Portable air compressor HDR????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cammalu

Reaction score
Even though my ride is still at camping World waiting repair and I don't know when I'm leaving I'm trying to make sure I have everything I'm going to need to take with me.

I'll be traveling through the Baja for the month of February and would like to be able to drop and raise air pressure as needed just in case I end up stuck.

I was at Walmart earlier looking at a few compressors and really don't know how good of a compressor I need.

I know HDR is always running around off road but have no idea how many others are or who might have a favorite compressor and why.

I'd like input from anyone who'd like to give it.

after many different electric air compressor and a lot of wasted money on them, I finally installed an engine driven On Board Air(OBA) system. there is no comparison. I tried cheap electric ones and I tried top of the line ones. Stern Wake has a good write up about the MV 50? somewhere on here. I assume you want an electric one. if you are interested in the engine mounted OBA I will post up about it. highdesertranger

Engine mounted? That sounds like a huge job? This would be something I'd have to have done. Is it easy to find someone to do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The MV 50 is wonderful even without SW's modifications.

Jim Amazon says it only weighs a pound? It's that compact?

I think that's a typo.
In the comparison chart it shows just over 10 pounds.

Aha! Thanks.

Ok. Looked around and cheapest was 54 plus 11 shipping and that beat my Amazon Prime. Anyone else have any cheap tool places they like to recommend before I buy today?

sorry I couldn't resist,

006.JPG

007.JPG

010.JPG

highdesertranger

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1.1 MB
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1 MB
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    911.4 KB
Looks like a modified AC compressor. Is that what it is?

Yeah HDR!!!!! That's wayyyyyyyy beyond me!!!!!!

yep a York AC compressor. and you really don't need to modify it. highdesertranger

HDR, I keep hearing good things about those York compressors. I need to remember to keep an eye out for them in the junkyards.

For occasional use, I have a Slime 12V compressor that works. It takes a while to air up big tiresbut it has never given me any problems. I used it daily on a leaking tire during a month-long trip.

Ok, got the mv 50 ordered! Anything else I might really need on a month long trip to Baja?

Thanks Bud. I got that

Cammalu said:
Ok, got the mv 50 ordered!    Anything else I might really need on a month long trip to Baja?

Baja?  ;)     I thought the MV50 was discontinued??  The MV90 is only about another $100. :D   I like hdr's air solution but yeah, I know the issue with that.

What? huh? Dennis? I missed something? Discontinued?

I was looking at them again a couple of days ago and looking down at specs it said discontinued by manufacturer. If you got it ordered maybe not though.

I got it ordered at Tool discounter. Didn't seem to be a problem. Now I've got to find a space for it ☹️