Portable cooler stuck on freezer temp

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather Sturgill

Reaction score
I have a Cho power sports cooler that says doc on the front that is stuck on zero degrees. I can’t adjust the temp or turn it on or off. It powers on fine and gets to the set temp fine. I tried to buy a control board on AliExpress and they say the alpicool doesn’t match eventhough they look the same. Any help would be appreciated! I have attached photos of the control board and the cooler itself. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpeg
    IMG_0257.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0258.jpeg
    IMG_0258.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9831.jpeg
    IMG_9831.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 0
Have you tried disconnecting the fridge from the power source and letting it sit that way for several minutes before reconnecting it to the power source? That is sometimes referred to as a hard restart. A hard restart can clear out memory issues from previous settings that got into a strange arrangement.

Does the manual have a procedure called a “factory reset”? If so then follow the steps for that procedure.

Also more than once when helping women with 12v fridge issues I have seen them use a series of extension cords strung together to power their fridges. That can cause a lot of issues.

Of course you might also use a fridge thermometer to check the actual temperature inside. If it is reading what you set it at or close to it then rely on the thermometer instead of the digital readout. You can get refrigerator thermometers at Walmart and hardware stores. I recommend that there should be one in your kitchen utensil drawer even if you do not want to leave it in your fridge full time. It will give you peace of mind to know exactly how cold it is in your fridge.

Last edited:
Have you tried disconnecting the fridge from the power source and letting it sit that way for several minutes before reconnecting it to the power source? That is sometimes referred to as a hard restart. A hard restart can clear out memory issues from previous settings that got into a strange arrangement.

Does the manual have a procedure called a “factory reset”? If so then follow the steps for that procedure.

Also more than once when helping women with 12v fridge issues I have seen them use a series of extension cords strung together to power their fridges. That can cause a lot of issues.

Of course you might also use a fridge thermometer to check the actual temperature inside. If it is reading what you set it at or close to it then rely on the thermometer instead of the digital readout. You can get refrigerator thermometers at Walmart and hardware stores. I recommend that there should be one in your kitchen utensil drawer even if you do not want to leave it in your fridge full time. It will give you peace of mind to know exactly how cold it is in your fridge.
I unplugged it for more than a week, I took the whole control panel out and put it back in. The manual is useless 😂 and it’s plugged directly into the wall. It cools fine and counts down the temp, it just doesn’t let me adjust any setting when I push the buttons. It’s unfortunately set on freezer temp bc I was freezing ice blocks last time I used it, not going to work for beer: I want to spend 30 bucks on a new control board but I can’t seem to find the same one and also express won’t send me one that doesn’t match exactly, which I assume would also work fine bc the back of the control panel has the same plugs on it:

If you are only using this on home AC electricity, then why not buy an external temperature controller and be done with it.

Of course, this assumes the unit will start cooling as soon as power is applied. If you have to manually turn it on or push a button for it to begin operating after power is restored, then this wont work.

But, if the unit DOES begin cooling when power is applied, and you are only using it on home AC power (or RV shore power) then this will get the unit working again, and maybe eventually you can find a replacement board from Wayman.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3224241503...2296084805&itmmeta=01J361YBF9SNH4QMEPP5HWS6T6

If you are only using this on home AC electricity, then why not buy an external temperature controller and be done with it.

Of course, this assumes the unit will start cooling as soon as power is applied. If you have to manually turn it on or push a button for it to begin operating after power is restored, then this wont work.

But, if the unit DOES begin cooling when power is applied, and you are only using it on home AC power (or RV shore power) then this will get the unit working again, and maybe eventually you can find a replacement board from Wayman.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322424150314?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=270070,269853,269981,269114,269178,270059&meid=2f48d428b7ef4098811fed055fcb541e&pid=101196&rk=1&rkt=11&sd=164170172046&itm=322424150314&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2332490&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bAndUBSourceDemotionWithUltimatelyBoughtOfCoviewV1Armo&brand=Inkbird&_trksid=p2332490.c101196.m2219&itmprp=cksum:3224241503142f48d428b7ef4098811fed055fcb541e|enc:AQAJAAABMC1sF18z75%2Fg8r5YD3ASyA5jeDoys2tOm4JOfA4uKWjhQag0qylZrK2KBArXVk7u%2FY8j8qDKXsZ6rSj5Dewz1e1DxVlYzmWn5XOa7RYJJupZW405EfRBJwdLGoDgBh%2FiHvMlvnnuXV7XjDwT98iDYSoGq8ip535u6tGz8FvkgDEadqZNMr%2Fy%2ByupSmd9dovwm6%2FVpuUDO7G%2FU37Z0dpeDRkSZqYfUNKxFh%2BDpxhxhFVTlO%2FwCAJLHDEcZGrOWQw6ndFmKfS2xlSus7zgBwyzAtket1RKueEDAS3%2FHnsvFjcY--yw3hRhW0xj8Ur4fUixta7Hhz1e4g8RbxR7jJ4DhkWhcV68UG69zuX2cbC387%2F%2B92g3MY8FRQQ49xIEYvCBHUC5zEUa0HKjj5Ga%2BevVHKI%3D|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:2332490&epid=2296084805&itmmeta=01J361YBF9SNH4QMEPP5HWS6T6
I did manage to get the temp changed today to 23 which is actually around 35f. It’s never been accurate. If I unplug the thermostat from the port in the back the buttons work although it displays an error code and it seems to be working fine. It’s at the set temp and only turning only periodically when it needs to cool…I ordered a board from alpicool today that seems compatible eventhough it’s bigger. We shall see! If that doesn’t work I’ll probably go with your suggestions! I use it only on shore power and at home but when I’m driving I plug it into the cig lighter port if it’s super hot in the van.

The majority of the chest fridge freezers are the same with rebranding. There are some button sequences that allow you to change the thermostat so it reads accurately.

That brand isn't active anymore.

What is the model number on it? How large is the capacity?