Questions about my hightop

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonricher

Reaction score
This is my first van with a hightop. It appears to be a double top with about 4-6"  space between the outer or exterior top and the interior. The Interior is smooth and shiny white fiberglass.

I have no clue about any insulation between, if there is any at all. Plus my head touches the top when I stand up. I am 5'10". When looking at the van from the outside I appears to be a 36" top but inside is maybe 24"

Can I somehow remove the interior portion and then reinforce the outer top and insulate from that? Plus I would like to add windows and at least one ceiling vent/fan. Plus two or three solar panels. I would deffdefiniadd something like wood strips or a roll bar type set up to help the load.

Any suggestions or insite would be great
Thank you
Jackson

Attachments

• 00707_cDFPb0RTUJy_600x450.jpg
    00707_cDFPb0RTUJy_600x450.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 7
while theoretically you could. I would NEVER recommend it. more then likely the inner and outer tubs are boded together in several places. remove either one and you will loose your structural integrity.

4-6" space? are you sure? that seems excessive. pop that 3rd brake light off and take a tape measure to it. that might also tell you the type of construction they used to bond the 2 pieces together. highdesertranger

Ok will do. When I sit in the driver's seat and put my hand outside wall and the other on the interior walls it's about 5-6".
No clue who made it, fibeine did not, I called them.
Well I guess I will pull the third brake light or some of the large interior lights. This was a commercial wheelchair lift transport van in it's first life. I called thatmfg and zero help.

If that is an old handicap van, the hightop actually has a steel frame between the outer skin and inner liner. Its best not to remove that. However you can remove the inner skin and redo the ceiling using the frame as anchor points...

One of the handiest tools I have is an icepick.  you could drill a small hole in your interior and poke an icepick to see how much space is there.
The high top van I had did have a steel frame in it and it was close to the outside skin.  I fastened paneling to the framework and put insulation between the roof and paneling.

The inside top has fasteners connecting to something above. They are spaced out about 2' x 12" or so.4 rows. When tapping on the inner top it varies from hollow to thud randomly..
I do want to put a ceiling/roof fan in so I could start with that. But I would make a small hole and take a look.
The inner roofgoes all the way to the windshield, they cut the roof totally out. I can stand up between the two front seats. With that metal roof being gone and a loss in structural integrity, I am leaning more and more about taking this inner roof out and putting a roll cage up against the outer roof and then do insulation and a ceiling. A roll cage at least in the front if not the entire roof line. It would be solid and I would not have to worry about rolling over unless that would add too much weight and be top heavy.