Propane Tank Weight

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatsyG

Reaction score
How much does a 5lb. or 11lb. propane tank weigh when filled?  Does it weigh 5 or 11lbs only or does it weigh 5 or 11lbs. plus the weight of the tank?  I need to know so I can be sure to get a tank I can easily carry inside and out of the van.
It seems to me this may be a silly question, but oh well.

It will weight the weight of the propane inside (usually rated by the pound as you note) PLUS the weight of the tank itself. If you look at the tank, it will/should have it engraved in the metal how much it weighs empty.

A 5lb is roughly the 1 gallon size (which they can't fill 100% so 5lbs of propane can go in). If you can carry a 1 gallon container of water, the full propane tank wont weight too much more than that. A 20lb tank (what you see on most BBQs) is going to be the weight of 5 gallons of water or slightly more. Nearing 40+ pounds all together.

PatsyG said:
How much does a 5lb. or 11lb. propane tank weigh when filled?  Does it weigh 5 or 11lbs only or does it weigh 5 or 11lbs. plus the weight of the tank?  I need to know so I can be sure to get a tank I can easily carry inside and out of the van.
It seems to me this may be a silly question, but oh well.

The 20 lb propane tank weighs in at a hefty 47 lbs when full. BUT I rarely move it and it can be arm-wrestled in and out with 2 hands. AND it gets lighter as it gets empty.

Easily carried, noooo, but do-able.

It's also a good excuse for me to do some weight lifting at the gym this summer so I can hoist it easier.... :D

I have mine stored in front of the passenger seat since that's empty space there unless there is a passenger (rarely). With a 12' hose I run out through the passenger window I mostly leave it inside and hook it up to the propane stove on my folding table outside. The 12' hose also lets me hook it up to the Mr. Buddy and put it where I want it inside the van.

In case you aren't aware, a standard 20# tank fits perfectly inside a plastic milk crate. Convenient way to keep your tank from tipping over. Mine fits perfectly in front of my passenger sits and never moves around.

Looking at my 20# tank and the imprint says 16# tare weight. (empty)
On the scale I am seeing 36# (full)

rvpopeye said:
Looking at my 20# tank and the imprint says 16# tare weight. (empty)
On the scale I am seeing 36# (full)

Strange, mine says 17 Tare weight but when we weighed it with a portable scale I swear it weighed 47 lbs...maybe it just felt like that... :rolleyes: and was really on 37!

VanTramp, thanks for the explanations.  And by the way, I do enjoy reading about your adventures.

Almost There - Great idea to put the hose out the window to cook.  I am pretty sure I can't heft the 20 lb. tank up into the van, but I think I can manage the 11 lb tank, briefly.  So that's the one I am going to get.

Almost
Are you sure it's not a 30# tank ? Does it take 7 gallons to fill from empty ?

That website has some bad info.  "42%", seriously?  Down here, they fill to 80% to allow for expansion.  Usually we see about 17/18 lbs. for a 'full' tank.  A trade-in tank will often be less, about 15/16 lbs.
If you take the empty tank to be filled, take your bathroom scale.  Weigh it empty, then again after filling.  There is your answer.  Proven empirically.
Basically the weight of the propane (80% of 20 lbs.) plus the weight of the steel tank = total tank weigt in pounds.

One thing I've noticed using bathroom scales to weigh stuff for back packing - they are notoriously inaccurate at low weights. This may explain Almost There's weight difference. What I do is weigh myself - my weight can change 5 lbs day to day - and then hold the item and weigh again. That usually seems consistent and the math isn't too tough.

Van-Tramp said:
It will weight the weight of the propane inside (usually rated by the pound as you note) PLUS the weight of the tank itself. If you look at the tank, it will/should have it engraved in the metal how much it weighs empty.

A 5lb is roughly the 1 gallon size (which they can't fill 100% so 5lbs of propane can go in). If you can carry a 1 gallon container of water, the full propane tank wont weight too much more than that. A 20lb tank (what you see on most BBQs) is going to be the weight of 5 gallons of water or slightly more. Nearing 40+ pounds all together.
Thanks for the information.  BTW, I always enjoy reading about your adventures and looking at your great photos.

Almost There said:
The 20 lb propane tank weighs in at a hefty 47 lbs when full. BUT I rarely move it and it can be arm-wrestled in and out with 2 hands. AND it gets lighter as it gets empty.

Easily carried, noooo, but do-able.

It's also a good excuse for me to do some weight lifting at the gym this summer so I can hoist it easier.... :D

I have mine stored in front of the passenger seat since that's empty space there unless there is a passenger (rarely). With a 12' hose I run out through the passenger window I mostly leave it inside and hook it up to the propane stove on my folding table outside. The 12' hose also lets me hook it up to the Mr. Buddy and put it where I want it inside the van.

What a great idea to run the hose out the window. I know my back won't handle a 20 lb. cylinder, tho.

Thanks everyone for the information. Judging from what y'all (I am from Texas) are saying, I think I can handle a 10 lb. tank just fine.  So that's what I will order.  Thanks again.

I had weighed some bottles on a beam scale. I only have one of those left. My notes on the tank indicate 17 pounds empty and 37 pounds full. The distributor fills the tank with 20 pounds of propane. The exchange tanks are 17 pounds of propane, sometimes 15 pounds. Remember, there is a pressure release on the tank's valve. If the tank gets hot in the vehicle it will release propane gas. Bad Enough Stuff. If the tank is on its side it will release liquid propane. Real Bad Stuff.

ccbreder said:
I had weighed some bottles on a beam scale. I only have one of those left. My notes on the tank indicate 17 pounds empty and 37 pounds full. The distributor fills the tank with 20 pounds of propane. The exchange tanks are 17 pounds of propane, sometimes 15 pounds. Remember, there is a pressure release on the tank's valve. If the tank gets hot in the vehicle it will release propane gas. Bad Enough Stuff.  If the tank is on its side it will release liquid propane. Real Bad Stuff.

Very good to know.  Do you know how hot is "hot"?

It is by pressure in the tank. The less volume of gas in the tank the less pressure builds. My 20 pounder can puff some gas while in the sun out doors. A vehicle in the sun can get to be well over 150 F.

I got the weight on mine holding it while standing on an old yardsale scale , non digital ! :D
My spare tank is in a milk carton jammed between the dash and passenger seat.

I've never seen one vent before , that must have been scary CCB :huh:
I did heat the rig up to just under 100* once , I was outside shoveling off the roof ! pheeeeew

Whatever tank you buy should have it's weight stamped into it somewhere on the ring that protects the valve , if it's a ten pound tank , add ten .

The new tanks have an OPD valve inside that prevents overfilling.

rvpopeye said:
I got the weight on mine holding it while standing on an old yardsale scale , non digital ! :D
My spare tank is in a milk carton jammed between the dash and passenger seat.

I've never seen one vent before , that must have been scary  CCB :huh:
I did heat the rig up to just under 100* once , I was outside shoveling off the roof ! pheeeeew

Whatever tank you buy should have it's weight stamped into it somewhere on the ring that protects the valve , if it's a ten pound tank , add ten .

The new tanks have an OPD valve inside that prevents overfilling.
Thanks, but they don't seem to sell the smaller sizes locally and online descriptions don't say.  Hence my question.  Good to know I can't overfill it if I buy a new tank.  Although after reading about propane tank safety, I think I will buy the 5lb, even if I have to buy 2 of them.

Latest posts