bob

Way overpriced, age is okay. Not familiar with that particular engine, transmission is a good one.

Overpriced. But I want to stick-up for the Dodge V6. Much stronger than you think. Definitely better than GM's V6. I have a 318 1987 B250. I have no problem finding parts or a mechanic to repair.

ccbreder said:
Overpriced. But I want to stick-up for the Dodge V6. Much stronger than you think. Definitely better than GM's V6. I have a 318 1987 B250. I have no problem finding parts or a mechanic to repair.

The 318 is a V8.

The dodge straight 6 was a great motor, but the v6 put in the vans did not last.  Do not buy one with over 150K miles on it.  Underpowered gas hogs is the most common phrase I saw on line.  

The pre Magnum v6 engine in a van dweller van is under powered and will not get any better fuel economy with a loaded vehicle.

Even the LA 318 with a roller cam as it came in 88 to 92 only has 185HP

The magnum era v6's were prone to cracking the heads, and only had fuel economy advantages when lightly loaded in around town driving.

GM's 4.3 v6 blows away Dodges 3.9, IMO, but I'd rather have a Dodge 318 than a GM350. Each v6 model is basically these v8 engines with 2 cylinders removed.

Yes I know the 318 is a V8. I was explaining the ease of getting parts or service on an older Dodge. My personal experiance with 2 GM v6s and one v6 dodge, The dodge was much better and stronger engine. Maybe I had a fluke.mln