British Columbia Recreation Sites

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGfromBC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's very understated on the website but, BC has some of the best remote and backcountry camping sites there are.  The website introduction says; "B.C. offers a host of exceptional recreation opportunities. While some of the province’s most spectacular recreation features are located in parks, many more recreation resources are found in the rugged backcountry."  It hardly sounds exciting from that alone.

It's sort of like what many of you refer to as dispersed camping except that someone got there first and built tables and outhouses.  I recently read that there are over 1700 of these Rec. Sites.  Somewhere around of them are free.  Others range from $11 to $15.  Some have only one site and others have over 20.  

I roam the province on a regular basis and have always had a great, free place to camp.  There is still free camping on any Crown Land not posted otherwise for up to 14 days.   These Sites are in addition to any campsites at Provincial and Federal Parks.  

I have stopped overnight in a few random places but have not had to rely on plastic bags and a bucket because I would rather have an outhouse, a table and a steel firepit.

Here is the link to the  website which has an interactive map as well as a description page with pictures and driving instructions for each site.   We've got coast, mountains, deaserts and everything in between.   Plan your travels for next Summer and ask me any questions you have.  I'll try to help.

Camping & Hiking - Province of British Columbia (gov.bc.ca)

MG

thanks for that share. Never even thought of it

A few years ago I stayed at a friend's house in Bralorne and discovered a beautiful part of BC. We rode our Trail 90s up Steep Creek trail to the top where there was a great view of Carpenter Lake and lots of mountains. Quite a trail with up to 34% grade.

These are some of the places I've been over the past few weeks.

MG

Attachments

• Choelquoit Lake.JPG
    Choelquoit Lake.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Murray Creek.JPG
    Murray Creek.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Nemaiah Valley.JPG
    Nemaiah Valley.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Sicily Lake.JPG