Quartzite, Arizona - Critters, Insects, Oh My?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeamLoLauren

Reaction score
Hello!

We are setting out on our maiden voyage in our van on March 10, 2018 and have an extended stay in Quartzite, Arizona and I was curious about the insects and critters that are found there.

I have heard that there are a lot of scorpions and rattlesnakes. I was just curious as to how often these things were actually encountered ? Anyone have any stories they can share with us newcomers ?

Thank you in advance!

How long are you planning on staying in Quartzite?

Starting about the end of March at the latest it starts to get too hot there for most of us. We head up hill to higher elevations around that time to escape the heat. Up to 3,000 ft or so for end of March and April and then higher yet as the temperatures climb until most  are either up north or just up!!

The time it starts getting warmer there is when the critters start to emerge from their winter hideouts.

From November through March I have yet to see a snake or a scorpion...after that I'm gone from there anyways.

We are planning on staying there from March 15-20 - we are taking I-10 into Florida.Any suggestions of a place that might be better to check out along I-10 during that time with the heat coming up? Thanks!

You should be fine for those dates. Check the local weather beforehand.

When you said 'extended stay' I envisioned weeks and weeks of staying Quartzite.  5 days is barely passing through.... :D

Be forewarned though that most all of the flea market booths will be closed by the time you get there. Even K&B closes the 5th of March. OTOH, you won't have problems getting seated at a restaurant at that time of year. The place will be pretty empty.

Other places to stay in that area - right on the Colorado River at Ehrenberg, particularly if the weather reports show it's going to be too hot for your liking in Q. It's always a little bit cooler down by the river.

TeamLoLauren said:
I was just curious as to how often these things were actually encountered ?

So rarely it's not worth worrying about. Even if you see them, they're not really interested in harming you. 

The only pests that have caused me trouble are a variety of no-see-um bugs that live around juniper trees. They bite the hell out of me and leave toxin that itches like crazy and causes slow healing.