Quartsite area in less than a week... no idea where to go or what to do

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarledwolf

Reaction score
Hello,  
After trying different things and looking at different areas, I'll be in Quartzsite or around there in a week.  I'm gonig on two months behind on my car payment, food and money will be real low.  Where would a tent tweller living out of his car go to start camping as cheap as possible and close to somewhere I can get a job?  Running with about $130 left to my name... so coming in hot.  
Matt

Anywhere on BLM land just outside of town.

Have you got another mode of transportation?

I'd check in with the yacht club. Sometimes they rent a space to people working there (allow an employee to stay for free) Don't know how they feel about a car/tent camper

I don't know who you are financed with but some will work with you. I know for a fact Ford worked with us when my brother got sick and couldn't make his payments. you do know I hope, that it's still pretty warm in Quartzsite. a couple more weeks should bring a significant cool down. highdesertranger

Fortunately for you, there is a storm coming this weekend and it should bring a big cool-down. The temperatures will stay cooler than they have been, but how much remains to be seen.

For camping, get off the freeway on exit 19 and go south away from the Chevron and town. After a block or two it will come to a "T" turn left and stay on the road for a mile or two. The first mile or so is no camping, but then you'll come to the host trailer and from there on it's free 14 day camping. That's as close as you can get to town and camp. You'll want to go off-road a bit and find somewhere you can't be seen from the road. Surprisingly, there are lots of big trees out there where you can get the car and a tent in the shade--you'll want that!!

Stay out of the many washes!! You can get stuck and or flooded or both!!

There is work to be had in quartzsite but you've got to knock on every door. It's a little early because the crowds aren't there yet but some people hire early so they are sure to get someone trained. Go to both the truck stops, all the fast food and every vendor tent. All the restaurants will be hiring wait staff and dishwashers.

Everybodys going to hire in the next month so get there first and get there often.

There are lots of used bikes for sale in town, you should be able to camp close enough to ride.

Bob

How much do they usually pay the dishwashers? Would those truck stops allow you to shower for free if you work there?

ramblingvanman said:
How much do they usually pay the dishwashers? Would those truck stops allow you to shower for  free if you work there?
I'm sorry, I don't know the answers to those questions.

One more thing I should have added before. Quartzsite has a particularly good social network. You can get free meals, food and showers there and the way you describe your finances, you really should consider using them. They are there to help people and if you need help you should get it. We all NEED to serve someone, and that means we all NEED someone to let us serve them.

I've not used it but I'm pretty sure its all near the Senior Center. That should be easy to find. 

The Laundromat across from the Roadrunner Market on Main street has free WIFI and $6 showers. 

There is a good library there also with free WIFI. I'm prety sure you can check out books as a non-resident.

You can get general delivery at the PO and there is a business in town that will receive packages from UPS and FedEx for $1 each. It's Quiet Times on Main Street.
Bob

akrvbob said:
Fortunately for you, there is a storm coming this weekend and it should bring a big cool-down. The temperatures will stay cooler than they have been, but how much remains to be seen.

For camping, get off the freeway on exit 19 and go south away from the Chevron and town. After a block or two it will come to a "T" turn left and stay on the road for a mile or two. The first mile or so is no camping, but then you'll come to the host trailer and from there on it's free 14 day camping. That's as close as you can get to town and camp. You'll want to go off-road a bit and find somewhere you can't be seen from the road. Surprisingly, there are lots of big trees out there where you can get the car and a tent in the shade--you'll want that!!

Stay out of the many washes!! You can get stuck and or flooded or both!!

There is work to be had in quartzsite but you've got to knock on every door. It's a little early because the crowds aren't there yet but some people hire early so they are sure to get someone trained. Go to both the truck stops, all the fast food and every vendor tent. All the restaurants will be hiring wait staff and dishwashers.

Everybodys going to hire in the next month so get there first and get there often.

There are lots of used bikes for sale in town, you should be able to camp close enough to ride.

Bob

Bob, thanks. That is exactly the info I was looking for! We shshould be there today or early tomorrow! Thankfully we brought our bikes with us from NY. 
Matt

Bob, OK we've arrived where you suggested, and god help us... You can't burn any wood here...
Matt

OK, panicked reaction from a newbie... Thinking it through.... One minute at a time....
Matt

yeah by your other post I think you have it figured out. you can burn wood, but you can't burn native wood/plants. highdesertranger

akrvbob said:
You just have to buy it in bundles.
Bob

The real question is, will that be cheaper, or more expensive, than cooking with propane or liquid fuel?

And will the bundle be wood suitable for use with his rocket stove?  I'm guessing they mostly sell wood suitable for building sitting-around-the-campfire type campfires.  Might be a lot of work splitting it down to smaller sizes.

Regards
John

I'll just have to look and see, which has pretty much been our philosophy since we started this in August, and I've learned so much since then with a lot more to learn. I'm just glad this forum is here to ask.