Question about mifi data usage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 423

Reaction score
I'm using a Verizon Jetpack and if I see a picture I want to save, I do a "Print Screen" and then save it into Libre Office Writer. I then export it as a JPEG..(nice feature).

Am I conserving data by doing this?  Instead of right-clicking on the image and saving it to my laptop?

It depends on the settings of your OS (might be linux?) and your browser.

One way to know for sure is, next time you have an image on screen you want to save, before you do, turn off the wifi device and then try to save the image with the print screen method.

If it saves, it did not have to download the image a second time.

Then try it with the 'save image' command: turn off the wifi and then try to save the image.

If it cant, then it has to re-download the image again.

This will tell you if the image is being downloaded twice.

Your browser and OS should have an easy way to just select the image and download it.

conversion, here doubled, just reduces quality, better to save in original format, jpeg, png, gif whatever.

If you then need to convert, downsize n use a tool designed for that rather than screenshotting

I'm using W7 and Firefox. After I do a screenshot, I immediately save the document and do the export later, so it would seem that no downloading would actually occur.

When you export from Writer, you can choose the resolution of the saved image, from 96 to 600 DPI. Using the higher # (300 or 600) the image quality is great. Most of the stuff I'm saving doesn't really require high-res anyway.

An example that I use a lot when researching NFS campgrounds:

Instead of "Save Page As" (which would seem to use a lot of data), I just do a screenshot and export later. Don't have to be online to export the image from the document. I then use IrfanView to resize,sharpen,adjust.

Since your browser has already downloaded the things your screenshotting, all you have to do is pull the images from your cache to save them elsewhere. Nirsoft makes a bunch of freeware browser utilities to accomplish this that I've been using off and on for years. If you're doing this a lot, it might make things quicker and easier on you.

http://www.nirsoft.net/web_browser_tools.html