Pre-vanning anxiety

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$T2eC16F,!zcE9s4g0t87BR(fQB3,Y!~~60_12.jpgvan.jpg There are several great articles about painting a van with Rustoleum using a brush on the net. I used spray cans and one side of my van looks pretty darned good. Cold weather stopped me from finishing but warmer days are almost here. I put a before and after pic on so you can get an idea. I got a pair of decals off e-bay for $36. It's not a really good quality vinyl so I'm going to use it as a pattern and tape around it, peel it off and use black spray paint.

Attachments

• $T2eC16F,!zcE9s4g0t87BR(fQB3,Y!~~60_12.jpg
    $T2eC16F,!zcE9s4g0t87BR(fQB3,Y!~~60_12.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 33
  • van.jpg
    van.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 40
My_Camper_Van.jpg
decodancer said:
There are several great articles about painting a van with Rustoleum using a brush on the net. I used spray cans and one side of my van looks pretty darned good. Cold weather stopped me from finishing but warmer days are almost here. I put a before and after pic on so you can get an idea. I got a pair of decals off e-bay for $36. It's not a really good quality vinyl so I'm going to use it as a pattern and tape around it, peel it off and use black spray paint.

Greetings!

Looks like yours is about the same size as mine...

Makes for mighty comfortable living!

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

Attachments

• My_Camper_Van.jpg
    My_Camper_Van.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 15
Yes CamperMan there is plenty of room. I'm concentrating on the inside right now (see my interior remodel post) but I plan on finishing the exterior once it warms up. I think I'm going to sell my TT during the season and move into the van before my scheduled Nov leave date. My only concern is the 60# Poodle, he's used to having his own twin bed and there's just no room for 4 of us on a 32" wide mattress.

Well actually I've managed to save up to 1300 now and I've managed to up my hours to full time. You see the relative I can move in with won't let me move in till a month or two because they're going on a trip, so that delays me a bit but no big. With a full time job, I can squirrel away a lot more money more quickly. As for the motorized bike, I'm nearly finished, I've seen one or two people zipping around on a motorized bicycle before, I've looked into the laws regarding motorized bicycles where I currently am and motorized bicycles do not need to be licensed. They appear to be considered modified bicycles. As for the laws in texas, I looked them up and don't remember what the laws are about them there but I do know many own motorized bicycles in texas.

Your paint job looks awesome by the way, Decodancer.

However, I have gone shopping for vans and I've already discovered something amazing. I'm so short that I can stand up in a normal hi top conversion van...... ALL HAIL SHORT PEOPLE! *fist pump*

I dont know your TT length but being a workamper wouldnt just downsizing the trailer and using the van as a satellite traveler work better it would give you the best of both worlds....I mean a small 16' footer with bath , kitchen & convertible booth bed or jackknife couch would be nice for long term lay overs and still give you the freedom of the van durring the off time.

Thanks Gaunt, I'm only 5'1 myself so I can relate.*fist pump back at you*
That is an option Mike but I started workamping in a 17 footer and it was too small. Traded it for a 33. I had to sell that one at a loss in N.H. because I was ready to leave before it could be dug out of the snow. Found another 33 footer for $1500 on Craigslist and had it waiting here when I arrived in PA. I sold that when an elderly camper gave me her much nicer 28 footer as her husband could no longer travel. If I sell it during the season, I have a much better chance of getting a buyer and more money for it. I need the cash to take my month long dream trip. When I get to family in Florida, I have a grooming job waiting for me. I figure I can find another if I come back for another season here in PA. My hobby is fixing up old rvs, can you tell?

Painting.

You can do it as long as you have time to work on it.
The roof of my van was rusted bad, so I wire brushed it, then sanded it, and used spray cans. I wish I had rolled on paint instead. I would have saved some money and time.

Buy your paint from a farm supply. Limited colors, but heavy duty paint.

I also repaired the rust I found on the side, and under. Clean it up good with a wire brush, and hit it with Rustoleum rust conversion paint. Come back and repeat, as the rust left will scab up and be easier to clean off. I feel confident that I have at least 10 years befor I have to be concerned about the underside of my van.

The van cost me $500, but with all the work I have about $1,300 into it now. Another $1200 and the batteries, solar and carpet will be done. $2500 for what I want, but with 8 months of labor (unpaid) included. I am lucky I had the garage and other transportation while working on this!

