Putt

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, after all that it was mostly an exercise in glueing insulating panels on the inside of the skin and and another layer behind the plywood walls with spacers in between to assure that if the adhesives failed they'd stay put. I don't have many pix except this one of the finished right wall. 

20160504_144909-L.jpg

The only thing to note here is that I cut off the two pre-existing wall panels to either side of the window so I could put in one long piece on top that would strengthen the top of the window. Wow. A full year to get back to an empty box. 

Then winter came...and nothing happened for about 6 months.

This spring, maybe 4-5 weeks ago, it began to be warm enough for adhesives and I could begin to build the interior.

At this point, I need to tell you about the current imperative: re-registering the vehicle as an RV. Currently it's titled as a commercial vehicle. Insurance and registration is well over $1000/yr!  After all, commercial vehicles spend 8 hours a day or more on the road and way heavier; insurance risk is high as is the wear on public roads. NOT!!! This bugger is mostly sitting in my driveway. Oh well. 

In order to register Putt as an RV in Montana I must have four of the five following installed features:
  1. Refrigerator or stove/range.
  2. Potable water supply and sink with faucet.
  3. Self-contained toilet.
  4. 110VAC system or propane.
  5. Heating and/or air conditioning.
Putt is due for registration in August; my overriding goal at the moment is to meet those conditions so I can re-register her as an RV. That means things like drawers, most cabinets, toilet paper holders, a bed, and all sorts of stuff will not be worked on. I will be installing and making functional: a fridge; sink, faucet, and water tank; composting toilet; and bare bones solar system and inverter for 110VAC to fulfill the requirements.

The first three require I build the kitchen cabinet. To refresh your memory, it'll look like this.

3DKitchenDetail-L.jpg

The range won't be installed, but the bottom cabinet unit, toilet, and side wall between the bed and toilet need to be there.

I'm pretty confident about the registration fees going down---I did check with the Montana DMV about it---but am a bit curious about the insurance thing.  I've noted a couple of posts here that mention if it's a commercial vehicle you can't get away with it. Montana tends to be a pretty liberal state with this sort of thing...but still. Any comments are welcome.

Dude, that's nicer than my condo, wanna come to FL next winter and work your magic??   :p

I remember when IL had these requirements for RV plates (which were far cheaper than regular plates): food and enclosed sleeping accommodations.  So everyone with a topper threw in a sleeping bag and can of Dinty Moore beef stew and got plates.

Putt said:
So cool, that the TW200 is a cult classic amongst Japanese bike builders. Here's a few examples:
Neat versions of the TW 200. I'm trippen that somebody actually put a springer on one? :p

Alrightythen. Time to build a cabinet.

You should know I'm not a wood worker of any sort...but that's never stopped me from trying. Built all sorts of stuff over the years, but it's been pretty much plywood, 2x4, screws and glue and right angles. Oh! I have a Chevy Express 3500 15 passenger van that I bu8ilt a bed and a table into for camping and traveling. No fancy stuff though, just the table and bed. I'll try to get around to some snapshots for you folks inside if I put the table and bed back in there. It's unlikely though as it's running like total crap right now and my mechanic took a month with it and couldn't figure out what's wrong. Now it sits in the driveway just for lumber runs to the hardware store.

Anyhow, my buddy Wally is a construction guy and has built all sorts of weird stuff, so he's my go to for help. He said hardwood, dowel pins, screws and glue would be the way to go. I've never done dowels before so I watched some youtubes, became a friggen expert, bought a little dowel kit, and went at it.

IMG_1612-L.jpg

(Not a doobie---NTTAWWT---I just roll my own smokes.)

And so it begins...

IMG_1613-L.jpg

60 gallon water tank...yeah baby. Future plans include 50 more gallons in two tanks between the wheel wells. *crosses fingers*
Got the Dometic 50W portable cooler. Thought it would be good to be able to get that heat generator outside on a table when camping, and I needed to make double damned sure I would build the cabinet so it fit.

Second side.

