Fridge/freezer? I feel confused

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summer

Reaction score
Hi all. We found our rig (woo!), a 26 foot shuttle bus. It’s the cutest and we love it.
One of the many things to figure out is a fridge/freezer situation. To power things we’re aiming for plenty of solar with a generator for backup. 

I’ve been looking at residential mini fridges, and also at the portable fridges that look sort of like coolers, the whynters and like those. I’m totally confused, though, about the pros and cons between the types, and really don’t understand if there’s one type of refrigerator I should be leaning toward and why.

We plan to boondock as much as possible, and freezer space for frozen vegetables is a priority for us when it comes to our fridge. I’ve thought of maybe getting a fridge and also a tiny chest freezer, but I don’t know for sure whether we can dedicate the space for two separate appliances; we’re still working on our layout. I know we’ll probably just need to adjust how we shop and cook to a degree, but It would be nice to find a middle ground.

Help?

You did not mention a budget so I would recommend a 55-60 size dual-zone fridge freezer (12v compressor fridge) along with a few hundred watts of solar, a couple of house batteries, a decent solar charge controller, and a small backup inverter generator.

Top brands are Luna, Engle, ARB,...mid priced brands are Dometic, Whynter...budget friendly brands are Alipcool and others....although I dont know if they all will have dual-zone units.

For one I use a 45 liter 12v as a freezer and the mid sized yeti type lifetime cooler (Walmart) with ice from the 12v. I can go for extended periods.

Running a 12v freezer takes contbous power, you can lower that cost by only run during the day, but that is suboptimal.

120v appliances are cheaper, but are susceptible to vibration damage. There is power loss from the inverter conversion and traditional front opening units are less efficient than top opening chest freezer or cooler type units. They are also more difficult to secure as well.

If you can find a garage sale smaller chest freezer it’s probably worth the vibration damage risk. I’d put the cost of a new 120v to a mobile designed 12v.

The market for 12v is evolving and getting a little cheaper. There’s a product that looks like an off brand whynter that looks good. I forget the name. I don’t think anyone has done a thorough review of them all.

I’m not full time anymore, so the mid tier was my choice.

I've looked around a bit at different models and sizes, although all 12v portable types and not necessarily for the freezer aspect, more for a fridge.
And it's just for one, me, and I eat a pretty basic diet so don't need a lot of space.
This is probably what I'll end up going with, and it may be bigger than I need, but figure a little extra wouldn't hurt:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BYQK42C/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A2AFGYFA9KKIAA&psc=1
Or I may get one a little smaller:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088FDTTY...olid=2KPBM55BS504P&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I really need to calculate actual needed space for x amount of days, space is a consideration as well so I don't want to get something much bigger than I'd actually need.

I have three of these,

https://engelcoolers.com/collections/powered-fridge-freezers/products/mr40-overland-fridge

I use two as refrigerators and one as a freezer. I keep the refrigerators at about 38°F and the freezer sub 10°F. the freezer uses vey little power about the same as one refrigerator but I only open it sparingly maybe once every couple of days. with all three running they use just over 8amps total. with a duty cycle of about 20% they use very little power.

one is over 10 years old, one is 10 years old and the third one I bought used 5 years ago for 300 bucks.

I was very hesitant to buy my first one and I tried everything to avoid it. I did the ice chest, the 12v peltier coolers, propane RV refrigerator, 120v dorm refrigerator. I would have been dollars ahead if I just bought the 12v refrigerator to begin with. the others were a waste of money IMO.

highdesertranger

Thanks so much everyone! Sounds like our best bet will be the chest type compressor fridges. I will get to work figuring out what we can afford.

I bought a 12v Coleman Cooler, not a fridge/freeze, just a cooler, it runs 24/7 and pulls 5 to 6 amps the whole time, and it freezes my food.

Its support to drop the temp up to 40*, but it is below freezing, it will work in a pinch, but I'm not impressed with it.

I had to have something to get by, so now I use it set my little heater on.

Hmm, that is good to know about the Coleman.

I’ve run into a new roadblock that I guess I hadn’t paid attention to in my casual browsing before. We live in Alaska and until the Canadian borders fully open back up will likely still be traveling in state once we get on the road. I’ve mostly been looking on Amazon, but a few other sites as well, and nobody seems to want to ship a fridge to Alaska. I’m guessing if I were to ask the RV repair/supply shop here they might be able to order me something, but I’m guessing I’ll pay more for the convenience if they’re able to do that.

If the borders weren’t closed and we were planning to head south soon after we got on the road, I think we’d just use our cooler with ice until we got down to to the lower 48 and order a fridge when we got there. But we don’t really know how long it will be at this point, soooo. Now I’m not sure.

[emoji23] Probably!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought an Iceco chest type fridge after seeing Bob Wells praising them in one of his videos. I was able to use his Amazon link which benefits him and in turn benefits the Homes on Wheels Alliance since he supports the charity.

I originally wanted a Whynter dual-zone but this little Iceco has worked well for me for about a year now. I can lower the temperature to freeze things if I have anything that needs to stay frozen... then I put those things at the bottom and pile other things on top, sometimes in bags to protect them from extreme cold, and there's a ledge at the back where I can put milk and other items as it doesn't freeze at all back there.

