Privacy Shelters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Without Leash

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

The privacy shelters I've seen look like they won't hold up to the elements long, especially the wind. Ice fishing shelters look like they are made much better, and some of them don't cost much more than a good privacy tent. Most are over 6' tall. There are many sizes and manufacturers/suppliers to choose from. Here is an example of one that seems like a good deal. You can find many models ranging from $190 to $250. Does anyone have experience using these as shower/bathroom tents?

http://www.frabill.com/ice-fishing/ice-shelters/hq200.html

I am new at posting in this forum. I hope this goes through.

Have a great day!

Without Leash

Every shelter has its limit when it comes to wind or snow load. The shelter you posted is for use on ice, but there are few details. Never having ice fished, I don't know if they are attached to the ice or not; I would assume they are, as they tend to be used on lakes, which are subject to wind.

Most flexible shelters can be pinned down with weights or stakes, but none of them are designed to withstand high winds, esp those with flat sides (as opposed to rounded, which are only slightly better). It would be better to take it down, even if you just flattened it, laid it on the ground and put weights on top. Another thought would be to pay attention to the direction the wind is coming from (or is likely to), and position your vehicle so it helps to protect the shelter.

You'll notice that most campgrounds (even dispersed campsites) that have toilets don't have those fiberglass construction-site-type toilets; the ones you'll see are usually built of concrete and maybe stones. That is to protect them from wind and fire, as well as deliberate damage by campers.

Nothing is perfect. Do the best you can with the funds you have available. And welcome to the forum -- there's a lot of info here!

The Walmart ones are easy to put up and can be taken down by one person in minutes. They flex but don't break. The worst thing I have found is the cheap plastic zippers wear out and jam, sewing on some Velcro works when they do. Few tents function well in wind, that is why I'm building on a bathroom to my trailer I haul my tent in!

We pop a privacy popup for maybe $40 4 years ago and it still works fine. Its one of those that you make into a circle when you putit away. The wind can and has blown it flat, but the metal used in it is a weird metal. Once the wind 20mph+(quesstimate) dies down the thing pops back up. Although, when the wind gets to blowing hard, I take it down. I can't afford to keep buying stuff, so I try to take care of it(my liver is exempt from this practice though).

Yeah we use our privacy popup for showers and potty house. Just remove the potty bucket and place down a rubber welcome mat when we shower.

If I get a privacy shelter it will be the quality/size/cost similar to the one posted by HighDesertRanger, about $100 to $120. 

The ice fishing shelters are made to keep fisherman out of the wind while fishing on wide open lakes. Resisting wind is their intended purpose. I don't mind paying twice as much if I am going to get something that will last much longer. I also prefer the larger size as long as it not too large and heavy. 

It seems like these offer two or three times the usable volume at twice the cost and weight, and they will likely last much longer.

Wind resistance is not the only quality issue I am looking at. Tent zippers often fail. The zippers on these seem like they are built really well. 

I am 57 years old and have been camping all my life without a privacy shelter. Watching YouTube footage of the RTR made me realize I would want one in a situation like that.

I suppose I need to find some ice fisherman and ask them if the privacy shelters would hold up for ice fishing. I think I know the answer. 

Without Leash

HDR, are there any ties or loops or anything inside that unit? Something to hold a makeshift shower, or to keep a towel off the ground?

yes there is a shower hanger for a solar shower or similar bag. and a mesh bag attached a wall for soap, shampoo, etc. the floor open or closes depending on what you are using it for. I also have one of those teak shower mat. when I shower I open the floor and throw the teak shower mat down this way the water soaks into the ground. it is a very nice privacy tent I highly recommend this one. I owned others and the were very cheap, didn't last long. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I only use it when I need to,  like at RTR.  highdesertranger

Like HDR said, so far, I've only set mine up at the RTR.  I have a Kelty that I got at REI.  It was kind of a pain to set up compared to that one mentioned from Amazon.  But the wind blew a lot at the RTR, and it stayed up.  The guy next to me had one like the Lightspeed, and it blew away a few times.  To be fair, I don't think he did that good a job of staking it out. 

My $0.02

I think the ice fishing shelter sounds like a really good idea. I would imagine they can take a good amount of wind as that's really the type of environment they'd be used in.

A quick search on some fishing forums and they all have their particular set ups they use for windy days. Lots of guy lines and anchoring to snowmobile or ice auger drilled into ice at an angle. Then banking snow up the side that's facing the wind. Lots of guys say they can successfully fish on 40 mph days.

If you really want wind protection and have the bucks you can always spring for a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent. However, like all options, to be good in the wind will require proper staking and guy lines. My friend's Dad has this tent and i've been hunting with them in winter and it's really an impressive piece of gear.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...102375/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105517980#BVQAWidgetID

Every Road Leads Home said:
I think the ice fishing shelter sounds like a really good idea.  I would imagine they can take a good amount of wind as that's really the type of environment they'd be used in.  

A quick search on some fishing forums and they all have their particular set ups they use for windy days.  Lots of guy lines and anchoring to snowmobile or ice auger drilled into ice at an angle.  Then banking snow up the side that's facing the wind.  Lots of guys say they can successfully fish on 40 mph days.  

If you really want wind protection and have the bucks you can always spring for a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Tent.  However, like all options, to be good in the wind will require proper staking and guy lines.  My friend's Dad has this tent and i've been hunting with them in winter and it's really an impressive piece of gear.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...102375/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105517980#BVQAWidgetID

That is a very nice tent, but $700 is way more than I'll spend for a privacy shelter. It also has a floor and is made for sleeping. It has a separate rain fly. The pop-up features, wind resistance, tall head height, absence of a permanent floor, and under $250 are all pluses for me and are available in many ice fishing shelters.

That fishing tent says it will sleep six people. It sounds too big and bulky to be space-effective as a privacy tent if all you have is a van, although the color may heat it up nicely for showering in winter; summer may be a totally different issue.

HDR, thanks for the info.

If a person has the space, I don't see why not. I like the square size as a person can use it as a second room. Perhaps a different color unless chasing the 70 weather. Black would heat up. Not a bad price.

Latest posts