power sofa-bed motor 1992 GMC Vandura 2500/Explorer conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorelei072

Reaction score
I found a lovely antique armoire last weekend to kick off my vardo gypsy wagon build. I went to pick it up and it did not fit through the side door, so I quickly moved my back-door kitchen into the side-door area, attempted to lower the sofa bed, and the motor quit with the sofa back half-way down. We managed to shove it in through the constricted space and haul it to my mother's place. Today I had time to poke around and peruse a message board that mentions an in-line fuse. Does anyone have an idea as to where to find it? Any suggestions on how to proceed if the fuse is good?

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    1.3 MB
You would have better luck with answers if you joined a Chevy van forum.

I drive a Ford so I can't recommend a good one.

I was under the impression that the Explorer conversion company installed the same furniture in every converted van

^
My van isn't an Explorer van and I've removed the bed but it did look very similar to yours.

The van had a VCR and cassette player console located against the wall behind the driver's seat. That whole console was removed and replaced with a plywood panel. I do remember seeing a red, heavier (12ga.) wire that had an inline fuse that I disconnected and I'm pretty sure it went to the sofa bed.

Trace the power wire (red) from the sofa but it will probably disappear under carpet and then behind panels. That area in my van also has modules for the power locks and anti-theft system but I don't know how a Chevy is laid out.

a wire only has two ends, the fuse is usually at the end closest to the battery.

PS:

The hot wire for the bed may be hooked up to an auxiliary circuit which will have it's own fuse or breaker.

Have you checked for any bad fuses on the regular fuse block? Or for anything marked "AUX" ?

get a multi-meter and start trouble shooting it's something you are going to have to learn anyway. start at the motor and work your way to the switch then the fuse then the battery. you will find the fuse or circuit breaker by doing this. you are correct in assuming that this couch/bed is not Chevy specific. trying to locate where the fuse would be is kinda impossible on a forum because it depends on whoever did the conversion and that might change from day to day. highdesertranger

that multimeter will work. the test light you posted will only show a hot or ground they can come in handy but not near as versatile as a multimeter. highdesertranger

Lorelei072 said:
I found a lovely antique armoire last weekend to kick off my vardo gypsy wagon build. I went to pick it up and it did not fit through the side door, so I quickly moved my back-door kitchen into the side-door area, attempted to lower the sofa bed, and the motor quit with the sofa back half-way down. We managed to shove it in through the constricted space and haul it to my mother's place. Today I had time to poke around and peruse a message board that mentions an in-line fuse. Does anyone have an idea as to where to find it? Any suggestions on how to proceed if the fuse is good?
Try starting the van, the battery maybe weak,,,this worked for me,,,,alsonI need hold down clamps for my rear sofa if anyone has idea where to be found...thanks

I had a handicap van that had a sofa bed like that, it quit working. Hunted and hunted for a fuse and couldn't find one. Turned out it had a fusible link right by the motor. Feel the wire right by the motor up to a foot from it and see if the rubber feels spongy or use your multimeter and test your hot wire for continuity as it might be a fusible link right next to the motor.

Latest posts