Question about not building now

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manyways2go

Reaction score
My truck has 8ft bed with raised Leer topper

So I think my question is: for this 1st trip how does just an ice chest and my backpacking gear, my cot that I currently sleep on and bins of food/clothes/cooking items and such sound to try this upcoming trip? I did notice the tailgate isn't sealed any good suggestions?

I have a  2nd 12v battery for limited use with 700w inverter + I can manage the expected temperatures.
I haven't purchased much so far only some reflect-ix, USB fan, screens, magnets but plan to use a lot what I have already on hand

After looking at a few builds there are some I like and would consider. I like simple and everything seems to be wood construction. I expect I could handle a bit of cutting-drilling-screws etc.  My wish is it would be easy to remove to still use the truck at times.

I was overthinking (less is more, keep it simple, just do it to begin) I have enjoyed and learned from Bob's videos and the forum thanks all

Less is more and you will find rainy days wanting more space. You have plenty especially if you add a golf cart Buddy heater and cup holder for cooler day time temps or making room to use a small cooking stove. I have done a build using a platform and if solo would have left room for a beach chair to sit in on rainy days and have a place to stand stooped over to put pants on and store dirty shoes without getting on the bed but two people required a full platform. Just consider the back of your truck a metal tent as some have said.

If you start out with just the bare minimum, it is easier to decide what you must have.

You’ll also have time on your inaugural trip to look around and decide where things would go.

There is a tendency to fill every corner with just in case items, at least that’s been my experience, then weeding out and leaving at home never used items.

Start minimal, make a list of necessities, sketch out where they will go, and add them later, is my suggestion.

HI and welcome! less is more is so true for many of us!
Good thing is you have an experimental trip out and about. Real fast you can make a list of 'I need' and then 'I would love to have' and then you know what extras matter to you personally.

let us know how it goes on your first trip out and how you might proceed on a build to suit you. best of luck

The comments are helpful, for some reason I hadn't considered rain days as I was more focused on winds. I had to look up golf cart heater and its seems appropriate. I have a amazon list and added more items. I have a camp chair on hand and think I hate it already... also a list of needs and wants or a sketch to sort it out. A week left to get prepared should work OK at my speed these days. Have a great day!

Latest posts