Potbelly stove for 18' camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wondering how this would work in my camper. I'm not sure what clearances I need but I'm pretty limited on space. I'll have to take pics of the inside of the camper and see if anyone has suggestions. Seems like a pretty good deal though.
6f8e49d3d78f8a929d6b39de2e576a0c.jpg
a2cf9e805a00982faa6cea7fdb3c7cf3.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

My recent purchase of a tent that allows a stove inside has had me looking a LOT of places and at a lot of stoves. So far I have found one thing that seems fairly consistent, the clearance recommended. Most I have looked at say two feet clearance on all sides. Not sure how big your rig is.

I have seen bus conversions that have used stoves very similar to the stove in your picture. They used some form of insulation board on the wall to drastically reduce that clearance. So in a hardshell rig it is possible.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

That is alot of heat for a small space, and the potential for CO2 build up with it not being an airtight stove. I would be extremely careful with proper setbacks, chimney construction, heat sheilds, and outside air source.

Don't forget the carbon monoxide, and fire detectors with new batteries.

Proper tiny stoves are just so freaking expensive for what they are. Ugh.

Way too big. There are tiny marine wood stoves that would fit (even with required spacing on the sides) that do a great job. Of course, they cost more than 50 bucks.

The thing with wood stoves is that in order for the chimney to draw properly you need to draw in as much outside air as hot air going up the chimney. So if it's cold outside you're cooling the rig while you're trying to heat it.

I've been looking at old small ones as well. Makes me nervous so I'm going to look for a newer but used one.

You can add metal plating on the wall(s) behind the stove. I would put some of insulating barrier in between the metal and wall as well so the metal doesn't get transfer heat.

There are a fair number of folks out there putting wood stoves in their rigs, and I would have one if I could.

A marine stove would be more space appropriate, but be much more expensive and not have near the ambience of this little cutie.

With proper insulation around, and adequate venting, it would be safe and provide more heat than you want, but on a cold and wet day, there ain’t nothing like the heat from a wood stove.

Go for it, I say, just be careful.

few points,

the reason for the big clearances is because that is an old single wall stove. the new stoves have a burn chamber that is lined with fire bricks or is double wall so the clearances are much less.

the new stoves are air tight and have a secondary burn chamber. they are much, much more efficient. they can be much smaller and put out much more heat and virtually no smoke.

it's CO you need to worry about not CO2. with the newer air tight stone the danger from CO poisoning is much less although it's still there and I would use a working CO detector. Oxygen depletion is also something to watch for, you must have a fresh air supply like any other unvented heater. some of the new wood burners have a fresh air intake but I would still be careful.

protecting the walls, you just don't put metal on the walls you must have an air gap between the metal and the wall. kits are made for this or you can make your own.

in conclusion I see nothing wrong with putting the right wood burner in a RV, I would only use an air tight modern stove with a secondary burn chamber. but there are a lot of issues you must deal with. DO NOT CUT CORNERS.

highdesertranger

Here's a small box stove with chiney & all for about $100 from SportsmansGuide GUIDE GEAR
Guide Gear Outdoor Wood Stove. As far as clearence use stone board & 5/8" firecode drywall & a stove board that extends 8" oe more in fronnt of the stove.
Item # WX2-648081
/
Mfg. Number: 21020104101
/
UPC: 885344585037

I know you want to have a spark arrestor on it. I think the rangers will have a serious talk with you if you don't.

Don't know about the other

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Not all of the tiny wood stoves are catalytic, some of them do pass current EPA regulations without that feature.
Such as the "Sardine". It is a modern airtight mini wood stove but has the styling of historic types used on old wooden boats. They also have a drop in alcohol cook top burner so you can still cook with it during the summer time.
http://www.marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm

seems very big for an 18' camper. cook ya out I would think.
plus as others stated, don't cut corners in any way when you do a project like this. Do it correctly from day 1.

I really like that "Tiny Tot" stove^^^^. The next problem would be how to store your dried firewood supply, and keep it dry, and clean. On such a small stove, you will be limited to pcs about 6" long, and 2-3" in diameter, which all require lots of processing, and time to season (age) to burn properly. As to how much you will use for the Winter season depends on how cold your area gets, and how warm you want your rig. You must plan on a decent amount of dry storage area for at least a full cord of firewood (4'x4'x8'...this is 4 feet by 4 feet by 8 feet long for each cord, or two long bed pickup truck loads for each cord).

I cut/haul/unload/split/stack/haul/burn about 5 cords a year for my farmhouse using mostly dead Ash trees (damned emerald ash borer beetle), so there is alot of processing, and storing of wood on my property. I basically have all of the wood I will need already cut/split/stacked for this next season (usually starts in late October here in NW Ohio) because it needs the hot, breezy, summer to properly dry out.

yeah but you only have to carry wood where collecting it is illegal. if you are just using the stove to take the edge off I don't think you would use much wood at all, unless you are in an area that gets really cold. if you are in an area like that why wouldn't you just move it's not like you are stuck.

good call, yes spark arrestors are required.

highdesertranger

Yeah the price is much better than others. I was also thinking how often these tiny stoves need fed wood. I don't really want to be feeding it every 15 mins. As far as wood and storage goes, I already have a wood stove in my main house, so I have lots of storage, but I would definitely need to cut alot Smaller.

I would keep a bucket of two of cut, and seasoned wood in the camper, and possibly be able to add to that supply with when you could collect fallen/dead branches. Most times in the Winter, however, the branches on the ground are wet, and won't burn well.

Hardwood fuel pellets. About $6 for a 40 pound bag.

I didn't even think about this,

but transporting of firewood is illegal or highly discouraged in a lot of areas.

if there is none to collect close but then I buy small amounts from local firewood dealers, not those bundles wrapped in plastic they are rip offs

unless I am going to the RTR then I buy a cord. LOL.

highdesertranger