Quachita National (Arkansas) Forest Get To Together

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Those nearby or passing through are invited to join March 10, 11, & 12 a few middle aged part time van dwellers that will be staying at the Crystal Recreation Area in the Ouachita National Forest.  This is a campground within the forest that's free with a 14 day max stay limit.   Coordinates to Crystal are N34.4795139 W93.6388250. 

https://www.nationalforests.org/our-forests/find-a-forest/ouachita-national-forest

Happy Travels,
Rick & Lesa

hey Margie great to hear from you, so sorry to hear about jay. anything I could say wouldn't be enough. highdesertranger

Might just make this, beautiful area, used to back pack the Albert Pike rec area until that fateful flash flood that hit there. Strictly day use area only now, great shame.

MM

Sounds great. We will be there. Camping not far from there in the Ozark National Forest right now. Lora and Brian

Really looking forward to meeting everyone and I'm sure we'll get lots of opportunities to meet up down the road Margie.

OH... I have just today seen this!
Good idea, Rick and Lesa!!
Hope you will schedule another one. Would like to join in! :)

Nissi said:
OH... I have just today seen this!
Good idea, Rick and Lesa!!
Hope you will schedule another one. Would like to join in!   :)

Hi Nissi, we will be scheduling another soon.  This time in the Mark Twain National Forest in the April/May time frame.  Will keep you posted and look forward to getting together.

backwoodsman.rs said:
Hi Nissi, we will be scheduling another soon.  This time in the Mark Twain National Forest in the April/May time frame.  Will keep you posted and look forward to getting together.

I am in Arkansas and we would have been able to attend. Mark Twain NF is 4-5 hours north of us... :(
Maybe you will be back to Arkansas sometime...
Know y'all will have a great time in Missouri... I'll be looking for the info on it, as well... :)

AbuelaLoca said:
Any new information about the Mark Twain get together??

Trying to firm up April 28, 29, & 30.  Should have everything lined out and posted by the weekend.  Are you free the end of April or is May a better time?

It will be a few weeks too late for me - I'm back on Ontario by the end of the month.

But for those of you familiar with Mark Twain NF, I'm looking for dispersed camping opportunities, particularly in the area west of Branson.

If I can skip driving all the way to Ava (the closest ranger office) to get an MVUM map I'd appreciate it.

Just me and the van btw! Anyone want to join me for a couple of days this weekend is welcome.

I'm heading into Arkansas on Saturday. Very interested in seeing the info you post - it would fit right into my plans (not that I have many plans, but this could be one. LOL)

Almost There said:
for those of you familiar with Mark Twain NF, I'm looking for dispersed camping opportunities, particularly in the area west of Branson.

If I can skip driving all the way to Ava (the closest ranger office) to get an MVUM map I'd appreciate it.

Hey Beth - how's the Route 66 trip going?

You can get a good MVUM map of the Cassville section of Mark Twain NF, west of Branson here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5127682.pdf

It doesn't look very good for boondocking. So much of the land in the forest area is designated as non national forest land
within the National Forest. The pale blue marks national forest land. We run into this a lot in the eastern forests. Land along the main roads is almost always privately owned and there are few roads to access the forest land. It looks like the first road, FR 1171, that goes south off of route 78 on the western edge of the forest is unpopulated but you may ridge running.

Good luck! Let us know what you find.

Almost There said:
It will be a few weeks too late for me - I'm back on Ontario by the end of the month.

But for those of you familiar with Mark Twain NF, I'm looking for dispersed camping opportunities, particularly in the area west of Branson.

Just me and the van btw! Anyone want to join me for a couple of days this weekend is welcome.

There is a nice camp along Sugar Camp Trail, N36.526187, W93.822364, About 5 miles SE from Roaring River State Park. Go about 3 miles south of the State Park along Hwy 112, you'll come to a gravel road on the left with a FS sign. Just a few miles down you'll come to the camp on the right. It's wide open. 

Enjoy.

Last weekend in April does not work for me as family is coming in from Kansas City that weekend.... but, how long is everyone planning on being there?

Wish I could join you, Beth!! I'll be at the Lake, though, so will definitely wave your direction LOL

Latest posts