Question about Bubble top on Vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUIPME

Reaction score
Does anyone know:

If the raise roof (Bubble top) portion of a van is screwed down with sealant or a rubber gasket as the waterproofing material in between?  How difficult would it be to detach it from the frame?

The approx weight of a 12" raised top?

Any time you cut a hole in your exterior, you want to waterproof it with Butyl Tape and Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant. This provides two layers of waterproofing. Good high-top installations do this. Unfortunately, there are cases where someone did not do the installation correctly. Therefore you can't always rely on it being waterproof. I would recommend spraying a hose all over the outside of a van and then checking for leaks inside.

Detaching the high top from the van would probably not be very involved, unless they welded it on... But then you'd have a giant hole in your roof. The high top probably can't be reused except on a VERY similar van. Why would you want to do that?

[font=Helvetica, Arial,]I want to detach the roof from the frame and mount it on sliders, and be able to raise/lower it.  i want to make it into a Pop Top!  Have you seen anyone do this with the raised roof?  (if not i want to try)[/font]

You might have some luck with hydraulic pistons. I've seen some folks use them to lift their bed in that way. But I think you'd have trouble combining that with keeping it waterproof when it's down.

You are absolutely right, waterproof may be an issue.  I'll try out my experiment and if its not working they way I like, I can reseal it down permanently.  So any clue on the weight of those tops?  
Hydraulic pistons are heavy and will require a compressor.  I'm going to use 4 linear actuators to raise.  It runs off a 12V motor and each unit is rated to raise up to 80 LBS.
thanks for the info

Tiny Metal Tube said:
Any time you cut a hole in your exterior, you want to waterproof it with Butyl Tape and Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant. This provides two layers of waterproofing. Good high-top installations do this. Unfortunately, there are cases where someone did not do the installation correctly. Therefore you can't always rely on it being waterproof. I would recommend spraying a hose all over the outside of a van and then checking for leaks inside.

Detaching the high top from the van would probably not be very involved, unless they welded it on... But then you'd have a giant hole in your roof. The high top probably can't be reused except on a VERY similar van. Why would you want to do that?

I bought a high top for a VW bus at Pick N Pull once for $60.00 and after taking out the screws that held it on the wrecked van, two of use removed it and installed it on a regular VW in one afternoon.   Used butyl tape and never had a problem with it.   Cheap and easy solution to a low top van.

Latest posts