Prius AC Mileage Effect

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryJ

Reaction score
So I'm in Vegas right now, working a week doing Postmates deliveries, and stealth camping.  Daytime temps are still over 100F, nighttime drops down to mid 80s.  I normally get a bit over 40mpg (my prius is 13 years old, so no 50mpg for me).  Doing deliveries all day and using AC set to 74F, drops my mileage down to the low 30mpg area.  I have no idea how much fuel I'm using overnight to run the AC, but I'm definitely not crying about staying cool and still getting over 30mpg with hard delivery driving!  One temps drop into the low 70s, I'll have no need for AC at night, so mileage should go back to low 40mpg, perhaps better (I just got the Prius this summer, so daytime AC usage has probably kept my mileage lower than winter will).

I'm beginning to think my Prius might be one of the best purchases of my life!

Supposedly you can add an inverter to the small starter battery or a larger inverter to the big battery and just about ran a house as well! Crazy but it is quieter and more efficient than most Honda generators. It makes me consider putting one on a trailer and towing it with a motor home for power and economical transportation when I get someplace. I hope they will soon be popular in a high clearance 4 wheel drive version so I can afford a used one!

Maybe a 4x4 pulling an enclosed car hauler with a Prius that converts to living space. You could use a window AC or ceramic heater in a hatch back tent even. Too many possibilities make my head hurt! Lol!!!

I literally ran my house with my Prius for a day and a half when the power went off. Used about 2 gallons of gas. Minimal power usage, just fridge, sump pump, boiler, and computer, but still. I used my old camper van battery/inverter setup as a buffer to handle the peaks. More power can be made by plugging directly into the big battery but that was too involved and expensive for my needs.

They're putting hybrids in a bunch of models now, I wish they would put one in a cargo van!

Reducto said:
They're putting hybrids in a bunch of models now, I wish they would put one in a cargo van!

A hybrid cargo van would be a very different kind of hybrid. It would basically require Tesla level power built into the two motor/generators, and probably a standard ICE rather than the Atkinson cycle used in a Prius, not to mention a battery at least half the size of a current Tesla.

I sure would love to see one!

bullfrog said:
Maybe a 4x4 pulling an enclosed car hauler with a Prius that converts to living space. You could use a window AC or ceramic heater in a hatch back tent even. Too many possibilities make my head hurt! Lol!!!

I like it! You build it, I'll buy you all the aspirin you need!