Projects gathering

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blars

Reaction score
This is at the idea stage -- I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested.<br><br>Many projects take multiple people, use skills or tools you don't have, or are otherwise undoable on the road or where you are staying.&nbsp; My idea is to have a gathering where people have projects planned, and we all work on all of them.&nbsp; (Some of this occurs at other gatherings, but this would be the main goal of this gathering.)&nbsp; Teaching each other various skills would be part of this.&nbsp; I could contribute skills with electrical, electronics, and computers, someone else may be able to do welding, and there might be someone who can do auto mechanics.&nbsp; Someone who can't do much heavy work may be able to prepare meals, do cleanup, or otherwise contribute. Extra parts could be traded or sold.<br><br>It might be worthwhile to hold it near a small city for access to parts and tool rentals, even if we need to rent a parking lot or empty warehouse.&nbsp; This may give us access to electricity or restrooms.<br><br>

I like this. I have a good construction background. I was thinking of something along the lines of this, although I was thinking of meeting with someone and trading my services for something they were good at. This would work too! I personally LOVED transforming my camper.<br><br>

Great idea! How bout a project gathering where we build gypsy wagon trailers to pull behind our vans? And how bout of y'all come to Alaska to do it instead of me coming down there? LOL

I think its a great idea, but I know from experience how hard it is to get people together. We had great success here at the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous near Quartzsite, but it was mainly just fun and fellowship. Also there is a limited amount of hardware stores in Quartzsite. What do you think of&nbsp; a Work Gathering scheduled for the week after the RTR? We could do it at Yuma which is a big enough city to have anything we could want and has lots of 14 day stay BLM land near to town. <br><br>Tara, you are going to love (or hate) this, Sandy, one of our group from B.C. suggested we build a Gypsy trailer next year as a group project. He has built several before and is one of those guys who can do anything with a set of tools. I don't think it would work at the RTR but a week later for a work gatheing like Blars suggested would work great. Sandy will bring all the power tools and generator to run them. If there is enough interest we can schedule it for next year. <br><br>Any better suggestions for time and places that would work better than Yuma in January/February? Bob<br><br>

I've never been to Yuma, so I can't comment on it as a location.&nbsp; Would it be crowded in early February?<br><br><br>

Yes, it would be crowded, but the traffic wouldn't be nearly as bad as QZT when we were there. I was down in Yuma this week and traffic isn't a problem at all. Plus there is so much BLM land&nbsp; we won't have any problem finding big empty space to be in. Bob<br>

<span style="color: #339966;"><strong>I like the idea Blars, and feel this could/should be persuit further. &nbsp;The GTG's we have had here in the S.E. have had a necessity for those knowleagable and handy helping other vandwellers with the problems they were experiencing withtheir vehicles. &nbsp;Great idea. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;</strong></span>

Elaborate on gypsy wagon.Made of wood?Steel frame?link for design/pictures.

Great bump. I think that the amount of builds going on at RTR have increased over these last 2 years....seemed to be a lot of it at the one this january....and is a real blessing to everyone involved. I guess it can take place most anywhere you have space and power (like adequate solar or a gen) and no listed restricrions....