1992 GMC Vandura 2500/Explorer conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorelei072

Reaction score
How do you reattach oak cabinets to rear doors on an '92 Explorer conversion?

I have a 1992 GMC Vandura 2500 with an Explorer conversion. I bought it with the cabinets not mounted to the rear doors and have one of the cabinets. I plan to eventually pick over someone parting out another van for the missing cabinet among some other things. But for now I'm wondering how to remount the one cabinet I have into the door. There is a cabinet-sized gaping hole showing fallen insulation, wiring, the outer door "skin," and the surrounding interior door panel lined with velour.

I'm including a picture. You can see the detached cabinet under the black tote on the left.

Attachments

• IMG_5765.jpg
    IMG_5765.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
what does the cabinet look like?
are you sure it had cabinets mounted there?
the picture you posted is very poor for judging anything.
many conversion just had a hole in the panel like is shown in your pic. the storage was just the inside of the door.
it should be real obvious between the cabinet and the panel how it mounts. that's why I asked if you were sure that it was mounted there.
we used to just screw them in, but there was a lip on the cabinet and panel for the screws or the screws went through the panel into the metal of the door.
post up a better pic of the door and the cabinet.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
what does the cabinet look like?
are you sure it had cabinets mounted there?
the picture you posted is very poor for judging anything.
many conversion just had a hole in the panel like is shown in your pic.  the storage was just the inside of the door.
it should be real obvious between the cabinet and the panel how it mounts.  that's why I asked if you were sure that it was mounted there.
we used to just screw them in,  but there was a lip on the cabinet and panel for the screws or the screws went through the panel into the metal of the door.
post up a better pic of the door and the cabinet.

highdesertranger
I hope these pictures are more helpful. There seems to be staples around the edge of the cabinet, but I don't know what they attached to in the door or how to remount the cabinet

Attachments

• IMG_5797.JPG
    IMG_5797.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5798.JPG
    IMG_5798.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
ok I think I can see how it was done.

1. take the door panel off.
2. lay the cabinet on a flat surface flipped over from how it's shown in the pic.in other words put the door down.
3. lay the door panel over the cabinet.
4. attach the panel to the cabinet.
5. reinstall the panel and cabinet.

now you said it was stapled, it could be. or brad nailed. for me I would screw it. well not literarily screw it, but yes I would literarily screw it together. it appears though that the cabinet itself need some love first. I hoped I explained it correctly let me know.

highdesertranger

Latest posts