Quartzsite rants and raves

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that after I settled in somewhat that I kind of retracted the vehemence with which I initially expressed my disdain for the place.<br />I did enjoy going up to the RTR and meeting some of you nice folks.&nbsp; I couldn't get an internet signal there so I went back to the other spots south of town.<br />One thing I would caution everyone about there is that the propane they sell there at all, but the Suburban Propane place is adulterated somehow and doesn't burn efficiently.<br />One fellow told me it is mixed with butane which is cheaper and still pumps like propane so the scammers can make more money per fill.&nbsp; I filled a couple of times while there, once at the place with the long tank behind the jerky shop, and I asked the guy there about it, but HE DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT! and the other just down the street where the have the pull through dumps and water stations.<br />As soon as I lit the fills, my fridge started cycling on and off for days every minute or two.<br />If you're using propane, get a couple of the exchangeable 20 gallon bottles at Home Depot or Wal-Mart and try not to use any local propane.&nbsp; Just wanted to let you know what happened to me.<br />Other than that I had a very enjoyable time meeting all kinds of nice people, but on the whole you were all correct.&nbsp; You just have to take a place like that with a grain of salt and I did.<br /><br />I would have liked to be there again this year, looking for jewelry making supplies, but alas, I am confined to the coast of California, I think for the winter.&nbsp; I'm toying with the idea of heading down to the Slabs, but am not sure.<br /><br />I would like to let you know that in San Luis Obispo, a lovely college town, there is an injunction against the police from harassing or ticketing people for sleeping in their vehicles.<br />I've been parking here on the streets since July and haven't had one unfriendly encounter with the police at all.&nbsp; Sure there is riff-raff here who get drunk on the streets and fall down and cause fights, etc., but on the whole if you keep your rig clean and don't spew feces or trash, they pretty much leave you alone.<br />This is going to last until December 31st and then the city will have to submit a plan for approval to the judge who initiated the injunction.&nbsp; The city only wants to run the homeless across the city limits sign and the judge is stating the people with no homes are not criminals, they just don't have homes or money and they are still American Citizens.<br />There is a homeless center here where you can go and eat every day and take a shower free every day 7 days a week and there is endless hot water.&nbsp; The place is pretty well operated and really serves the mobile community.<br /><br />Happy Hollidaze.<br /><br />I'm torn betwen staying here on the streets or getting back to the desert where I can sit outside and enjoy the pristine beauty of the place.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

I vote for getting OUT of the town(s), and just visiting once a week or so for showers, veggies, etc.<br /><br />Quartzite is a very unique place in the winter, sorry you had bad experiences with the local propane.&nbsp; In the summer you'd be hard pressed to find a single person there, a very different place between the two seasons!<br /><br />Hope you decide to come out to the RTR after all!<br /><br />With Love,<br />Tara