IMG_1614-L.jpg

Finished cabinet framing.

IMG_1617-L.jpg

In Putt with tank in place.

IMG_1618-L.jpg

Allicazzam! Now with top, sink, and shelf over the water tank. 

IMG_1712-L.jpg

The shelf over the water tank and the countertop are removable---screws and a nice tight fit, but no glue. I wanted to make sure I could remove and repair the tank if it ever sprung a leak. The drawer railing (that you can't see) up and just left of the fridge is glued in because it needs the strength; I figure I could just cut it out and replace it if the tank had to be removed. 

And an inside view.

IMG_1689-L.jpg

The water tote under the sink for grey water will eventually be replaced with a real tank and drain, but I figure this would work for a while and get me through the RV registration inspection...it is functional. I'll strap it down at some point but I'll always dump it before driving. I just cut off its spout and the drain fits right into it.  The half moon cutout is to reach the drain valve through the access hatch. The tube running up the wall is the vent pipe---I've covered it with no-see-um screen and then a metal mesh hose clamped on so bugs can't get in.

My favorite bit: The faucet!

Click the pic for a video of it in operation.

This is a marine faucet and works like a champ = $$$ (~$200)
here's a link, but I think I got it for about $180 but I can't remember where.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fynspray--solid-brass-vertical-action-galley-pump--190595?recordNum=5

Somewhere along the line when the interior is complete I'm going to have to disassemble just about everything for painting. I will eventually be putting Formica counter tops on after painting. 

I'd love to hear folks thoughts on that...I'm still torn and may leave it bare wood. On another forum one who voted for wood posted a pic of Charlie, John Steinbeck's camper. 

johnsteinbeck-05-autocaravana.cat.png

I love the wood, but I also want to fight darkness induced claustrophobia. With only the one side window natural light will be at a premium. And it'll be really dark with the window cover shut. Lots of LED strip lighting in a number of places will bring lots of light...but it'll be a lot brighter with an off-white interior. Any thoughts?

I like the wood, the richness of the tones... if you don't like it later you can always paint it, but it's a pain on the butt to refinish back to natural wood.

You're doing a great job on the carpentry work...nice work!

Now that you've mastered dowels, take a look a the Kreg pocket screw method of putting things together...it saved my design work and you can always unscrew things. Stuff put together with glue and dowels doesn't come apart...ever...if you did it right!

I don't have an Engel, I have 2 Whynter 65 qt units - the amount of heat produced is negligible and once each are packed there is no way on earth that it's being toted to the outside. Actually the instructions for mine say not to lift it with anything in it and most say not to leave the unit out in the rain anyways. Chances are yours will never see a picnic table... :D 

Emptying the gray water tank before you move - well not everywhere you stay will have someplace for you to dump that tank..think WalMart or a truck stop. I dump mine just about every chance I get on a road trip because I never know where the next opportunity will be. Build it with driving while at least partially full in mind.

I ended up using a light gray paint and a lighter gray marine vinyl for my interior. I wanted all natural wood but had to realize that with different types of wood in here I would end up with a mishmash of colors no matter how hard I tried. Birch, Pine, plywood etc. - none will take the stain the same way.

highdesertranger said:

Thanks, mate.

Queen said:
I like the wood, the richness of the tones...

Me too, damit.  A pebble plops onto the "organic and lasting beauty of a natural material" side of the scale.

Almost There said:
Now that you've mastered dowels, take a look a the Kreg pocket screw method of putting things together...

Checked it out. Interesting. It would be nice not the have to fill all the holes and mess up the wood grain. But...don't think I'm going to go that way as it's just something new to learn and screw up. I'm just getting the feel for the dowels. Thanks for the tip though.

Edit: Actually I may have a need for that. Sometimes I have to fit in a piece of wood where I can't get to the other side to screw it in. Might get a starter kit for some of those needs.

