Question on Galaxy SIII smart phones

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeRevell

Reaction score
I have been trying to find some new apps for my cell phone.  First thing I notice is, the Google App Store is GONE......   Did they discontinue it, or can my phone (admittedly getting long in the tooth now) simply not able to connect?
I did a Google Search for phone app stores other than the "App Store", and find the apps I am looking for.  Try to download, and I get a message that "Browser not supported"!  Holy Moly.......    :mad:

Are they not so subtley telling me to "upgrade" to a newer cell pone?  Ain't gonna happen.  I like my SIII and it does far more than I need.  Having already checked into the S5 and S6, they offer NOTHING new that I would ever use.  And they are darned expensive.  I got a good deal on my SIII as a package deal with my Verizon plan.  I can't afford to shell out the FRNs for a new phone.  :(

Is there a way to get this phone upgraded to a newer version of the OS, to make it compatible with newer app software?

LeeRevell said:
:(

Is there a way to get this phone upgraded to a newer version of the OS, to make it compatible with newer app software?

Have you tried this? Be sure to be connected to WiFi and backup your phone and have a full charge.

1. From the Home screen, tap the Menu Key > Settings > About phone > Software updates > Check for Updates.
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]kelly[/font]

Good call, but unfortunately it says my phone is up to date, with no software updates available.  Apparently this phone's OS is simply in that hole of being unsupported any longer.  <Sigh>   No new apps for me........    :-/

LeeRevell said:
Good call, but unfortunately it says my phone is up to date, with no software updates available.  Apparently this phone's OS is simply in that hole of being unsupported any longer.  <Sigh>   No new apps for me........    :-/

I am running a Samsung also. My Google Play store is ver. is 6.0.5 and is working. Chrome ver 46.0.2490.76 and is also working. OS is KitKat 4.4.2 on Galaxy Note 3. Play store url is https://play.google.com/store?hl=en

I still get the "this browser is unsupported" message.  When I click on the link they have imbedded, I get the "website unavailable" message.  I have dropped into a black hole, as far as getting any new apps.  But as long as I can make calls, connect online and do my other duties I will keep it.  My Verizon contract is old enough I can go elsewhere if necessary.  I will begin seeing what deals I can find.
But I was sure looking forward to getting a couple useful productivity apps.  Unlike what some folks say, cellphones cannot "do everything a computer can do", but adding a word processor/text editor and a spreadsheet would be nice.  Impossible at present it seems.

Hi Lee,
Out of curiosity, which browser are you using? If I remember correctly, since earlier this year the Google Play Store no longer supports Firefox. Have you tried using Chrome or even Samsung's browser?

And if you AREN'T using the Firefox browser, try this on your phone:

Settings > Application Manager > All > Locate "Download Manager" (will be at the the bottom of the list when it's disabled) and enable it

Good luck!

I have a Samsung S3 and it has google play store on it... Is it in your app list but just disappeared from your main screen? If so, you can just put it back. You can also do a search for google play store, download the afk file and load it to your sd card by usb cord and try to install it again by that if it's not in your app list.

By doing a search I don't mean using your phone. You'd need to do that with an actual laptop or computer, not using the android operating system. That's probably why it won't let you download those files if you're using your phone. They want you to go through the play store to download stuff from your phone. So if you know someone who has a laptop or computer, you can get the files that way and "sideload" them to your phone via usb, finding the file with a file manager on your phone and clicking on it to install it. You also need to have a setting enabled in your phone to allow you to install files from sources other than the google play store. You can do a search from your phone for these instructions which may be more coherent. I know what I mean, but it's sometimes hard for me to say what I mean.

If you go into apps and update the app store it should update to the play store automatically with no browser needed.

When I get back home I will try using my laptop.
But from a purely functional standpoint, I still don't understand why my Google App Store disappeared from my phone.  I have used it before. 
 I have tried using Amazon's App Store but it balks too.  I did what they said to enable using other sites - no joy.  
I have only the default Android browser.  Cannot download Chrome.....  it comes via Google App Store/Google Play.  Oopsie....
As that old Vermont farmer said.....   "Ayep.... you can't get there from here!"    :-/