Pure Sine Wave Inverter recommendation needed.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigT

Reaction score
Right now I'm running a Wagen 400 Watt pure sine wave inverter, wired directly to my battery via approx. 10' of 6 AWG stranded wires.

Problem is, it's not running my 120V input, 52 Volt e-bike battery charger.  When I plug the charger in, it runs in spurts or surges.  
I'm not sure why.  Some very helpful folks here assured me it would work fine, and even said they were running the same kind of charger I was running, so I'm not sure what's up.  

I was wondering if simply swapping out the 400W inverter with a more powerful 800 - 1,000 Watt unit would be the easiest thing to do?

On the chance that the Wagen is a POC(rap), I could use some recommendations on what brands of inverters to look at.  I thought Wagen was OK, but some folks have been telling me they're junk and should be avoided.  

I look forward to what I know from past experience will be very helpful replies.  :)

My recommendation is Samlex Power for an inverter. They have better high voltage cut off for use with solar chargers. Victron is a good brand, but I don't have enough experience with them.

You need to measure your direct current (dc) voltage (V) at various points while the inverter is running. You may need larger wires and better terminal connections. More watts (W) will not work with that problem.

Have you measured the wattage of the bike charger with a Kill A Watt watt meter?  Have you measured the watts while charging a substantially discharged bike battery?  What is the watt rating on the charger?

I'm terrible at anything electrical, but I'll get some help and get back to you with the results...

My terminal connections are definitely suspect.  They're just little "thumb screws" you tighten by hand, and often I can feel the stud underneath moving as I tighten them.  I'm going to get some metal hex-nuts and see if I can secure the studs better.  

Right now I'm battling yet another painful kidney stone, so it may be a while before I'm up to crawling around in the back of my van.  

Thanks for the tips.  I'll hold off on buying a more powerful inverter until I find out if it's my wiring that's the cause..
No sense in throwing more money into a larger inverter if it's just going to suffer the same issues.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_99a.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_99a.jpeg
    485.5 KB
Battery size, amp hour/ 20 hours. Size of cables, AWG. Distance from battery, one way. Watt rating on the battery charger. That inverter doesn't look that bad. Gets some respect on amazon. I think your battery and wires are too small. Along with bad connections.
Good luck with those kidneys. Drink lots of water. Pedialyte is good to get hydrated. I cured stones with white birch leaf tea.

The one piece of information that is glaringly missing is: The battery charger for your bike takes 120V AC at what amps/watts?

Sorry, I included the specs on another thread about the inverter, I just forgot to here.  

3A, 100 - 240 W, 52V.

When I get the chance, probably this weekend, I'm going to make a very short jumper, less than 2' long, and hook the inverter to it to see if it makes a difference.  If it helps, I'll run larger wires.  

I know my connections are tight and they're not getting hot when under load.  
It's acting like the input power is fine, but the output isn't.  I plugged both the bike battery charger (under load) and a paper shredder into the inverter, and they both ran in surges, like the battery charger does alone.  

I still have to check for voltage drop when a load is connected to the inverter.  I tried the other night, but my meter wasn't working properly.  
I'll try it with another meter this weekend.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_9e5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_9e5.jpeg
    1.4 MB
(From left field)

Go to one of the HAM RADIO forums and give them all the data from the charger for your bike and what kind of battery your bike uses.
(There are, literally...a ton if retired broadcast and electrical engineers among them, dying to use their brain pans...for free.)
Be nice and they will guide you to a charger that you can connect right to the batteries in your vehicle.
This will end the load on your present inverter and increase efficiency of your system cheaper than purchasing a different inverter most likely. Too many people lose precious watts in wall-warts.

You may get this info elsewhere, but on the ham forums, they will draw blood if the wrong thing is said.
(Meaning, if someone gives you advice that does not hold up to scientific scrutiny, they will call them on it.)

BigT said:
Right now I'm running a Wagen 400 Watt pure sine wave inverter, wired directly to my battery via approx. 10' of 6 AWG stranded wires.

Problem is, it's not running my 120V input, 52 Volt e-bike battery charger.  When I plug the charger in, it runs in spurts or surges.  
I'm not sure why.  Some very helpful folks here assured me it would work fine, and even said they were running the same kind of charger I was running, so I'm not sure what's up.  

I was wondering if simply swapping out the 400W inverter with a more powerful 800 - 1,000 Watt unit would be the easiest thing to do?

On the chance that the Wagen is a POC(rap), I could use some recommendations on what brands of inverters to look at.  I thought Wagen was OK, but some folks have been telling me they're junk and should be avoided.  

I look forward to what I know from past experience will be very helpful replies.  :)

I have been using this 1000 watt inverter for years now, it runs my 52V ebike charger (58.8V) at 5 amps with no problem, I am fairly certain the 600 watt version would work for your 3A charger as my 5A charger pulls 450 watts. I run the Prowatt inverter 24/7 for weeks at a time the power draw is very low (guessing 7 watts), and it runs at 800 watts for me continuously for up to 10 hours in the summer. They have a sweet remote control switch too (separate purchase).
Xantrex Prowatt 1000 on Amazon 
[img=350x250]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71s9TrfReoL._SL1500_.jpg[/img]

Well, I did the voltage-drop test today, and I don't think that's the problem.  

With the engine running, no-load voltage was 14.23 at the inverter.  When I plugged in the bike charger and turned on the inverter, the voltage only dropped to 14.20.  Still, the charger ran in its usual surging condition.  

With the engine turned off, the drop was a little more noticeable, going from 13.73 to around 12.80 Volts.
(I never run the inverter with the engine turned off).  

Then I made a jumper about 12 inches long and connected the inverter directly to the battery, under the hood.  I had to run slightly smaller wires, but at that length, I don't think it was an issue.  
The results were the same: Surging waves of power from the battery charger.  

I think it's time for a new inverter.  Maybe a slightly larger/higher power unit.  I'm thinking 800 Watts would be good.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_9f4.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_9f4.jpeg
    1.6 MB
Itripper said:
I have been using this 1000 watt inverter for years now, it runs my 52V ebike charger (58.8V) at 5 amps with no problem, I am fairly certain the 600 watt version would work for your 3A charger as my 5A charger pulls 450 watts. I run the Prowatt inverter 24/7 for weeks at a time the power draw is very low (guessing 7 watts), and it runs at 800 watts for me continuously for up to 10 hours in the summer. They have a sweet remote control switch too (separate purchase).
Xantrex Prowatt 1000 on Amazon 
[img=350x250]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71s9TrfReoL._SL1500_.jpg[/img]

Does that model have an on/off switch on the housing?  I read on Amazon that there's a remote on/off switch, but it was unclear if it was necessary or not.  

My Wagan has a built-in switch so that I can kill the power to the 120V outlets and keep the inverter from sucking all the life out of my tiny AGM battery.  

If it does have a built-in on/off switch, does it stop the inverter from draining your house battery, or do you need to install a separate battery cut-off switch?

Gopower- Samlex and Xantrex are made by same company
and are Good Quality

buying good quality inverter will save you money in long run -

Holy Cow, this Xantrex inverter is HUGE!

I sure hope it fits under the driver's seat, 'cause it's not going to fit anywhere else.  :-/

Samlex is a separate company. They do not make that other junk.