Almost There said:
... the instructions for mine say not to lift it with anything in it and most say not to leave the unit out in the rain anyways. Chances are yours will never see a picnic table... :D 

Oh, you're a ray of sunshine, aren't you.   :p

Unfortunately, now that you mention it and I thunk on it a bit, you're probably right. Rain shouldn't be a problem as I'll have a large awning, but that weight thing will likely rule it out sooner rather than later.

Sooooooooooo..... how 'bout I bought a top loader so the cool doesn't fall out when I open the door.

AT said:
Emptying the gray water tank before you move.....snip..... Build it with driving while at least partially full in mind.

Gotcha.

AT said:
I wanted all natural wood but had to realize that with different types of wood in here I would end up with a mishmash of colors no matter how hard I tried. Birch, Pine, plywood etc. - none will take the stain the same way.

Yeah, that too. I've got all sorts in here. Yet another pebble on the paint side.

Nothing else on the schedule for tonight, might as well get to the toilet post....which will catch us up to date. It'll be real time thereafter, so fasten your seat belts and prepare for the airbag, we're about to go from light speed to a snail's pace in a heart beat. 

I haven't looked in depth yet (who'd really want to) in the "Personal Hygiene" section for composting toilets, but I bet there's a shit load (pun intended) of information there about composting toilets. So I won't bother with too many details on the whys of the feces...uh, species. I'll limit myself to the following few comments and if you want more info ask away.

A composting toilet have three required features:
  • You MUST separate the pee from the poo. Otherwise it'll stink. (I have seen the "Cedar Chip" thread in Personal Hygiene section and admire the attempt, but it seem fraught with nasal peril, to me.) All commercial nautical and RV composting toilets have separate holding tanks for each.
  • All composting toilets have ventilation systems. Everything I've read or seen says they don't stink, so it's not for the smell. The good aerobic bacteria that break down the poo to compost need a lot of fresh air and oxygen to live and thrive; they also have significant heat and moisture that must be vented out. An outside, closed loop air ventilation system to provide oxygen and evacuate moisture is required to work properly.
  • You must stir the poo daily. Commercial systems have a mixer with an outside handle to agitate. I'll have a stick. 
I bought the Separett Privy 500. The important bit looks like this...

separacni-toaleta-privy-500-9-180616091504.jpg

Pee in the front; poo in the back. Yes boys, you gotta learn to pee sitting down. I'm pathologically lazy so I do it that way anyway. It's got a styrofoam seat made for cold weather, which was all they had when I had done my initial research. Had I looked into again I would have gone for their new Privy 501, which has a more normal seat. I'll probably eventually buy the seat for that one and remount it as I think the styrofoam may trap crud in it's pores. Ah well, live and learn. This isn't the first time, and most likely not the last, that I'll spend money unwisely.

At any rate, here's the first mock up.

IMG_1688-L.jpg

The PVC is just a fake spacer. There will be a fair dinkum hose to whatever the final bottle choice is.

Then, somehow, I had to figure out how to make a relatively air-tight seal the very odd shape of the toilet into the five gallon bucket below. Got out the saber saw and started hacking away at a five gallon bucket and came up with this.

IMG_1693-L.jpg

The hose is just here for cogitative purposes. In the hole is a piece of 5/8 plywood cut to just fit within---you can see it's shadow on the side of the bucket bit---and then the bucket piece is screwed in from the sides. 

Closed in the box and installed hinges.

IMG_1698-L.jpg

And now, the big reveal: Welcome to the shit snorkel.

IMG_1699-L.jpg

The top bit of bucket is cut from a 5 gallon bucket just below the ridges near the handle, making it seal fairly air tight. 

You can see the intake and exhaust snorkels going from the rim job up on top that seals into the load bucket,  and on down to the stench plenum below.

IMG_1700-L.jpg

Note the virtually explosion-proof 37/64" marine grade plywood used.

IMG_1701-L.jpg

Here you can see the intake and exhaust chambers---they're symmetrical because a good evacuation should have balance.

Fiber too. You'll see the stack of about 6 fiber vent pads under a metal mesh. 

