More data: probably not the best way, but my way

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
The past few years I've had a phone and JetPack through Verizon. First I had 30GB of data on both, then I switched to their "Unlimited" and then "Beyond Unlimited" plans which bump you down in priority and throttle your speed after X amount of data usage. Not the best unlimited data option, but it was cheaper and at least weren't charging up the butt when you go over your allotment. 

Things were mostly okay with the plan and I suffered throttling only the last few days of the billing period if I'd been extravagant with my data use. (Hey, gotta binge watch some TV series occasionally.) It would be nice to have more slack before throttling.

Then I realized Verizon charged only an extra $20/month when you add another device (phone, tablet, JetPack, etc.) to your plan. So I could add something and still be paying less than I had before the "unlimited" plans. A friend gave me a tablet he wasn't using. The tablet was old and underpowered and sucked for anything but streaming. But it left my JetPack and phone (which I mostly used tethered to my laptop) available for all the other stuff I did online.

There are probably cheaper ways to do this, but it was one that required the least effort and had the least risk.

A jetpack is a Verizon hotspot. That is it takes cellular data (it is its' own cellular device and has to have a data plan to go along with it) and turns it into wifi or tethered device for your other web enabled devices to connect to and use the web. They will also connect up to 5+ devices at the same time so you can have your own little LAN just like you did in your S&B.

Oh, I've never had a LAN (I'm primitive I guess) but I do want the hotspot because I create YouTube videos as a hobby, and will do a lot of video uploading and watching. I've already decided to go with Verizon because I know where I'm from (Happy Camp, California) that's the only thing that works... so despite added expense, Verizon is the one I'll need. I don't have the phone yet. (primitive) ... I'm still using a land line. I have a lot to learn.

I changed from an unlimited plan to the GO Unlimited with Verizon. I was able to save almost $50 a month. I have one smartphone and a jetpack. With the jetpack on this plan it is throttled to ~600 Kbps which is 3G speed and was only a $20 addon. This makes the perfect replacement for my old 3G $5 a month hotspot. It is fast enough for streaming and is truly unlimited just like the old 3G hotspot except I am now on postpaid which gives me roaming that I didn't have on the old 3G.

Thanks for the suggestions! Honestly, it is all very confusing to me, as I've never used these things before. Do you think it would be better to go talk to someone at a Verizon store, rather than trying to buy off the web?

travelaround said:
Thanks for the suggestions! Honestly, it is all very confusing to me, as I've never used these things before. Do you think it would be better to go talk to someone at a Verizon store, rather than trying to buy off the web?
Doubt a Verizon employee could give you best and least expensive advice on anything phone, tablet, hotspot/MiFi/jetpac. They only know to sell what is currently the company big push, plan or phone. 

Study what’s said in these threads and keep asking questions and follow up questions. There is no perfect/cheap solution but you will learn terms and become an informed buyer. It takes time to start to catch on to the terms. You might even find a local techie neighbor, a senior center computer group to give you some hands on info.

The big question will be how much data do you need? Most unlimited plans throttle (to 3G speed (~600 kbps)) at 15 GB and get deprioritized at 22 GB (puts you at the end of the que).

Are you uploading stuff to the web or just watching videos and basic surfing?

If you are uploading you will most likely need 4G/LTE unless it is text based stuff.

I'm uploading videos. As I travel, I may be uploading as much as once a day, so I want the best data plan! But I'll probably upload through the hotspot as it will go from my computer and not my phone.

I like the idea of finding someone at the senior center to help me figure this out... cost is not a problem, but having service that won't fail me is the issue.

If you are near a town, public libraries usually have a very fast connection. Some keep the wifi on at night and can be accessed from outside.

B and C said:
If you are near a town, public libraries usually have a very fast connection.

I can attest that the main library in St. George, Utah, has the slowest wifi I've encountered in five years of wandering the West.

Meanwhile, Lone Pine, California, has free Main Street wifi that's pretty good.

But fast food places and big box stores have been my go-to wifi sources when I don't want to use my own.

travelaround,
I use to work the Klamath River around Seiad Valley before the dredge ban. I have/had Verizon but I know sprint would work there. just to give you another option. boy you could make a decent living back then in the State of Jefferson. highdesertranger

My plan with Verizon includes 'hot-spot" on the phone. My JetPack is now unused.

Latest posts