Popup camper: converting pullout beds to simple wall

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29785

Reaction score
Hello, y'all. I've picked up a pop up camper a couple weeks ago and have already ripped out my pull out beds. The roof that used to be over these beds is now the new flat walls. I've cut out the windows that used to be at the end of these 'wings' and will sew that onto the new wall and waterproof the sewn edges somehow. So now I'm sleeping on the dinette and it's quite comfortable. I'm just curious to see if anybody else have done something similar and see how they have done this. Maybe there's some stuff I could pick up to do my modification better. I'm currently still needing to sew the corners of the wall shut and hem the bottom of the new walls where the beds used to be. I have to say that this have significantly improved the setup and breakdown time and ease. It's so very cozy :)

I would like to see some pictures of that. If I understand you somehow got rid of the extensions on either end?

I agree with bullfrog some pictures would be neat. I’ve seen some people do some really wild stuff with all pop-ups.

Yup. I still need to sew it all up. currently using binder clips to hold the corners together but it's working well! I would categorize myself as a somewhat extreme minimalist. I'm basically willing to live out of my backpack and just hike fulltime but the camper just seems more fun to me at the moment heh. So just had to remove the 'excess' so to speak.

Lemme see how I can attach pics here.

Doesn't seem feasible to do so from my phone so I'll have to crack open my laptop for that soon. Give me a little time. Internet is a little iffy this far back in the property.

That is really cool. Now that you basically have a straight sided box it would be easy to use foam panels covered with “poor man’s fiberglass” hinged from the top or sides to make insulated folding walls. Apache used to make a hard sided pop up. Bet you got rid of a lot of weight as well, good job. One problem with pop ups was tire failure and bearing wear usually because of overloading but also because of their smaller diameter tires turning faster. Be sure to carry spare bearings, seals, cotter pins and grease as well as watching tire wear.

And yeah I'm planning on replacing the entire axle and spring assembly. Trying to find one that have the axle mounted under the spring for better ground clearance for the camper itself.

I already have the materials in mind for the walls themselves. The only thing that's stopping me is windows. I want large windows that's insulated and I'm finding them to be quite expensive. So I'm looking into making my own with aclyric sheet. The challenging part is figuring out how to make them well sealed and can open widely when I want it to. Just have to wait til the other more critical stuff like the axle gets replaced and repaired first then I can spend the money on the hard side walls. Might be a couple months. Hence why I'm not too worried about deep cleaning the canvas. It'll be gone soonish basically.

Thinking about it, I'm really liking the idea of the hinge. I didn't think about that before. I've been having trouble figuring out how I could set up the walls and break it down but the hinges would fix everything basically. Thank you very much!

for being a self described minimalist you sure are making things difficult.

I turned one of those Coleman tent trailers into an off road tent trailer in the early 90's and I can tell you one thing for sure. that frame will NOT hold up to off road use. I cut the tongue off of mine and bolted it to a frame I built. I no longer have the tent trailer part but I do have the frame. I turned it into a utility trailer and still use it extensively to this day.

highdesertranger

Time to start looking in the trash for discarded bed rails and a friend with a welder! Lol!!! A much better solution than building a heavy duty ladder rack and mounting the pop up box on top which some have done! Most off road trailers have very heavy duty axles, frames and couplers that allow for more articulation. We have a tritoon pontoon boat with tracks so you can back the pop up on it to go camping on the lake that shows up occasionally. Put a topper on the truck and use the pop up as a base is another option.

Bullfrog, that's what I'm leaning toward. I already have a topper for the truck (though it needs to be extended another 6 inches which I can do easily enough). If I really want to get into places that's not safe for me to tow the popup thru, then I'll just chuck my hiking kit in the back and sleep on my sleeping pad with warm sleeping bag and whatnot. Honestly not TOO worried about that sort of stuff.

Yep that is what I figured. Your pop up will serve you well especially if you insulate it with hard sides, really much more space than a van and having lived out of a back pack it will be luxurious, just be aware of it’s limitations, same with your truck. Do a lot of walking and scouting before taking them out somewhere.

Latest posts