Preparing meals.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagabum

Reaction score
I was wondering how people cook/heat their  frozen TV dinners or homemade left over TV dinners for that matter without high draw devices such as MW and toaster ovens.  What is the device /set up and how do you do it?  Thanks in advance for sharing your tips!

in a propane oven or a Dutch oven or on a stove top it all depends what we are talking about. I wouldn't know about TV dinners but with left overs it all depends on what it is. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
in a propane oven or a Dutch oven or on a stove top it all depends what we are talking about.  I wouldn't know about TV dinners but with left overs it all depends on what it is.  highdesertranger
Thanks highdesertranger.

I had to adapt my diet to exclude anything that required an oven. It's all stovetop or no-cook things now. And that's fine.

I don’t use frozen prepared foods. My equipment consists of a stove top pressure cooker 3quart stainless, one frying pan and one sauce pan. Left overs are stored in small Rubbermaid containers and then reheated in the sauce pan. My solar that I use is for the fan, 37 qt fridge and CPAP. But there is a thread under the food section that talks a little about frozen burritos and things. You might find more information there.

I know you said without a microwave, but... I use a microwave. It was the simplest option I could come up with. Draw is high but very brief.

bagabum said:
I was wondering how people cook/heat their  frozen TV dinners or homemade left over TV dinners for that matter without high draw devices such as MW and toaster ovens.  What is the device /set up and how do you do it?  Thanks in advance for sharing your tips!
Hi, Bagabum- I’ve tried with varying success to use just a frying with a tight-fitting lid on the lowest possible propane flame. Everything will run together in the pan. Pies will need to be smashed a little or they won’t heat. I don’t use pans with non-stick coatings, so I oil my pan to avoid making charcoal of it all. I have a little solar oven, but it’s one of those vacuum tube things that only works well with small frozen stuff, like chicken fingers. I’d like a bigger solar oven, because this one would be great if the tube was wider.

I built so to have a microwave. 6 minutes for steam in bag vegetables. While the burger cooks in fry pan on a butane stove. Some canned tomatoes rounds it all together. Pasta is a prep ahead, box full, and then separated into serving sizes. Reheated in fry pan with meat and sauce. Microwave does good job on potatoes, steam in bag or instant mash.

TexasTripper said:
I don’t use frozen prepared foods. My equipment consists of a stove top pressure cooker 3quart stainless, one frying pan and one sauce pan.  Left overs are stored in small Rubbermaid containers and then reheated in the sauce pan. My solar that I use is for the fan, 37 qt fridge and CPAP.  But there is a thread under the food section that talks a little about frozen burritos and things. You might find more information there.
Thanks you Texas Tripper!

Nutball said:
Hi, Bagabum- I’ve tried with varying success to use just a frying with a tight-fitting lid on the lowest possible propane flame. Everything will run together in the pan. Pies will need to be smashed a little or they won’t heat. I don’t use pans with non-stick coatings, so I oil my pan to avoid making charcoal of it all. I have a little solar oven, but it’s one of those vacuum tube things that only works well with small frozen stuff, like chicken fingers. I’d like a bigger solar oven, because this one would be great if the tube was wider.
Thanks for sharing Nutball!

Weight said:
I built so to have a microwave. 6 minutes for steam in bag vegetables. While the burger cooks in fry pan on a butane stove. Some canned tomatoes rounds it all together. Pasta is a prep ahead, box full, and then separated into serving sizes. Reheated in fry pan with meat and sauce.  Microwave does good job on potatoes, steam in bag or instant mash.
Thanks, I may consider a MW as several have stated the draw is high but brief.

Yes. I have 1000W. On high it uses 150 12 v dc amps. The 2000w inverter doesn't mind. Frozen vegetables are mostly 6 minutes. Instant mash 2 minutes. Mathematically that is maybe a bit over 20 ah. 120 watt/hour?

Yes. While meat cooks on butane. My 1000W MW = 150 12V dc Amps. Vegetables take 6 minutes. Instant mash 2 minutes. 21 AH. Easily recovered by solar panels. Hot well balanced meal in just a few minutes without all that boiling on stove top. That is for two servings, unless you are me, then it is one.

Weight said:
Yes. I have 1000W.  On high it uses 150 12 v dc amps. The 2000w inverter doesn't mind. Frozen vegetables are mostly 6 minutes. Instant mash 2 minutes.  Mathematically that is maybe a bit over 20 ah. 120 watt/hour?
Thanks Weight, I am considering maybe the 700 watt MW that probably draws 1000 watts. It will take longer so its all the same total math.  I too have a 2000 watt PSW inverter with 1200 solar (3x400) to keep the twin (24V) series  12V150aH Ohmmu batteries full. I am building now so nothing tested yet.

Firebuild said:
Looooove my pressure cooker.
I am going to look into that as another option for cooking certain recipes of raw start foods. thanks Firebuild.

Depends on whether or not you want to do your reheating inside the vehicle. Years ago on a trip with NOLS (National Outdoor Leadership School) I was introduced to an item - the Banks Fry-Bake. This is an outstanding item for outdoor wood or charcoal cooking. Works mostly like an oven and can be used as a fry pan as well. Similar in use to a cast iron Dutch Oven. Definitely not cheap but reasonable if you are trying to avoid solar panels or high electricity using appliances. I like them, just takes awhile to get accustomed to the methodology. YMMV.

https://frybake.com/

I been using my 12 volt roadpro lunch bucket for the past 8 years. I do use it to cook frozen food now that I have a fridge. It takes about 30 minutes to heat up some fish sticks or taquitos. For can food like stew,soup,chili etc, it takes about 15 minutes to heat it up. It won't cook food but it will heat everything up. It uses about 4 to 6 amps to heat up most foods.

I just use aluminum foil to line it instead of the special aluminum inserts they sell. On mine I replace the cheap cigarette plug with an xt60 connecter and cut the wire as short as possible, it uses thin 16 gauge wire which gets very warm while in use. You can use it with the small lithium power generators, the 11 volts of those units is no problem, I use mine with my 65ah li-ion pack.

When you need a hot meal and don't got a giant battery bank, and don't want to mess with gas, this will work and gets your food very hot. It doesnt have an on off switch, I always use a audio timer so I don't leave it on.

I use it several times every week, and after 8 years, still working. Never had reason to use anything else.

a roadpro.jpg

Attachments

• a roadpro.jpg
    a roadpro.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 4
Steam or fry. I am famous for turning all leftovers into chimichangas. Yum.  -crofter