PowerSonic gel battery

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
3 years ago I bought a large PowerSonic gel battery to use as the house battery for my Dodge van high top, and it has worked flawlessly.  13 months ago I parked the van in outdoor storage in California.  I recently went to retrieve the van and found the doors unlocked.  Looking at the LCD screen on the Morningstar charge controller, I noticed it was blank.  Whoever broke in didn't take anything, but they did flip the solar disconnect switch to OFF.

I removed the battery and charged it with a 3 stage charger and it came back from 1/2 volt to 12.9 volts and took a full charge.   No sulfation like FLA batteries.

I have 3 other PS brand batteries that I use for field use with my high frequency ham radios and 2 are 10 years old and still going strong.  Gotta respect the durability of those gel cell batteries.

I am now converting my step van to LifePo4 power from FLA batteries and I hope they are as durable as the PowerSonics.

Why would anyone break in to turn off the solar? That's so weird. Maybe someone called the cops cuz they saw wires and an LCD screen? Maybe they thought it was some kind of device? Seems like you would have gotten a call at some point if that were the case.

I need an AGM... any one you recommend that's for sale now?

XERTYX said:
Why would anyone break in to turn off the solar? That's so weird. Maybe someone called the cops cuz they saw wires and an LCD screen? Maybe they thought it was some kind of device? Seems like you would have gotten a call at some point if that were the case.

It was stored in a big rig truck yard with people in and out all day but locked up at 6 PM each night.  Every door was locked when I left it there, but all were unlocked when I came back to get it.

Strange thing is there was an Endless Breeze fan and a box of CCI .22 ammo visible in the living area.    .22 ammo is hard to find...

Ah. You might wanna empty out the ashtrays etc then. Sounds like maybe someone wanted to use it as a party shack to toke up or whatever. Maybe even just looking for the weapon that went along with the ammo.

Is .22 still hard to find? I haven't had one in years and years now. Last one I had was a nice little marlin. My favorite ever was a calico rifle model with 2 100 round drums. That was back when 550 rounds was about $6. The most fun you could have for under $10.

If you can find a brick (500 rounds) for $100.00 you are doing pretty good.

9mm and other center fire ammo is going for $1.00 a round and is very scarce.

OK, back on track. This went from a battery to ammo.

Doesn't matter. Posts should stay on the topic of the thread title. That way people looking for information don't have to read through a bunch of off-topic posts.

If you start a thread in "Captains' Logs" then you can post more freely. The same goes for the "Chat about anything" threads.