There's another metal mesh on the bottom stapled to some spacers to make a void on the bottom where the pooterpipes exit.
The two interior walls have holes in them to mount 40mm computer box fans. 

IMG_1702-L.jpg

Pooter pipes and holes in the floor.

Here's the tricky question: I'm getting two fans. Should I mount one each on the exhaust and intake to make a somewhat positive pressure system? Or should I mount one fan only in the exhaust for a negative pressure system---so if there is any leaking it's from the cabin onto the crapper and not the other way around?  I'd keep the other fan as a spare.

Lastly, is the cover. I don't want to look at my crapper all day long and want the extra counter space. Here it's up and latched to the wall.

IMG_1709-L.jpg

Half way down.

IMG_1710-L.jpg

And closed.

IMG_1711-L.jpg

And there you have it...that's the way it looks right now sitting in the driveway as I type.

Next step is fans and the toilet "tank", which will be behind you as you sit, sort of as a back rest. The tank will be filled with compost for a liberal post-poo sprinkle. Web wisdom says sphagnum peat moss or coconut husks are best---evidently they more naturally have the right bacteria---but I reckon I'll be on the lookout for dried, half rotted vegetation around the bivouac to throw in the tank as I camp. 

And then on to the electrical system to get things some juice...and then I can re-register as an RV.

Woot! 

Welcome to the excruciating pace of real-time.

Thanks for following along!!!

the downside as I see it is the proximity to the kitchen. some how I have a problem with sitting there and being able to reach over to the kitchen sink. might be just me. highdesertranger

Cannot fathom how a woman would be able to use that, unless she was very young, then maybe (we sorta do both when we go, but when young can really stop the flow of pee on a dime). Just remember that f your girls ever decide to come along, or you have a date! Maybe grab some wag bags if needed: https://www.amazon.com/WAG-Cleanwaste-Bags/dp/B017S8FSYE

Queen, the separating toilet does indeed work quite well, even for those of us who are 'somewhat older'.

It's all in the design...I have a C-Head and I can't imagine how many hours of design it took for the designer to get the right dimensions...just glad I didn't have to try to figure it out myself.... :rolleyes: 

HDR, I thought about the 'too close to the kitchen' thing too when I was designing the interior of Lady Arabella. I put mine across the 'aisle' for separation of space. Today, I appreciate being able to reach over and turn off the stove while seated.... :D 

Putts - I'd not count on using that area as counter space :D ...In Real Life, it happens that every time you get stuff piled on the toilet cabinet is right when you need in to the cabinet.

I also tried coconut husks but they come in compressed blocks and the time it took to tear it apart was boring as hell and took too long. I also found that it didn't absorb anything. I'm back to using pine shavings (W/M small pet bedding).

Don't be surprised if you don't actually get composting going on in whatever holding tank you end up with. It takes upwards of a year for composting to actually happen. Marine toilets are designed as 'separating toilets' - you dispose of liquid and solid waste separately because there is no room (nor desire) to carry the solid waste around for a year. I empty mine every 3 to 6 weeks...depending on when I get the opportunity to...I'm rather fussy about where I dump. If I could get access to a humanure composting pile it would be great but it hasn't happened yet.

After carrying around the hoses that came with mine for 5 months, testing to see if I really needed to ventilate, I chose not to. As long as the solids are separated from the liquid there is NO smell. Well, except normal bathroom smells, right after using the facilities... :D Open the door, wait 5 minutes and it's all good!!

Since you've already got the pipes in place, I'd only use one fan...an exhaust fan...might cut down on the cost of room deodorizers... :)

highdesertranger said:
might be just me.

Prolly not just you, but I'm not the queasy type. When I had a big family, I was always the one to unclog toilets and drain traps. Though drain trap cleaning is absolutely disgusting. Anyway, doesn't bother me a bit, and the extra counter space is excellent.

Queen said:
Just remember that if your girls ever decide to come along, or you have a date!  Maybe grab some wag bags if needed: https://www.amazon.com/WAG-Cleanwaste-Bags/dp/B017S8FSYE

Oh. My. Gosh!

Your post is the first time I've even thought about a girl using Putt's toilet...much less having a date in there. Thank you for 10 minutes of cuddly thoughts. If there's ever a girl in Putt in need of the facilities, her aim is very low on my list of concerns.

Almost There said:
...I have a C-Head and I can't imagine how many hours of design it took for the designer to get the right dimensions...

Phew. Reassuring....thanks.

AT said:
I also tried coconut husks but they come in compressed blocks and the time it took to tear it apart was boring as hell and took too long. I also found that it didn't absorb anything. I'm back to using pine shavings (W/M small pet bedding).

Thanks for that tip! Have you ever used dry, partially composted natural materials gathered around a campsite?

AT said:
Don't be surprised if you don't actually get composting going on in whatever holding tank you end up with.

After carrying around the hoses that came with mine for 5 months, testing to see if I really needed to ventilate, I chose not to. As long as the solids are separated from the liquid there is NO smell. Well, except normal bathroom smells, right after using the facilities... :D Open the door, wait 5 minutes and it's all good!!

Oh yeah, well aware that it doesn't actually compost for a long time. My understanding is you don't get air circulation it reduces the composting effect. So the vents are for oxygen for the bacteria, not for the smell. Yours might compost somewhat better with the vents.

AT said:
I empty mine every 3 to 6 weeks

I have heard that if it's stewing right the volume actually reduces over time....but I'm stunned you can go so long. Is that full-time use? If so, that's very encouraging. Thanks.

AT said:
Since you've already got the pipes in place, I'd only use one fan...an exhaust fan...might cut down on the cost of room deodorizers... :)

That's the conclusion I'm coming to as well. I do have two fans; I'll just keep one as a spare.

Putts said:
I'd love to hear folks thoughts on that...I'm still torn and may leave it bare wood. On another forum one who voted for wood posted a pic of Charlie, John Steinbeck's camper. 

I love that book ("Travels with Charley") - one of the reasons I became interested in traveling the country.  One note:  Charley was Steinbeck's dog (a standard poodle).  The camper was called "Rocinante", which I believe was the name of Don Quixoite's horse.

Thanks for the note, FTB.

Well got the toilet compost tank cut and fit.

IMG_1716-L.jpg

On would think that's no big deal...one would think.

Welp, Sunday, when I was working on it, I tripped as I entered the truck and had a good tumble. Nothing serious, but I whacked the top of my foot on something real good, and it hurt like hell. I persevered. 

Made a little goof and wound up with a piece of wood too small. Damit. This furniture grade ply is expensive. So I put the piece in my small ply pile---I pretty much keep every piece unless it's smaller than a deck of cards or so---and brought out a big piece and tried again. 

Measured twice, cut once......and found I had goofed again. DOUBLE DAMIT!!!

I breathed a big sigh, and started over.  Had to find a new big piece. Rummage...rummage. I found a piece that was pretty much exactly the width of my toiltet and cut off a piece at the right height for the back, brought it in to Putt to see how much I'd havt to trim off the sides and......wait for it....TRIPLE DAMIT!!!! Of course it's too small, the damned thing was the same width as the one I had screwed up.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!!

IMG_1717-L.jpg

Way to much dumbass gurgling to the surface. Called it a day and went downtown to play some pool with Paul.

Some days you just can't win.

My dad was a cabinet maker, that story would have him shaking his head in his grave. And laughing, there would be much laughing, but he would buy you a beer to ease the pain.

It's starting to look like something already !
Too funny , you measure twice , cut three times and it's still too small ! Classic ! (You'll find things to use those pieces , not to worry.) :D

I think you will be happy with the non-dungeon effect if you paint it all with exterior semi gloss white using a foam roller for a cool pebbled type texture , 3 coats. Then use oak or whatever you like wood trim with urethane or danish oil finish on places like the front of the counter top and framing for the doors (if you choose that style).
Give it another coat whenever it gets dinged or worn...or just dirty.

Formica or even better , stainless for the top and maybe over the potty .