Portland overwhelmed with abandoned RV's.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And we wonder why so many cities are outlawing street parking........

GeorgiePorgie said:
Too bad housing is so expensive many peoples can't afford it.

A civilized society would DO something about that. Sadly, if "well, go live in an abandoned RV" is our best "solution", then we don't live in a civilized society.

Those abandoned RV's in Portland OR were left by a company who was tearing them down. They would take parts/pieces off of one and leave it in the street, no law against it, to be left for another time when they needed something else or were ready to get rid of it. There was literally blocks of the stuff.

It gave houseless and homeless folks a bad name because they got blamed when in fact it was an irresponsible business. The business should be fined. I would say the city should pass a law but such a law would end up hurting the houseless. It has had some adverse affects in surrounding communities/suburbs - the no parking signs are popping up everywhere, literally on new streets with no buildings and in commercial zones causing the semi's to have to drive miles for a place to park.

Too bad there's not an enterprising salvage business that could put homeless or halfway house people to work dismantling the things for the metal. I guess it's not profitable these days. Before the recession hit they paid pretty good $ for junk cars. Seems the city could offer some kind of incentive like tax breaks for a business that would take on a clean up.

Still would have the housing problems though...no easy solutions.

what's the name of the company that is putting these motor homes on the street? highdesertranger

My brother moved to Portland about 6 years ago and he's had a little taste of everything since being there, from Rv's parking on his street to homeless people sneaking in his shed at night. He even let the guy stay in the shed and threw him a few bucks every now and then, until he started leaving dirty needles laying around.

There is no money in junk rv’s... far more cost to the salvage company than any possible return. Copart and IAI have tens of thousands of them in their yards around the US and can’t give them away...

Some entrepreneurs in LA were getting trashed rv’s for free from insurance salvage title yards parking them on a street and renting them to homeless folks for like $50 per month... kabc radio just did a show on it.

This link can be hazardous to limited data plans, don’t follow it...

The following link is an RV rental story from abc news Los Angeles regarding the homeless

http://abc7.com/la-councilman-wants-to-end-renting-rvs-to-homeless/2718575/

It's a vicious cycle; any town that has a permissive and non-discriminatory attitude towards the homeless attracts the bottom of the barrel, and the resulting reactionary policies mean that the few towns that remain permissive become swamped even further by the undesirables. There really is no solution besides commitment to mental institutions for those incapable of coping with society, and draconian enforcement of "quality of life" ordinances. This sounds very cruel and uncaring, but there is no doubt that it works. For example, the small town that I am currently camping outside of (Wickenburg, AZ) is perfectly cool with vandwellers who blend in with the local population, support themselves, and follow the basic rules of civilized society. However, there is zero tolerance for panhandling, drug use, lack of hygiene, loitering around in packs, public drunkenness, yelling at your inner demons, parking on town streets overnight, and similar such behaviors.

> panhandling, drug use, lack of hygiene, loitering around in packs, public drunkenness, yelling at your inner demons, parking on town streets overnight, and similar such behaviors.

One of these is not like the others.

Putting those that "can't cope" (by whose standards?) into proper "mental institutions" sounds a lot more expensive than just providing public housing to those in need, as all countries that are both wealthy and civilized world do.

And yes properly funded public health care, which includes mental health and substance issues.

Rather than pushing things so far it becomes a law enforcement issue.

I work in a residential setting with developmentally disabled. Some of the people I support would be classified as, 'mentally ill'. I think supportive residential settings can fill the gap between self sufficient individuals and those who are not self sufficient. The main issue I see from the perspective of the people I support or from my experience with the mentally ill is the reality that such settings often promote the limitation of individuals rather than supporting limitations to promote better quality of life issues. I have often wanted to create similar residential settings for all sorts of people whom fall through the cracks of our mainstream culture.

Providing a variety of housing solutions has been useful in solving issues of homelessness - won't get into that much since it's nearly always political.

It's too bad these RVs end up in this location in that state. A city code which gives the city the ability to move delinquent RV's could be useful. If an irresponsible company is doing this, perhaps the city or county could pull their license to operate in the city. Zoning codes can help here. If it is known the vehicles are parked for parts, the area could be zoned non-comercial for auto/rv. This wouldn't necessarily restrict parking to RVs but would give the city leverage necessary to remove junk or part RVs.

Alas, we have decided, as a society, that we simply don't want to do anything about mentally ill people (or homeless people), and we don't really care what happens to them. "Let the cops handle it".

Sorry, I just watched the video. It's too bad these cities have this problem. I was going to say more but it leaned too heavily on the political side. Ultimately it is to the people and the governments of these places to come up with solutions to the problem. I hope they come to a solution which has the best interests of all involved.

I think part of it goes back to the old (was it Mayor Bloomberg's ?) "tipping point" theory; that is, that one broken window in a parked vehicle invites other breakage and vandalism but an intact vehicle is somewhat more likely to remain untouched. NYC put that theory into practice years ago by considering obviously damaged vehicles to be abandoned and subject to being towed without notice.

In Texas, most cities won't bother a vehicle with air in its tires and a current inspection sticker on its windshield, but will snatch one that doesn't meet those simple requirements so fast you'll want to be sure not leave your stuff in them when you walk into the store.

Those RVs in Portland wouldn't quite pass that test.

Johnny

Mental illness is terrible yes. The more seriously affected often go on meds then stop taking them as a routine. Should they all be institutionalized? No.

The biggest problem with housing the homeless is it is expensive, and people get complacent. People boondocking on the street in an RV are halfway to getting back on their feet, and some semblance of self sufficiency. They already have "housing" but no place to put it a. They need a break and a boost.

The best way to handle this? If you have ever camped at the race track? That setup would work. They bring in shower and toilet trailers (about 30 ft each) with running water and sewer connection, put up a little grocery store tent, food trucks and a camping world. (This is at PIR/IMA raceway in Phoenix). 6000 reserved RV spots and thousands more in the unreserved area. It lasts a week. Take this formula and tweak it for the RV dwelling homeless: Permanent buildings with showers/toilets (use the trailers while they are being built) put in a store that can take food stamps and only sell what can be sold with them, a few food stands that sell cheap but decent prepared food (also food stamp eligible), Allow no drugs and alcohol, (good luck) and 110V 20A electrical hookup. Have people refrain from using their plumbing unless they can afford to have it pumped out or they have a tote tank. Disallow junk, only chairs and tables/grills and awnings outside. Use section 8 housing funds to pay for it all, and use the Sheriff's posse to patrol it, and toss people out at the first inkling of trouble/drugs/alcohol. Make it open to about 1,000 RV's and ensure there is some space between them (Zoomtown was like a parking lot / refugee camp, but fun). Oh, and a bus stop for the school bus and a city bus/shuttle to the city's bus hub so people can go to work.

Thoughts?

I like your idea, but food stamps can't be used for hot food. That puts a big limit on already prepared, enjoyable, nutritional meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.