Propane stove - looking for recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OP had a preferred budget of $300 or less, and the Partner Stoves blow right past that price....but they sure look like nice stoves...

I'm a bit curious about the Partner Potty....Pricey but Pretty....for a pottie....

Just messin wit yall...I'd probably use a plastic bucket and save the $890!

https://www.tuffriverstuff.com/jon-ny-partner-toilet/

nature lover said:
I’ve had so many camp stoves over the years.  When I moved into the nursing home I gave them all away. So when I started out again I bought a two burner Coleman the one without the lighter based on knowing that they work well even though you can’t control the temperature as well as others. I use it when I’m able to cook outside.  They are almost indestructible. Inside I have a butane, gas one brand.  Until this I had no experience with butane.  I don’t think it’s the stove I think it’s the butane that makes it much Easier to control the flame and temperature. I’m mad at myself that I didn’t buy one that was dual fuel for about the same price so when I run out of butane I have a back up. Butane is definitely more expensive.

highdesertranger said:
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Partner Stoves.  they have a really good reputation on the expedition type websites.  I have never used one or even seen one.  has anybody seen or used a Partner?

https://partnersteel.com/cook-partner

highdesertranger

they sure look nice.

but I notice prices are not posted anywhere. "if you have to ask..."

HDS, Partner makes a good product.
Nice and a bit pricy but they are made using 12 Gauge aluminum. Search for "Partner cook stove" for pricing. An 18" 2 burner is $396.00

highdesertranger said:
Holy cow.  I would look for a old made in USA Camp Chef.  highdesertranger

I'll keep my eyes ou[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t for one. In [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the mean[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]time, I migh[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t ge[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t a GasOne dual fuel one burner, jus[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]to experimen[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t wi[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]th.
[/font]
[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/size][/font]
[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the Coleman one-burner is back in i[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ts accus[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]tomed place...[/font][/font][/size][/size][/font]

I wonder what's up?

I see the font on the word "the" and "Coleman" is smaller than the rest. mine has been doing that lately when I use the spell checker. what's funny when I do a copy and paste then the font is normal.

"the Coleman one-burner"

the above is just a copy and paste and the word Coleman is fine.

highdesertranger

You are just getting old HDR. A lot of things get smaller as you get old! LOL!!!

highdesertranger said:
I wonder what's up?

I see the font on the word "the"  and "Coleman" is smaller than the rest.  mine has been doing that lately when I use the spell checker.  what's funny when I do a copy and paste then the font is normal.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]though[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t i[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t was jus[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t me. Been happening for a[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t leas[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t a couple weeks.[/font][/font][/size][/size]

I've found [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]tha[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t you can edi[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t ou[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t[/font] [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the offending forma[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ting codes if you choose [/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/size][/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
the Full Edi[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t op[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]tion. (Yep, I once used WordPerfec[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t.) [/font]Bu[/size][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t i[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t is highly [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]tedious, and everyone can read i[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t anyway, so I qui[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t bo[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]thering. Also, if I do a copy-and-pas[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]te, I'm more likely [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]to ge[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the ex[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]traneous codes.[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/size][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

I[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t's a [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]mystery why [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the forum is inser[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]ting [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the codes, bu[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t I've learned you can'[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t fix every[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]thing [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]tha[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t annoys you...[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/size][/font][/font]

jacqueg said:
"...my diced spuds are black on their exteriors long before the interiors are cooked."

Any chance that part of the issue is your cookware? I struggle when the pan is too thin and heat is transferred too directly instead of being more evenly dispersed.

Rafting supply companies are a good source for heavy duty camp stoves. As I recall two burner prices in the $200’s, not aluminum.

The biggest feature I’d like is easy break down for cleaning.

I do a quick boil on my potatoes before finishing in the skillet.

DLTooley said:
I do a quick boil on my potatoes before finishing in the skillet.

Yeah, I'm gonna try this approach. 

I'm also going to get an Omnia Oven, and try roasting potatoes. 

Note - I've just started using grapeseed oil to both season my skillet and cook with. I'm finding that the high smoke point oil isn't as prone to burning my food - which makes sense.

Let me know how that works out Jacqureg. I have a skillet I don’t use because of the stick factor.

I had a hard getting my cast iron skillet to stop sticking. I put it in the oven and a ran a self clean cycle to completely strip to of all build up.

Washed it completely, put it back in the oven at 200* to warm it, took it out wiped it with oil, reheated it to 300*, took it back out, wiped it again, and reheated it to 400*

That time it worked.

I left all my cast iron at my home base when I left in October, I thought it was too heavy. But dang, I missed it. So I bought a pretty nice 10-incher here at Q. then blew the seasoning by overheating. And of course, I don't have a real oven in my van. So I found this -

I love listening to this guy's accent. In one video, he talks about cleaning up rusty cast iron with his "latte", which had me mightily puzzled. took us out to his garage, and showed us his "lye tank".

Coconut oil works pretty well for seasoning, too. Grapeseed oil is better. I'll have to try the avocado oil. I haven't tried flaxseed oil, although some people think it's the very best, because it's very expensive, and it has to be refrigerated. (I tried lard once. Worked well, but it really stinks!)

I think the key to cast iron is to

1) Use an oil with a high smoke point - in my early days of cast iron keeping, I actually tried to season with olive oil!
2) Don't confuse cast iron non-stick with chemical non-stick. Seasoned cast iron sticks a lot less than any other metal pan, but you still need to use oil every time you cook. At least in my experience.

Latest posts