Question about Netgear AC791L on VZN...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 15722

Reaction score
I would like to try the Netgear AC791L hotspot on the Verizon network.
It has MIMO capability, which I hope to be an advantage when mobile.
Antennas will be outside on the roof.

My question is, can I hardwire it to my Present TP Link AC router, then a number of PC's from there, within the coach ?
WiFi links are dandy, but I'd like to hardwire my primary machines...

Thanks !
wheels

Does your TP link have a USB port, and support USB networking? I have a router a USB port, but I had to install OpenWRT on the router to make it work with my AT&T and Sprint hotspots.

Lost in the world said:
Does your TP link have a USB port, and support USB networking? I have a router a USB port, but I had to install OpenWRT on the router to make it work with my AT&T and Sprint hotspots.

Yes, it does have a USB 2.0 port.  Most likely for NAS attachment ???  ( Gosh, it's a couple years old now ! )

I was hoping to connect the hotspot to it as we do the cable modem, now...  It seems to be really difficult to get specific information about these devices, for some reason.  Most the Verizon info is warm and fuzzy advertising puffery.
I went to a local V store and the salesperson pulled up the web site and literally read things to me from the screen !
Their advice was I would be best served with the MiFi 6620 Jetpack, which "We have lots of these in stock !"
No mention of the AC791L, and they decided I probably wouldn't need the more expensive MiFi 7730L, because they didn't stock it.
I had told them specifically it was for data/streaming use on laptops while camping in remote areas.  ...Only...

I shall get an AT&T account, as an alternate because tower maps  show me V has the only towers near where I plan to be.
Are potential carrier tower expansion/improvement programs discussed on any forums ?

I do have Tomato software around here from way back when I was about to set up a WiFi bridge for access, before I threw in the towel and sprung the big bucks for the cable demons.  I did OK with Alfa antennas back when...  Now I'd like to try MIMO !

I am unsure if I can get by with the single port on the AC791L, or if I should drop 50% more on the 7730L which I think has two ports.
Haven't been able to verify it...  This gear gets pricey...  worse if I gotta make a 2nd purchase of what I should have got in the first place !  lol

Thanks so much for your help !
wheels

Technomadia has a website devoted to mobile internet, lots of free info but has pay areas as well: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/
Their reviews may answer your questions.

Tmobile purchased some new lower frequencies and will be rolling out in lots of places in the next few years, but compatible devices are not available yet.

blars said:
Technomadia has a website

Tnx blars!  
Yes, I do study what Chris and Cherie have to say, closely !
I'm glad to hear they still have a boat that floats !!!

Recently they have described how VZN (and the others) is still allowed to re-define common and customary words, and Unlimited does not mean what you and I expect it to mean.  Aargh !  IMO, if our gubment is to do anything 4 us, they could at least have the FCC bring Truth in Advertising to the use of our radio bands by those who profit from selling use of it to us.

After reading pages of review comments I have discovered one that advised the Novatel Tasman T1114, also known as the NOVT1114V, and MiFi Home, might just be a superior solution for fixed, albeit mobile option. It is meant for 24/7 use and has loads of plug-in ports, including the MIMO antenna ports.
MiFiHome_001-620x413.jpg

It may be be used to feed a wifi router of your choice, if you wish some other...
MiFiHome_002-620x413.jpg

Half a note w/2yr plan, or same for a refurb on ebay sans sim.

I've seen no mention of it within the rv clans, to date, and I will most likely give one a try, shortly.

Next problem will be to guestimate how much data plan we might use...  in comparison to what goes on here in sticks & bricks, 193Gb might work !  lol  Or, trying to be conservative, perhaps 64Gb could do for us.  I have no clue how to make a reasonable estimation that would not bring us a Huge over run !  lol  Or, we could simply sell everything else off and deliver all funds to the telco...  Glorious. Not.
Best, wheels