Question about choice of electricity types

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoFly

Reaction score
Am I correct that a van dweller could use 110 volt items plugged directly into an inverter and do without propane and 12 volt items as long as what was in use did not exceed the capacity of the batteries? Would there be any other limit to the number of items in use at the same time?

I'm asking because I have a lot of regular household kitchen small appliances. It would be nice if I could simply use what I have instead of getting 12 volt replacements. I'm thinking of things like electric skillet, coffeemaker, toaster, blender, electric single burner, etc.; in a larger vehicle maybe a Panda twin tub washer (110, 440 watts running full out), portable 110 dryer, a dorm fridge, that sort of stuff.

Thanks for any help. If I can get this figured out it will remove a lot of the stress I'm feeling as I make my plans.

Yes, you can power these things off of a large enough inverter, but you also need enough battery to maintain high enough voltage to power the inverter, and some of these items are huge consumers of electricity, not really practical to power on battery power.
Also recharging the batteries is very time consuming, as lead acid batteries need to be brough upto 100% charged, the more often the better. If they are never indeed fully charged they will lose capacity quickly and fail to be able to port your needs quickly.

You should stop considering powering toasters, hair driers, electric skillets, electric coffee makers unless you are also willing to spend thousands on batteries and enough solar and charging sources to keep them relatively happy

Cook/heat with propane, or get a generator if you really need to use 110 volt high wattage AC appliances.

Lead acid batteries are expensive and heavy, but they store very little energy, compared to a small green bottle of propane.

It can be done, but there are better ways to accomplish what you think you need, at this point.

Panda twin tub washer. Wow.

Edited for clarity
SW said:
You should stop considering powering toasters, hair driers, electric skillets, electric coffee makers
Cook/heat with propane
You should stop
stop

If those items are important to you, you have 3 options:

1) setup that is only functional when plugged in to shore power, such as campgrounds,

2) install an appropriately sized generator that needs to be running for any electrical needs,

3) create a hybrid system, generator powering most of the occasional use appliances, with a solar+battery system for things like lighting and refrigeration.

We have a system for our travel trailer that can do much of what you are asking in a limited fashion. Condensing it down to fit on and in a van would take the largest panels and the newest battery tech to the tune of maybe ten grand to get what you are asking some of the time. You would still need propane and a generator as back ups.

yep I think you really need to start reading up on the electrical side of stuff. what size vehicle are we talking? that stuff alone in a van will take up a lot of space. highdesertranger

Thanks to the posters who made helpful comments; at least I know it can be done.  I appreciate your input.

Wagoneer, I laughed out loud when I read your remark about the extension cord!  :)

To those who commented on what I "should" do or "need" to do or told me to "stop", there's nothing that makes me see red like someone telling me how to live my life. There are needs and there are wants. What's wrong with aiming to have both?

Continuing unabashed...

I hope you see this comment before it is deleted.

SternWake said:
I hope you see this comment before it is deleted.

Sternwake you know I live and greatly admire you but you don't get to dress people down here, no matter how sure you are right. 

And what did he say that was so wrong, "Don't tell me what to do!" I think that's the life motto of a out 90% of us--including you--and me!  :p
Bob

NoFly said:
I'm asking because I have a lot of regular household kitchen small appliances. It would be nice if I could simply use what I have instead of getting 12 volt replacements. I'm thinking of things like electric skillet, coffeemaker, toaster, blender, electric single burner, etc.; in a larger vehicle maybe a Panda twin tub washer (110, 440 watts running full out), portable 110 dryer, a dorm fridge, that sort of stuff.

If you can get three, 300 watt panels on the roof and 8 golf cart batteries you can run a lot of what you want. I can't imagine ever running a clothes dryer off solar though,
Bob

If you go with household appliances you have several options.  You can stay in RV parks and camp grounds with electric provided.  You can get a generator large enough to handle any load you could put on it.  You could use a combination of generator for large power draws (cooking appliances, air conditioner…) and solar w/ batteries and inverter for lighter loads (TV, laptop, DVD player, chargers…).  You can also go with a smaller generator if you limit the devices that are turned on at the same time.

I went with 120 AC throughout my cargo trailer to camper conversion, it can be done.  But, I am running off a heavy duty extension cord plugged into a wall outlet.  I only driveway camp for a week at a time at a relative’s house. At the same time, I can run a TV, DVD player, 12 cup drip coffee maker, 3.3 cubic ft. refrigerator, a couple of lamps with led bulbs, a fan and a window air conditioner.  If I want to run the microwave I have to turn off the air conditioner.

nofly

When I started in solar 5 years ago I was told many things by people that were just regurgitating what they had seen on the net. When I reported what I found by putting systems together and pushing the button, I was told that's not how it works by people that didn't even have solar or thought their 100w panel made them a expert. It was the want of A/C without a generator or even draining my batteries that made the talking heads explode and to this day some refuse to accept that it works. Anything is possible, practical is a different question.

I get up and my coffee comes from a 120v 12 cup auto drip. Breakfast is cooked on a two burner electric hotplate, taters are zapped in the micro, a small heater takes the chill off of the bathroom on those chilly mornings and a 5000 BTU air conditioner cools us down when it gets too hot. We do have the advantage of size but tech is improving. I could have waited a year and replaced my 250w panels with 435w panels for over 1300w but it would take LiPo batteries to allow me to take advantage of the power. Even a 25 ft trailer has limitations.

So decide what you want to do and work out the numbers. Do you have the space for the required panels and batteries? Is it practical to spend X amount of dollars to get what you want? I know if I were to down size to a van that I would go Bobs route and get a enclosed trailer to give me the room for panel and battery. I could search out the big panels and fit two on a van possibly but that still leaves the batteries and my bank weighs a quarter ton.

On the clothes dryer, that's a rough one. You may not be able to run even a 120v mini dryer just like I can't run my roof air BUT like I use a low consumption window air conditioner instead, you could use a spin dryer that would remove 99% of the waterand hang them for the rest.

I have a dryer that's powered by the sun and wind !
A rope ............... :cool: :cool: