Power It 1000w Generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the "Power It" 1000w Generator from Walmart? It's really small and light. I can't seem to find it anywhere online, but they had a bunch of them instore today. Anyone know if they're any good?

I just did a quick search and couldn't find a thing on them. my guess is a new Chinese company. highdesertranger

It's a 2 stroke-mix oil and gas
It's probably max 1000 with 800 or 900 running watts and 6.5 amps
It's probably noisy if that matters or not
I wouldn't run anything valuable on it
If I wanted to get by cheaply and say run a large ish battery charger to do my recharging it may work ok.
It could last for years or be a door stop in months
Everybody wants a Honda but $150.00 is cheap if it can fill your needs

How do you want to use it?

Anyone have a link to it? All I've been able to find is a link to a YouTube video of a Power It 3750 generator for $197 (Canadian)...

There is this one from Harbor Freight: 900 watt for $129

At Harbor Freight right now in Rapid City. DH said he needed to "just stop for a minute." Found myself a chair. Got a Nook book loaded on my phone. I wonder if I can have Chinese delivered here. Seems appropriate.

DH went back to Harbor Freight, today. This time, he went alone. He bought me a present - a battery operated fly swatter. He was SO proud of himself! I am speechless.

He won't be going to Harbor Freight alone, anymore.

jeanontheroad said:
DH went back to Harbor Freight, today. This time, he went alone. He bought me a present - a battery operated fly swatter. He was SO proud of himself! I am speechless.

He won't be going to Harbor Freight alone, anymore.
I bought one of those! It's a necessity, it's so satisfying swinging at a fly and hearing that 'crack' as the fly journeys to the afterlife...

Because I like the quality and quiet of a Honda, I tried out a used 1985 EM500, and I ended up buying a second one for $200 and it is like new. These are a 'suitcase' model and are only 500 watts, yet that is actually a good thing if one intends to use it to charge a small solar system battery bank and run lights and a laptop or VCR during the dark winter months when there is little sun. They can be used to charge batteries with a maximum of 6 amps. This is the same maximum rate that the newer Honda 2000i charges batteries, yet it uses 1/2 to 1/4th the fuel, or about .10 of a gallon per hour. These were purchased through a Craig's List ad, one for $150 and the other $200. If one breaks and it is not cost effective to repair, then it become parts for the other. If there is an EMP, it's circuitry is more robust than modern inverter Honda generators as it does not use computer chip. Because of it's all metal construction, it does weigh a bit more for it's size, or about 40 pounds. You can put a dent into it, but you will not crack and damage a plastic case. There are also a later and slightly larger model that is nearly identical, such is the EM650, and then there is the smaller EM400. I believe the old Hondas are the best and they are much cheaper. No part of it was made in China. I knew a fellow who did not have solar panels and charged his batteries for 5 years before he wore out his EM650. Put one in a 'dog house' with fiberglass insulation, and from 50 feet away it is almost impossible to hear it running.

I agree totally, those older Hondas are a bargain! I had a 650 and it was a great machine! However, more people are recognizing their merits and so they have been going up in price. Look around till you find a good deal and you won't regret it.

Just put in the Craig's List search engine box the terms, EM500 or EM650 and there is a good chance of finding one. I just now found a good looking EM650 in Spokane WA for $125 bucks! Also found was a EM500 in Hayden ID for $325. Usually the price is in between these examples.

Correction: the EM500 does not charge 12vdc batteries at a maximum rate of 6 amps, but at 8.3 amps. I've found that regardless of the Honda generator output, the direct 12vdc charger on these generators is the same, about 8 amps. Of course one could power a separate higher output 110v battery charger, but one should limit the charge rate to about 10% of the batteries amp hour rating.

RogueRV2 said:
Because I like the quality and quiet of a Honda, I tried out a used 1985 EM500, and I ended up buying a second one for $200 and it is like new. These are a 'suitcase' model and are only 500 watts, yet that is actually a good thing if one intends to use it to charge a small solar system battery bank and run lights and a laptop or VCR during the dark winter months when there is little sun. They can be used to charge batteries with a maximum of 6 amps. This is the same maximum rate that the newer Honda 2000i charges batteries, yet it uses 1/2 to 1/4th the fuel, or about .10 of a gallon per hour. These were purchased through a Craig's List ad, one for $150 and the other $200. If one breaks and it is not cost effective to repair, then it become parts for the other. If there is an EMP, it's circuitry is more robust than modern inverter Honda generators as it does not use computer chip. Because of it's all metal construction, it does weigh a bit more for it's size, or about 40 pounds. You can put a dent into it, but you will not crack and damage a plastic case. There are also a later and slightly larger model that is nearly identical, such is the EM650, and then there is the smaller EM400. I believe the old Hondas are the best and they are much cheaper. No part of it was made in China. I knew a fellow who did not have solar panels and charged his batteries for 5 years before he wore out his EM650. Put one in a 'dog house' with fiberglass insulation, and from 50 feet away it is almost impossible to hear it running.

Donedirtcheap said:
It's a 2 stroke-mix oil and gas
It's probably max 1000 with 800 or 900 running watts and 6.5 amps
It's probably noisy if that matters or not
I wouldn't run anything valuable on it
If I wanted to get by cheaply and say run a large ish battery charger to do my recharging it may work ok.  
It could last for years or be a door stop in months
Everybody wants a Honda but $150.00 is cheap if it can fill your needs

How do you want to use it?

Hi, by any chance do you know what the gas/oil mix ratio is on the GN1000 Powerit? Thanks

this summer there was a sale on the sportsman 1000 watt inverter generator https://tinyurl.com/y8ot9948 while it is not currently on as good a sale i bought one and even adding the 3-4 year extended warranty i had it in my hands for under $200. there was a long thread on it here on the forum somewhere. sure you could find it with a search. i have been using mine hard and have had no problems. it is just as quiet as the honda, just as fuel efficient as the honda and it weighs just over 20# that is almost 10 pounds less than the hinda. the only thing it the honda will start heavier loads and run a somewhat heavier load. i have both and have run them side by side for these comparisons. if i had to depend on a small genset for some sort of life critical thing, i would take the honda but other than that this sportsman has me impressed. i ran it today at about 600 watts for 3 hours and used less than a quart of gas. super easy to start, maybe 3-4 pulls, BUT very light and slow pulls. hardly no exertion. my buddy was there the other day when i went to start it and he chuckled, you aint never gonna start that pulling like a sissy.. but then he choked when it coughed to life. lol

Similar 1000W 2 stroke genny uses 2 hp motor with 50:1 mix ratio. (Wen)
I think you'd be safe with that...use a good quality 2-stroke oil. (2.6 - 3 ounces per gal gas)

[I assume you've looked for a sticker on the motor and/or tank]