Potential spot in San Diego?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La_Vache

Reaction score
Hi all. I just have a quick question that I'm hoping someone in or from San Diego can help me with. I am going to be making my way to San Diego from northern California, and I tried to find some reliable places to sleep beforehand by going on Google Maps. I found an area called Mission Point Park, adjacent to Mission Beach, with signs posted saying that overnight parking IS allowed, but sleeping isn't. My question is this: is the Mission Point Park parking area a viable place to park overnight and sleep on a semi-regular basis? Can it be done at this spot at all? I would be sleeping in the back of a discreet, unassuming Toyota sedan. Any help with this is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

What they don't know won't hurt them, but you surely don't want that 2:00 am "knock" either....probably patrolled.

A detail I forgot to mention: there is also a gate at the entrance of the parking lot with a sign that says that the gate closes at 10pm and reopens at 4am. As far as I can tell, cops wouldn't patrol this area after the gates close, because they'd have no way to drive in and out? Is it reasonable to make this assumption? Does the SDPD still do foot patrol? :huh:

A few years ago I spent a few nights near there, in the parking lot of Bahia Point, off Mission Bay Drive. The lot runs along the side of the Bahia Resort. The lot had a sign and gate similar to the one you're talking about. This is not the same as the Ventura Cove Park lot, to the immediate east, that shares the street access with Bahia.

I don't know what the enforcement situation is like there now. San Diego has had ordinances overturned, new ones enacted, enforcement lulls, enforcement campaigns, on and on.

It's been a few years since I have been down there as well but it was very easy to find good street parking back then and I can't imagine too much has changed.