Propane Generators? (nice emergency standby)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyntonstu

Reaction score
[font=Lora, serif][font=Roboto, serif]Propane Generators[/font][/font]
[font=Lora, serif]Propane is mostly famous for grilling your summer steaks and hamburgers, but it's becoming more popular for generators because of the many advantages over gasoline generators. It comes in cylinders that make it virtually impossible to spill   and if it is spilled, propane immediately evaporates. It's clean burning. It costs about half as much as gasoline per gallon. And propane engines are generally quieter.[/font]
[font=Lora, serif]For an emergency preparedness kit, propane is valuable because you can still acquire it when there's a major power outage. It doesn't require electricity to fill a tank of propane. It also has a long shelf life. You can only store gas for about 12 months, but you can store propane indefinitely. It will literally outlast the container holding it. So the only long-term concern is maintaining the tank. This allows you to stock up on it without worrying that it's going to degrade and be useless when you need it.[/font]
[font=Lora, serif]One of the flaws of a propane generator is the fuel system. It's a lot more complicated than a gas generator, which means that it has a greater chance of failure and is more difficult to fix when it does fail. Propane is also not as efficient as gasoline and is almost useless in cold weather below 20 degrees Fahrenheit.[/font]
[font=Lora, serif]The best portable generators allow you to use both fuels, giving you the accessibility of gasoline for everyday uses with the availability of propane during a crisis.[/font]

Here is another site that is more comprehensive:

https://www.generatorjoe.net/html/genfuel.html

Propane
1 gallon = 91,500 BTU
1 cubic foot = 2,500 BTU
1 pound = 21,500 BTU
4.24 lbs = 1 gallon
36.39 cubic feet = 1 gallon

Gasoline
1 pound = 19,000 BTU
1 gallon = 125,000 BTU
1 gallon = 6.1 lbs

I am thinking about a system that uses a 2nd battery and a small propane generator as a backup.

If I were using propane, 2 tanks and a small generator may take up less space and be lighter than  LA batteries.

A small dry propane generator could be stored without smelling and no gas storage would be required.

Here is another good site:

http://www.booneyliving.com/906/how-much-propane-does-a-generator-use/

"[font=Arial, sans-serif]Are Propane Generators Good For Off The Grid Use?[/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]Now let me take a minute and tell you some of the good points about propane generators. Some of the advantages to owning this particular type of a genset are listed below.[/font]
  • Propane is a much cleaner burning fuel then either diesel or gasoline so it is better for the environment.
  • Because propane burns cleaner, it is less likely to leave harsh carbon deposits in the engine which may increase the life of the engine and reduce maintenance costs.
  • Propane lasts much longer when stored than either diesel or gasoline which means that it is an ideal fuel for standby or backup generators."

I would love it if my little Sportsman generator was propane. Even better if it were dual fuel. Propane does not gum up the carburetor if not run dry. It would also be nice to not to have to carry a separate container. On the downside propane isn't always easy to find which is why a dual fuel would be good.

jimindenver said:
I would love it if my little Sportsman generator was propane. Even better if it were dual fuel. Propane does not gum up the carburetor if not run dry. It would also be nice to not to have to carry a separate container. On the downside propane isn't always easy to find which is why a dual fuel would be good.

Tanks of propane are available here at many, many locations.

From https://www.generatorjoe.net/html/genfuel.html

Advantages:

• Long shelf life
  • Clean burning
  • Easily stored in both large tanks or in smaller 5 - 10 gallon cylinders
  • Obtainable during power outages - gas stations may be unable to pump fuel during an area wide outage
  • Home delivery available for larger tanks
  • Quieter engine noise level
  • More emission compliant
  • Gaseous engines do not have a problem with "wet stacking like diesels
  • Less expensive units with air-cooled engines are budget priced.
  • Engine life for liquid-cooled 1800 RPM engines can approach 5,000 to 6,000 hours on industrial quality gaseous GenSets

I don't know where they get there info about no electricity needed. every bulk filling station I have been to has a pump that pumps the propane into the tank. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I don't know where they get there info about no electricity needed.  every bulk filling station I have been to has a pump that pumps the propane into the tank.  highdesertranger

I think they mean that you can go to a gas station when their power is off and buy an exchange 20lb propane tank, not that they could fill your empty propane tank without power. Of course if their power is off they would probably be closed as their cash register and credit card machine would not work. 

Propane powering a generator, while clean is inefficient and expensive. Propane also has less energy than gasoline so not only is more propane required to run it, but the generator will make less power than it is rated with gasoline. One gallon of propane only produces 74% of the energy[font=Arial, sans-serif] that 1 gallon of gasoline can produce, so your generator will consume 26% more fuel and make 10-11% less electricity using propane vs gas. Where I live propane costs about $3/gallon and regular gas is at $2.25/gallon (it was $1.99/gallon before Harvey) so not only will you be paying more per gallon to make less electricity, but you will be using 26% more propane to do so, making a propane powered generator an expensive proposition.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]On the upside, propane stores longer than gas and the engine in your generator will last longer. This makes propane useful in an emergency, back-up power situation but not for regular use. [/font]

Chip

I have a Sportsman 4000 w dual fuel- Love it!- first genset that I don't have to smell fumes in my rig, or tear the carb apart if I don't use it for a few months, and it starts well. It's large enough to run my tablesaw and a compressor even on LP.
Propane at my local (warm weather location) building supply is $10.59 w/ tax for 4.6 gal fill, even if it were $3.+ a gal I'd still use it for the convenience.