portable fence?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianTraveler

Reaction score
for those traveling with bigger dogs, do you have them on a leash or do you have a portable fence enclosure?

I've seen both, but I've usually used a tether so my dog could go inside if she preferred. A fence depends on the dog's training. Most of those fences are only waist-high, and some dogs can clear them w/o half trying.

But if your dog is trained, a fence like that just sets his perimeter, and he say, 'okay'.

I once saw a large, shiny new 42"/106 cm folding one at a yard sale, and there was a Class C parked in the driveway. I looked at the woman and said, "It didn't keep the dog in?" She shook her head and just said, "Beagle". No further questions required. (For those not familiary with the breed, a 12" Beagle can crouch at the base of a 6-ft fence, leap, hook his paws on the top, scramble over and he's gone.)

But once, I did see an unusual arrangement for two Miniature Poodles: it was just a waist-high (36"/92 cm) one, but they had attached about 6" of chicken wire around the top. Of course, I had to stop and ask. The man said both dogs were climbers, and their vet suggested the addition: when they start climbing and reach the chicken wire, it flexes inward and they drop back inside. I have used this technique on my 6 ft home fences to keep my cats on my property, and it works the same way. But useless for large dogs, I'm afraid.

Beagle owner; he's on a leash.  Portable fences are a pain to store and set up. Leashes are easier to store, less likely for the dog to escape.

-- Spiff

that is what I thought, they are too big and would require quite a heavy duty fence.
I was thinking of using a clothes line and put the clips on the ends, they make some that are about 5ft but if i could use a clothes line it could be any length at all depending on where i camp which will be mainly boondocking so not so much concern about other ppl just them not knowing their surrounding and catching a scent of something and taking off. the 3yo is trained to come back but the 1yo is still learning lol.

I have been wondering if snow fencing might work. It is like $60 for 100ft and rolls up for storage. I dont imagine the poles would be too heavy. Just not sure how well it would contain the dog but I am thinking about testing that in my already well fenced backyard.

CanadianTraveler said:
I was thinking of using a clothes line and put the clips on the ends . . .

Clothes line is not very strong.  A better solution would be to go with paracord (550 lbs breaking strength) or the next size larger nylon cord (900 lbs, this is what I use).

slynne said:
I have been wondering if snow fencing might work . . . I am thinking about testing that in my already well fenced backyard.

There has to be something your dog really, really wants outside the fence for it to be a good test.

-- Spiff

There is also lightweight chain, esp good if the pupster is a chewer. You can buy them with the clips on both ends and a swivel in the middle, or you can buy the chain by the foot, and add your own clips.

I just use leashes and one very long thin orange rope for frisbee playin!    I also have a door gate, like for a child, to put across the slider door area...this way we have good air and can watch the world go by outside too!

Since I will be stationary to work half of the year I am going to be looking for a 4ft portable fence set-up. My dogs, both border collies, are both great respecters of my current 4ft snow fence. I know they are physically capable of going over it, but they don't. Neither does well on a chain or tether. They will be loose when I am with them (they are trained working dogs) but left in the "yard" when I have to work.