Attachments

• IMAG0196.jpg
    IMAG0196.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMAG0198.jpg
    IMAG0198.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG0259.jpg
    IMAG0259.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 12
decodancer said:
Yes CamperMan there is plenty of room. I'm concentrating on the inside right now (see my interior remodel post) but I plan on finishing the exterior once it warms up. I think I'm going to sell my TT during the season and move into the van before my scheduled Nov leave date. My only concern is the 60# Poodle, he's used to having his own twin bed and there's just no room for 4 of us on a 32" wide mattress.

Greetings!

Are you putting your bed across the back like mine? Mine is 48".

If you're going across the back like mine, just put a second bed on the floor underneath it for whichever kids choose to use it.

If you have a recliner like mine, he may choose that as his favorite spot too.

No matter how accommodating you try to be, ultimately they will find a way to make themselves comfortable. They have the most important thing to them, no matter what you choose, and that thing is <b><u>YOU</u></b>!

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

GotSmart said:
Painting.

You can do it as long as you have time to work on it.
The roof of my van was rusted bad, so I wire brushed it, then sanded it, and used spray cans. I wish I had rolled on paint instead. I would have saved some money and time.

Buy your paint from a farm supply. Limited colors, but heavy duty paint.

I also repaired the rust I found on the side, and under. Clean it up good with a wire brush, and hit it with Rustoleum rust conversion paint. Come back and repeat, as the rust left will scab up and be easier to clean off. I feel confident that I have at least 10 years befor I have to be concerned about the underside of my van.

The van cost me $500, but with all the work I have about $1,300 into it now. Another $1200 and the batteries, solar and carpet will be done. $2500 for what I want, but with 8 months of labor (unpaid) included. I am lucky I had the garage and other transportation while working on this!

Greetings!

Nice paint job on the roof.

I gave up on solar, it cost me a whole lot more than it ever saved me. There seems to be a difference in the charge that the batteries get between solar and a generator. The voltage may read the same, but with solar showing a full charge, I run out of power by 3am, charged by generator, my battery will last the better part of a week.

After all of the money I wasted on solar over the years, the 1 gallon of gas per month that it costs me for all the power I need, is a whole lot more efficient. $100 is over 2 years worth of reliable power for me.

I see that off grid homes are now starting to scrap their solar power now too. The latest and greatest looks to be the new self contained hydro generators that don't require a river or stream. I guess they'll provide an off grid house with full 60 amp service. They are currently too big for portable use, but the emerging technology looks very promising. The fellow I talked to said their goal was to shrink them down to portable generator size. He says he's one of a hundred beta testers for them, and so far he loves his. I guess it cost him $4k ready to run, not too bad...

We need a lot more people working in the alternative energy field.

Cheers!

The CamperVan_Man

My impression is that solar is good for some people, and so-so for others. For people living in the desert (ie: Arizona, etc) where there is plenty of all year sunshine, then I'm sure solar makes sense. But for me, I live near the coast where it's overcast at least half the time, so solar wouldn't be as useful for me. I don't ever see myself living in hot weather climate cuz I can't take the heat, so it looks like a generator and driving around the block daily will have to do it for me.

See your point but I find having a large enough panel will generate even on overcast days. I know you do not have the space up top but with the panel being the only thing on my roof I do get energy on overcast days. Take care

Actually, I've been finding lately that I don't need as much power as I had originally thought when I first started. About the only thing I REALLY need to do on a daily basis is charge my smartphone, which takes extremely little power. Plus watch some DVD movies, a little bit of TV, and/or surf the net on my tablets. Again, these take little power, and the devices I have can operate off 12 volt outlets. I don't even really use my laptop most of the time cuz I mostly use my smartphone and tablets. I even hardly use my Dometic fridge, since I don't keep any grocery items that require things to be cold. I only maybe use my fridge about a couple hours a week, and only usually if I'm driving. Anything that requires heating or cooking, I prefer to use my propane powered stuff. I'm probably rambling at this point. But the point is this. I'm finding I don't really need much power on a daily basis for the type of lifestyle I'm living nowadays, so that's a good thing.

I've got a response to the solar panel post but I will put it under the Electrical thread if anyone is interested. I think this solar thing (whether you need solar or not) is worth exploring.