Portable Air Conditioner

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

euhuguenin

Reaction score
Anyone with experience with one of the portable units in a van when power is available.

Don't see any reason it wouldn't work for you.When me and Vic were living in a van,we removed a back window and installed a 5000btu.Worked good and we replaced the window when we sold the van.We now have an 8000btu in our camper that we run with a harbor freight 900 watt genny.

Interesting I started looking at them, just browsing, but gotta get back to looking, so far I have only come across larger units that are mostly 8000 btu, I found one that was 7000, but cannot remember where, I have always used a simple 5000 window unit, and they are great, my advice on them is get the cheaper one that has manual controls, because the humidity will eventually mess up the electronics for turning on/off and temp control, then the remotes go bad, and unless you find a universal remote, can find on amazon for most, the original replacements are almost as much as unit, combined exp. of using them in various trailer builds and my house in Florida, I know this is a fact.

The  Reason I am looking at portables is I can swap between van and trailer as needed without much fuss, just have separate exhaust in each camper.

Also if you are going to run off gernerator think about btu size, I like 5000 because my honda 3000 will run one in extreme heat for 21 plus hours, if you have a smaller gen, you are gonna use more fuel and will be louder all the time, the 3000 barely changes speed except for start up of a 5000.  so thats the draw back so far on portables unless i can find a  5000, which maybe too small for a van with heat load of sun?

Sorry for long reply but just throwin it out there, I always try and think of all aspects,  

LeeRevell said:
They are rather large for van use.

yes thats true, but was thinking of buying a runaway, and if I can use one for two, would be a plus, move from trailer to van, gonna be logging lots of miles, east to west, so I want a small trailer if van need a repair, I can sleep in trailer while van is in shop for a night, plus really nice to have room in van and a separate bedroom/cooking area, I have to think of my daughter too,(thats my dog), hey she is family and the old girl like to be cool and have comforts, she is old and love of my life so she will have all I can provide to make her life good. Well she is so darned sweet, LOL, 

I bought window units for three different campers cheaper than I could buy one portable unit. No take out/put back in.

My son and I used to race radio controlled cars and a lot of us had cargo trailers setup as pit areas to get out of the heat. A couple of the guys had the portable units larger than our window units and they did not cool as well.

This is just what worked for us, I understand other people might choose differently. Whatever makes you happy. LOL