Anyhow, if you can, take time to go to Bob's YouTube channel and watch his videos about refrigeration. He gives good reviews.

In my build I'm planning on getting the alpicool 12v compressor fridge. I saw a video review and some numbers on it a few years ago. I'm planning to start with 1 of them and later add a second one to use as a freezer. I like the idea and space consolidation of a dual zone but I like the redundancy of 2 separate units even more. As well as being able to split the cost over 2 purchases.

The alpicool in fridge mode in the test used 70 watt hours per day. So a single deep cycle battery and a 100 watt panel should have that sorted. It sips power compared to peltier coolers like HDR mentioned. Peltier coolers are ok if you have the juice in cold climates but arent good for more than keeping your water slightly chilled in warm climates.

In freezer mode it was 456 watt hours per day in his test. Considerably more, but manageable. And too cool to use the sun to freeze things. XD

I like the idea of a freezer to keep some food items, but then use the remaining space for ice packs or frozen water bottles. Then rotate the packs daily into a chest cooler to be used as the fridge. I have two super insulated coolers that will keep ice for days. One is a Pelican. The other is a Coleman I think, and is not quite as good as the Pelican, but has much more room. Modern coolers are excellent compared to the old ones.

12v compressor equipment all the way. The efficiency of them is everything. I've used a 120v dorm fridge and it was always a pain. Draws way too much when it starts, and you lose too much energy in the inverter through the conversion. I've killed too many batteries with it, should have gone 12v compressor from the beginning. Live and learn...

Ramblin McPete said:
I like the idea of a freezer to keep some food items, but then use the remaining space for ice packs or frozen water bottles. Then rotate the packs daily into a chest cooler to be used as the fridge. I have two super insulated coolers that will keep ice for days. One is a Pelican. The other is a Coleman I think, and is not quite as good as the Pelican, but has much more room. Modern coolers are excellent compared to the old ones.
This is some of what I do. I don't live in my van so may not totally work for those that do.... We have 3 things I use, one that is 12 volt that is our freezer, 1 med size ice chest, one small ice chest for by the seats. 12Volt holds our frozen meats etc. and 4 smallish ice pack things. Each morning I take the ice packs out of the ice chests that are usually still pretty cold and switch with the frozen ones. The one for food then doesn't get opened except when cooking. The smaller one sits between the seats holds drinks and such. It has worked for us so far, but again we aren't living in our van and are in a pretty cool temp area. I did need to buy a small bag of ice once for the ice chest on a warmer then usual summer trip that was mostly because I ran out of ice cubes for my tea and that was scary for hubby. The idea I would not have my 'fix' of tea the next morning. It went into an insulated bag and stayed pretty much frozen for 2 days.
I precook a lot of our meats and freeze them in single meal packs. Along with the freezer ice packs. I take out what ever food packet to move to the med. ice chest. I also freeze a lot of our other meal stuff. Home made soups and casseroles etc. each in single meal packets. I have smallish 'boxes' to help keep everything clean and dry in case something leaks and gets gross dripping stuff. Makes keeping things safe and clean much easier.
I think it is just a trial till you find what works for you thing. As well as all the good ideas from everyone here. 
I use less ice and have more to work with thanks to so many good ideas found here. 
I am hoping to make an extra layer for my med ice chest by sewing a wool cover for it out of an old thick wool blanket may just be a waste of sewing time, but that's ok I have the time right now.

Ramblin McPete said:

I've used an Alpicool C20 the past 2 summers as a fridge but might try it as a freezer + a good cooler as you do. I pretty much know how much power it uses as a fridge but not as a freezer. It's plugged into Kill-a-Watt and shore power right now so I can get an idea of how much more it will use.

This is my new Whynter "Slim" 45 quart. Don't know how it works yet since it's going into an upcoming trailer. A friend has the regular more square sized one and likes it. His opens widthwise which I wish mine did vs lengthwise but it seems to be very solidly built with quality components and fittings. The brand is well recommended by folks here with a lot more knowledge than I.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMGP0099.JPG
    IMGP0099.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMGP0100.JPG
    IMGP0100.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMGP0080.JPG
    IMGP0080.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
We've had the Alpicool LG T50 for months now and while it has its own ideas about temp settings (we have it at 37 and 27 to get 40 fridge and 30 freezing) and we had starting trouble with the app, it's freaking awesome. The only thing we will need to do it take the cover off the motor and clean the dust and cat hair off it soonish. Whichever you get, do that every few months maintenance. I'm going to pull the old computer trick and glue cut up panty hose or stocking material on the inside of the vents to keep the stuff out better. At 350$ it will pay for itself in 9 months of not buying bagged ice at a 1$ for 7 pounds for us so worth it. It sips electricity on the eco setting and shuts off at 9vs so it can't drain you battery. We run on an extra car battery with a splitter so solar would probably rock this thing. Plus you can get a solar panel to hook directly to it in the day time. The company is amazingly responsible for a Chinese company, too. You get a year warentee with it. They have a great reputation.

I have a Engel 40 quart 12 volt unit that I use as a freezer since my trailer already has a good sized fridge with a small freezer. It's great but I would be crazy if I told you that 200 watts of solar would keep it running especially in the short days of low sun in the winter.